Uni. with a 4 year old (first timers)

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
Hi
Long story, so I won't get into details... But I've just found out that we may spend one day at Universal Studios when we go to Orlando in 3 weeks. Except... this came as a surprise and I have no clue what could be interesting for our 4 year old daughter there. She is not familiar with most characters/stories.
If you have been there with a kid about her age, your insight will be greatly appreciated!

Club Cooloholic

Hi
Long story, so I won't get into details... But I've just found out that we may spend one day at Universal Studios when we go to Orlando in 3 weeks. Except... this came as a surprise and I have no clue what could be interesting for our 4 year old daughter there. She is not familiar with most characters/stories.
If you have been there with a kid about her age, your insight will be greatly appreciated!
That age you can't go wrong with Barney(even though neither of my kids watched the show they like the live show at uni) Fivel's playland and Curious George,. Seuss...etc. But make sure they ride ET. Even if they have no idea who he is its a great ride. Be warned the fire breathing dragon in the middle of Diagon Alley is hard to avoid and a bit scary...especially at night!

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
ET
Shrek
Animal Actors Live
Sponegebob M&G at Spongebob Storepants
Fival's Playland
Party in the Park with Barney
Curious George
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster (similar to Barnstormer)

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
Thanks. :)
The Universal studios website is not very clear IMO, for instance I couldn't find meet and greets. Glad you guys can give advice!

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Thanks. :)
The Universal studios website is not very clear IMO, for instance I couldn't find meet and greets. Glad you guys can give advice!
Meet and Greets are more sporadic, They will get to meet Barney after the show, as for other characters they sort of just show up in random spots, or after a parade. My kids got to meet a bunch by being in the area where the parade ended and then afterward Spongebob or whoever is featured dances and hangs with kids. Again, I prefer this to how Disney has made it so formal by making just meeting Characters an attraction. It makes it a little more special when it happens randomly and then you don't feel like a jerk if you were not able to get Fastpasses to meet Elsa or whoever lol!

MKCP 1985

Several years ago a couple of friends of mine took their daughter of that age to Universal and not knowing really much about the attractions went into the first attraction they encountered. It was Terminator 3D, and it was really scary to the little princess. When they exited, the next attraction they encountered was Barney the Dinosaur and their daughter liked Barney so much and had been so scared by Terminator that she would only let them take her to the Barney show for the rest of the day.

Don't be like my friends. Scope out your plan in advance! :joyfull:

Club Cooloholic

Several years ago a couple of friends of mine took their daughter of that age to Universal and not knowing really much about the attractions went into the first attraction they encountered. It was Terminator 3D, and it was really scary to the little princess. When they exited, the next attraction they encountered was Barney the Dinosaur and their daughter liked Barney so much and had been so scared by Terminator that she would only let them take her to the Barney show for the rest of the day.

Don't be like my friends. Scope out your plan in advance! :joyfull:
Scope out a plan or look at the name of the attraction before you walk in lol! Honestly what were they thinking :), I am betting it went something like this. Husband-Honey lets hit T2 Wife- I think that might scare the little one..Husband-Nah she will be fine, it's a theater it doesn't even move we can take her glasses off!
We made the mistake of talking my Dino loving 5 yr old into riding Jurrassic Park...rest of the trip she recounted how it was the scariest ride ever and she would never trust us again

Mike C

Jurassic Park has Camp Jurassic which is an absolutely amazing play/exploration area which rivals Tom Sawyer Island at Disney. Make sure you walk back toward the caves in there, it has some really well themed elements in it. It also has Pteranodon Flyers as well, which requires a kid to be with you to ride. The downstairs part of the Jurassic Park discovery has the dino egg hatching and more also.

The main river adventure ride would likely be too scary, but Camp Jurassic and the Discovery Center are really good for kids.

BrerJon

All the above suggestions are good. Adding to the character spots, Scooby Doo, Woody Woodpecker and others often meet in the area by the make-up show, and there are occasional Simpsons characters in Springfield but this is quite rare.

Attractions wise, I'd second Camp Jurassic. They (and you!) can spend hours exploring the nets and amber caves, and the Pteranadon Flyers is designed for kids that age pretty much.

danpam1024

The Animal Actors show is fun too, but with only one day, I would stick to the ET/Feivel/Barney area, Minions (long waits), Shrek, at IOA I agree the JP Discovery area is fantastic and Camp Jurassic is amazing (I lost my kid in there once- don't judge- he was fast!), Me Good Ship Olive near Popeye, Storm force accelerators (think tea cups), Spiderman, and all of Suess Landing :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom