Union and Disney reach a new contract

seascape

Original Poster
The last contract my union negotiated was a 4 year contract which expires in 2015. The raises were 0, 0, 1 and 1.75%. On top of that we agreed to pay more for medical. So in reality we take home less that 4 years ago and the next contract will probably be a bad one too. I understand minimum wages should be increased but most of the population is making less than they did 10 years ago. We have not had raises but I still support Disney giving fair and reasonable wages based on their profits and that my vacation costs have gone up also. Disney does make a fortune and I pay a fortune every year going. I love it. I don't mind paying the high prices because I know I still get a good deal. I appreciate everything the CM's do for me to make my vacation great. I want them to get a fair wage increase and this is not a bad deal. They still get medical. I know how much that costs and that it increases much faster than inflation. I just have one request, please do not strike if you vote the contract down. I can't cross a picket line but I want to enjoy WDW.

If I was a Disney Union leader, I would recommend my fellow employees to vote no on any contract that would eliminate future employees access to pensions....for those starting in 2016 (as was stated/rumored). I wonder how current employees feel about that. Then again, there are so few private companies that do pensions anymore, I don't think I could even list five.

natatomic

It's the difference between simply surviving and actually living. Yes, you don't need any of the above to SURVIVE and you certainly can survive on Disney wages but you can't actually enjoy life to the fullest because you are so tied down on just getting by surviving. Everything is always "someday". And that's no way for anyone to truly live.

I dunno, we don't exactly deprive ourselves. We still take a yearly vacation, our cars - while used - are still less than 5 years old, my husband got us annual passes to Uni for my birthday, and I got him a PS3 for his birthday a few years back. All it takes is a simple budget. It's not like we're eating Raman every night and huddling around a window a/c unit in our underwear.

I'm not trying to brag, I'm just saying we're doing far more than just "surviving." We live fairly comfortably. It's not always easy all the time, but very few things are in life. Again, it's just a matter of having a budget, sticking to it, and prioritizing.

ETA: I do realize that everyone's situation is different, and others may have hardships that we do not (though we have our own fair share, believe you me); therefore what works for us may not work for everyone. BUT I do believe it would work for more people than it wouldn't.

Last edited:

BigThunderMatt

I can't cross a picket line but I want to enjoy WDW.

You wouldn't have to. Were they ever to strike, they're expressly forbidden from doing so on WDW property. And to be honest if there ever was a strike I am pretty sure Disney would just schedule all their CPs on double time to make up for the lack of labor. Not that enough people would ever strike to make a significant impact.

FireChiefGoofy

CPs can't drive buses. No transportation is a huge impact.

You wouldn't have to. Were they ever to strike, they're expressly forbidden from doing so on WDW property. And to be honest if there ever was a strike I am pretty sure Disney would just schedule all their CPs on double time to make up for the lack of labor. Not that enough people would ever strike to make a significant impact.[/QUOTE

FireChiefGoofy

They would pull every salaried Cast Member with proficiencies to operate the busses and then utilize third party drivers. A strike wouldn't work.

There's not many salary CMs that hold CDL Class A with passenger endorsement. And many charters don't know how to run the routes at places like SSR and OKW. They would also need 40 foot buses to maneuver through some of the resorts (that's why the articulated buses and charters only go to certain resorts).

Not saying anything is going to happen, but the other outside unions will also honor our picket lines (UPS, etc).

And if you're thinking about the Disney delivery truck drivers driving a Disney bus, it's not gonna happen.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
They would pull every salaried Cast Member with proficiencies to operate the busses and then utilize third party drivers. A strike wouldn't work.
A strike wouldn't work? Who will operate the rides? Parades? Fireworks? Work at restaurants? Attractions, Food and Beverage, Custodial, Housekeeping, Security, and other CM's will not be working during a strike.

GymLeaderPhil

There's not many salary CMs that hold CDL Class A with passenger endorsement. And many charters don't know how to run the routes at places like SSR and OKW. They would also need 40 foot buses to maneuver through some of the resorts (that's why the articulated buses and charters only go to certain resorts).

Not saying anything is going to happen, but the other outside unions will also honor our picket lines (UPS, etc).

And if you're thinking about the Disney delivery truck drivers driving a Disney bus, it's not gonna happen.
They would utilize as many busses as possible and supplement with passenger vans. It wouldn't be pretty and there would definitely be longer than anticipated delays in service, but there are contingency plans on the books for pretty much any disruption of service on property.

A strike wouldn't work? Who will operate the rides? Parades? Fireworks? Work at restaurants? Attractions, Food and Beverage, Custodial, Housekeeping, Security, and other CM's will not be working during a strike.
Most cannot afford to strike a day let alone a week. The front line Cast Members typically live paycheck to paycheck. I'm not ruling out that a strike could occur with some or all of the unions, but it's highly unlikely. The unions don't wield that type of power.

There's a large amount of office and technical Cast that previously worked union roles as well leadership with training in their areas. The resort could potentially see a reduction in service capabilities, but they would still be able to operate.

Last edited:

dozer309

They would utilize as many busses as possible and supplement with passenger vans. It wouldn't be pretty and there would definitely be longer than anticipated delays in service, but there are contingency plans on the books for pretty much any disruption of service on property.

Most cannot afford to strike a day let alone a week. The front line Cast Members typically live paycheck to paycheck. I'm not ruling out that a strike could occur with some or all of the unions, but it's highly unlikely. The unions don't wield that type of power.

There's a large amount of office and technical Cast that previously worked union roles as well leadership with training in their areas. The resort could potentially see a reduction in service capabilities, but they would still be able to operate.
Does this include part timers too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom