UnDISCOVERed Future World Observations

JohnD

Original Poster
1. Our tour guide was Robert. He was excellent. However, the first 45 minutes were his bringing us up to speed on Walt Disney history while not once leaving Guest Relations. Time that could have been spent on other things not currently covered.

2. Saw backstage of guest relations. Showed us how CMs log in and receive assignments for the day. That's right. They don't do the same thing the whole day.

3. Showed us some of Innoventons "on stage"

4. Saw backstage between Imagination/Canada and The Land/Soarin

5. Rode Soarin in first row. Robert confirmed that Disney is working on a new "around the world film." Like StarTours it could have randomly generated scenes meaning guests will want to ride more than once. He confirmed there is room for two more theaters but at least one more will be built for the new film. It's the most popular ride in WDW.

Trivia: Imagineers on the film are the ones paddling. They're horrible. Michael Eisner tees off. Mickey on the golf ball and fireworks. Filming of LA traffic was spotty at best. Disney asked if they could film again. LA said "No." So they sped up the film for effect. Traffic still doesn't move. Admiral of USS FDR personally had the jets put out on the ship which they never do. Disney didn't ask. He volunteered. Effect of going backward during fireworks deliberately timed before seats are lowered. This happens at the end of the DCA ride. Imagineers figured it might as well be part of ride experience so timed with last FW.

6. Saw second floor of Imagination. Learned that when Kodak left they took Dreamfinder and Figment with them. WDW bought back Figment and uses Dreamfinder on a limited basis. Robert says Imagination 1.0 unlikely to come back.

7. Saw HP VIP lounge of Mission: Space. Learned that riders are kept in a re-acclimation room with for 20 minutes before leaving.

8. Rest of tour backstage. Stood under track at TT. Showed us how it purposely pivots when a car goes over it. Peeked in garage. Each vehicle has 22 tires. Originally each tire burned away after one week. Now they're almost 100% rubber and are replaced about every three months.

9. Walked into CM services where lockers, cafeteria, costuming, etc. are located.

10. Finished just backstage of China where we received a Figment tour pin. Returned "On Stage" to House of Good Fortune in China.

Bonus: Guest Relations invited us to special viewing of Illuminations in front of Italy Pavillion. Our names were on a list. It's right on the rail next to the lagoon. Excellent view.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

My guess is that the Dreamfinder bit is total BS. I think it has been stated on this board before that tour guides (even official Disney ones) have been caught lying about certain things in the past (no links but I recall posts about this before). One of the best examples is that the company as a whole in this modern day consistently lies about Walt Disney's influence on Magic Kingdom and WDW as a whole. Take what tour guides say with a grain of salt.

Imagination was actually set to close early this year for a new overhaul before the plug was pulled again. Even cast members in the area were notified of this, common knowledge apparently (even beyond forum rumors). And one of the rumored pitches for the new version of the ride supposedly involved Dreamfinder. Also, D23 last year was full of Dreamfinder references including an on-stage ridethrough video arranged by Tony Baxter. He even spoke out against executives on stage that Dreamfinder belonged in the ride again and they should never have gotten rid of him, urging them to bring him back. None of this fits with Kodak running off with the rights to the character at all.

Monorail Lime

Anything cast members say when they go "off script" should be taken with a grain of salt. Guest Relations tour guides are not exempt from this.

JohnD

Original Poster
Great review. But I'm with @MrNonacho on #7.....what do you mean by that one? Riders don't "re-acclimate".

The room has games and things. It's the same type of setup after TT or SSE. Maybe "kept" is too strong a word. WDW strongly recommends staying for about 20 minutes after the ride to allow your equilibrium to re-adjust. Also I'm told one of the many reasons people get queasy is they go on mad dash from a 68 degree room being subjected to g forces right out into the Florida heat.

JohnD

Original Poster
My guess is that the Dreamfinder bit is total BS. I think it has been stated on this board before that tour guides (even official Disney ones) have been caught lying about certain things in the past (no links but I recall posts about this before). One of the best examples is that the company as a whole in this modern day consistently lies about Walt Disney's influence on Magic Kingdom and WDW as a whole. Take what tour guides say with a grain of salt.

Imagination was actually set to close early this year for a new overhaul before the plug was pulled again. Even cast members in the area were notified of this, common knowledge apparently (even beyond forum rumors). And one of the rumored pitches for the new version of the ride supposedly involved Dreamfinder. Also, D23 last year was full of Dreamfinder references including an on-stage ridethrough video arranged by Tony Baxter. He even spoke out against executives on stage that Dreamfinder belonged in the ride again and they should never have gotten rid of him, urging them to bring him back. None of this fits with Kodak running off with the rights to the character at all.

I asked specifically if Imagination 1.0 would be returning. He said likely not but agreed that Imagination is in need of a refurb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom