Uni Locks Away Patent for Rainy Day

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
So, rather than continue turning this into the 1000th thread about how MM+ is the devil, perhaps we contemplate what Universal may or may not do with the asset noted in this patent filing.

It seems as though some of the members here know what the intentions are, but the rest of us don't. And we can only hypothesize. Will they move forward with the implementation of this system right away? Will they wait and let Disney work out all the kinks in their system, then implement their own?

Or is was this patent simply designed and filed as an "ace up the sleeve" in the event they don't come up with something better?

Disneyhead'71

I readily admit that this area is way out of my frame of reference, so forgive me for my ignorance. But wouldn't the need for a defensive patent mean that you had some intention (no matter how remote) of in some way utilizing the stuff in the patent and didn't want to get sued? Using your example of a virtual tip board, if UNI thinks that might be a good idea down the line, you apply for a defensive patent. But if UNI was of the opinion that an app allowing a guest to schedule ride reservations is a bad idea and never going to happen or that mining guest data is not in their interest and they wouldn't do it, what's the need for a defensive patent? Why defend against what you would never consider doing?
You take out a defensive patent if you know the guys down the street, who invented the destination theme park resort, are dumping over a Billion $$$$ into something they believe will be an industry game changer. Even if you don't believe that it's going to work out as planned.

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
You take out a defensive patent if yout know the guys down the street, who invented the destination theme park resort, are dumping over a Billion $$$$ in something they believe will be an industry game changer. Even if you don't believe that it is going to work as planned.

Similar to how many businesses will wait to see where WalMart builds a new store in a town, then build where they do. Let the big boys, with the deep pockets, do all the market research, and ride on their coat tails.

homerdance

Glad you enjoyed your trip - at least someone had some fun. I know we are dumping 800+ DVC points because of it.
I don't think you selling 800+ DVC points is going to have the effect you think it will on Disney or DVC. DVC already got their money, and Disney will continue to get theirs when you sell your points and the new owners continue to provide DVC resorts with the high occupancy rates they always will have, and the DVC resorts will continue to provide a steady stream of guests to Disney Parks. Your better off using your points to trade into RCI or staying at a off-site DVC if you bought your points resale. OR using your points at Grand Cali instead.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't think you selling 800+ DVC points is going to have the effect you think it will on Disney or DVC. DVC already got their money, and Disney will continue to get theirs when you sell your points and the new owners continue to provide DVC resorts with the high occupancy rates they always will have, and the DVC resorts will continue to provide a steady stream of guests to Disney Parks. Your better off using your points to trade into RCI or staying at a off-site DVC if you bought your points resale. OR using your points at Grand Cali instead.

It's going to have no effect whatsoever on Disney, I'm choosing not to support a company which does not deliver the value it once did. Recall I also have premier passports which currently cannot be used with MDE. I can sell now at breakeven or a small profit over what I have into the points.

My two experiences with MDE have been miserable spending hours with tech support with tech support ultimately able to do nothing - and the attitude of 'Yeah it's broken what do you want us to do about it" thats not a vacation.

I'm sure I can find some sucker to buy the points and the MF's will be better spent fattening retirement account.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I readily admit that this area is way out of my frame of reference, so forgive me for my ignorance. But wouldn't the need for a defensive patent mean that you had some intention (no matter how remote) of in some way utilizing the stuff in the patent and didn't want to get sued? Using your example of a virtual tip board, if UNI thinks that might be a good idea down the line, you apply for a defensive patent. But if UNI was of the opinion that an app allowing a guest to schedule ride reservations is a bad idea and never going to happen or that mining guest data is not in their interest and they wouldn't do it, what's the need for a defensive patent? Why defend against what you would never consider doing?

You can be infringing on a patent even if your product or service is not a copy of the originally patented product or service the key is the claims. So if you had an electronic tip board for a smartphone from holder A if patent holder A claimed 'Ride wait time displayed on a smartphone or tablet' potentially all systems which performed a similar function could be considered infringing even if they had nothing to do with theme parks. Hence the defensive nature of patent for queue management. Now if someone comes up with a similar system it cannot duplicate the claims made in UNI's patent. Hence the 'defensive' nature of the patent.

Jimmy Thick

So, rather than continue turning this into the 1000th thread about how MM+ is the devil, perhaps we contemplate what Universal may or may not do with the asset noted in this patent filing.

With pleasure.

First thing is, I personally don't buy anything about this being some kind of "defensive" patent. Second, I also find it hard to believe anyone knows what this patent could possibly be when no one knew anything about it to begin with. Call it a cops intuition. Or just plain common sense. Remember, Universal is laughing at Disney over MM+...

Now what could it be?

My thought is this. I don't think Universal is going to roll this out, unless MM+ takes off at WDW. Sadly for the MM+ haters, it will be a smashing success at WDW, so I expect Universal to do their due diligence. Why? Not because they want to but because they will have to. It will be a standard in hospitality. Universal will have absolutely no choice but to kowtow. If you real the patent claims, its exactly the same as MM+, and while some might think there will be differences, I highly doubt it by looking at the claims. It will have some form of usage medium and the only one that makes sense for theme parks, or in Universals case amusement parks would be the lovely band around the wrist.

Get used to it.

But now the application of MM+ at Universal, how does this impact the resort?

Could this become a all in one application for all onsite resort guests? Will this impact deluxe guests front of the line access? Unfortunately after listening to that podcast I think this will end the free front of the line access permanently. Now Universal is building a moderate/value resort that will need to have noticeable occupancy percentages to appease stockholders. Comcast stock is very, VERY iffy at this point in time, a huge unexpected downgrade could be disastrous in the coming years. Rolling out their version of MM+ for all resort guests would eliminate the class system currently in place, and force guests to spend more time at the Universal resort. Front of the line is such an excellent perk, you really can knock out both parks in a day with it. Eliminating the perk and substituting it with a MM+ alternative would prolong stays significantly, making for more much needed revenue. And while it kills Universals best resort offering, it doesn't substantially hurt the overall product.

In all honestly, I applaud Universal to implement a MM+ system because sooner rather than later, it will be what consumers expect, it shows me they are trying hard. Its going to cost them a fortune, make no bones about it, but it will be worth it, just like Disney.

Jimmy Thick- If you can't beat em' emulate them!!!

alissafalco

With pleasure.

First thing is, I personally don't buy anything about this being some kind of "defensive" patent. Second, I also find it hard to believe anyone knows what this patent could possibly be when no one knew anything about it to begin with. Call it a cops intuition. Or just plain common sense. Remember, Universal is laughing at Disney over MM+...

Now what could it be?

My thought is this. I don't think Universal is going to roll this out, unless MM+ takes off at WDW. Sadly for the MM+ haters, it will be a smashing success at WDW, so I expect Universal to do their due diligence. Why? Not because they want to but because they will have to. It will be a standard in hospitality. Universal will have absolutely no choice but to kowtow. If you real the patent claims, its exactly the same as MM+, and while some might think there will be differences, I highly doubt it by looking at the claims. It will have some form of usage medium and the only one that makes sense for theme parks, or in Universals case amusement parks would be the lovely band around the wrist.

Get used to it.

Could this become a all in one application for all onsite resort guests? Will this impact deluxe guests front of the line access? Unfortunately after listening to that podcast I think this will end the free front of the line access permanently. Now Universal is building a moderate/value resort that will need to have noticeable occupancy percentages to appease stockholders. Comcast stock is very, VERY iffy at this point in time, a huge unexpected downgrade could be disastrous in the coming years. Rolling out their version of MM+ for all resort guests would eliminate the class system currently in place, and force guests to spend more time at the Universal resort. Front of the line is such an excellent perk, you really can knock out both parks in a day with it. Eliminating the perk and substituting it with a MM+ alternative would prolong stays significantly, making for more much needed revenue. And while it kills Universals best resort offering, it doesn't substantially hurt the overall product.

In all honestly, I applaud Universal to implement a MM+ system because sooner rather than later, it will be what consumers expect, it shows me they are trying hard. Its going to cost them a fortune, make no bones about it, but it will be worth it, just like Disney.

Really? Time will tell with that one....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With pleasure.

Now what could it be?

Get used to it.

Maybe I missed something, but is there a particular reason why this would eliminate the Express pass? I would think that it would simply be integrated into the RFID chip. Resort guests and those that paid for Express Pass would scan their bands for entry into the current Express Pass line. Off property and Value resort guests could not.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe I missed something, but is there a particular reason why this would eliminate the Express pass? I would think that it would simply be integrated into the RFID chip. Resort guests and those that paid for Express Pass would scan their bands for entry into the current Express Pass line. Off property and Value resort guests could not.

Nowhere did I mention Disney in this, This patent appears to be purely defensive so that no one ELSE can come up with a similar idea, study UNI's operations and start charging them rent for 'patent infringement'.

There are companies whose business is just this buying up obscure patents and looking at major companies for process/product matches and suing for 'patent infringement' and settling out of court for a few million dollars.

A good example of a patent 'troll' is Project Paperless

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/patent-trolls-want-1000-for-using-scanners/

This is why one files 'defensive' patents

WDWDad13

It's going to have no effect whatsoever on Disney, I'm choosing not to support a company which does not deliver the value it once did. Recall I also have premier passports which currently cannot be used with MDE. I can sell now at breakeven or a small profit over what I have into the points.

My two experiences with MDE have been miserable spending hours with tech support with tech support ultimately able to do nothing - and the attitude of 'Yeah it's broken what do you want us to do about it" thats not a vacation.

I'm sure I can find some sucker to buy the points and the MF's will be better spent fattening retirement account.

for someone so anti-Disney everything, you sure did spend a lot of money on Premier Passport tickets and DVC maintenance fees on 800 points within the past year - just sayin ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Nowhere did I mention Disney in this, This patent appears to be purely defensive so that no one ELSE can come up with a similar idea, study UNI's operations and start charging them rent for 'patent infringement'.

There are companies whose business is just this buying up obscure patents and looking at major companies for process/product matches and suing for 'patent infringement' and settling out of court for a few million dollars.

A good example of a patent 'troll' is Project Paperless

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/01/patent-trolls-want-1000-for-using-scanners/

This is why one files 'defensive' patents
What are you even talking about? I did not quote your post, nor did I even mention Disney or patent trolls.

Jimmy was referencing a podcast that mentioned that this system, if it was implemented at US/IOA, would mean the end for Express pass.

ABQ

What are you even talking about? I did not quote your post, nor did I even mention Disney or patent trolls.

Jimmy was referencing a podcast that mentioned that this system, if it was implemented at US/IOA, would mean the end for Express pass.
Well they may just rename Express Pass, a la Fastpass to Pastpass+ and still require it to be fee based.
The so called "Defensive Patent that no one really knows what it means" DPTNORWIM does have a little blurb, again, may mean nothing as the patent may be meaningless states this:

The attraction reservation capability may be automatically added
in some embodiments as a free component of the ticket. In
other embodiments, the attraction reservation capability may
be a user-selected option, which may be free or may require
an additional fee.

awilliams4

for someone so anti-Disney everything, you sure did spend a lot of money on Premier Passport tickets and DVC maintenance fees on 800 points within the past year - just sayin ;)

They spend a lot of time trying to prove to themselves they don't want to go to Disney anymore on a Disney Fan board as well?!?!?!?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If someone has 800+ DVC points, and they plan to sell them all due to FP+, who is the sucker?

I bought the points long ago when WDW show quality was quite a bit higher, Decided that it was time to vote with dollars when I ended up spending 8+ hours with GR on trip in August fixing 'glitches', Don't bother trying to link a Premier Passport to MDE it will NOT work.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I was not anti-Disney until August where out of a 4 day vacation I spent 8+ hours of time with GR and MDE tech support trying to get Premier Passports and AP's linked to MDE, Amazing how a few miserable hours out of a too-short vacation can re-align one's view of Disney. Especially as I flew in to meet family and flew back to a customer directly from Disney so their gross incompetence denied me a big chunk of time with my family.

And no I did not get any freebies out of Disney for all that time wasted trying to fix issues Disney created. I did write a scathing letter to the drones at Celebration Place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom