Underwhelmed at AKL

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Now don't get me wrong... The main lodge @ Jambo House is beautiful and I really, really liked it.

But a bunch of things left me rather... Underwhelmed.

- Bus service: Poor - more so inbound than outbound. It seems we waited ages at EC, MK and AK for a bus. And they were more often than not packed to standing room only. Outbound was a bit better, as at least there was a monitor with wait times, and never crowded (just Kidani Village folks onboard). Seems to me that adding one (or two) additional buses into the mix would improve things drastically.

- Location: It's far away - from everything - except AK. For those late nights at MK, it's a real drag. Also for going back to the resort for a quick R&R midday. Because of this reason more than any other, I probably won't choose it again.

- Food: Way overpriced (even for Disney). $18 for a cheeseburger (plus $3 plus 18% for room service). $21 for a gristly Baanli French Dip sandwich. $2.78 for a large coffee at Mara. Worst of all was Boma. $45 (or was it $43?) per person. One beer with dinner plus tip and it was $65 or so. And the only real substance was three meats. Desserts were meh. Then there's the marketplace. I get it - it's convenient. But $3 for a bottle of water? No coffee pods for the rooms (only K Cups - seriously?)

- Smoking/vaping areas: There's ONE for each resort (Kidani/Jambo). You have to walk all the way out, in front of the main building and hide in a little alcove in the weeds. On days where it's 90ºF+ every day at 80% humidity... This is not fun. Barely any shade.

- Savannah view room: I paid good money (though I got a really good deal) for a room overlooking the Sunset Savannah. Perhaps the tiniest area to view and aside from a rare ostrich walk-by, all there ever was to see were a couple of large birds occasionally. Since there's a loop for vehicles, combined with the small size, it looked more like a muddy track than a "savannah." Complete with a swampy looking "pond" in the middle. Pretty lame, especially after promising your toddler that they'd see animals out there every day. The room was rather cramped. Aptly themed however, and inline with Moderate level accommodations.

- Front desk service: I didn't see my advanced check-in update with our room number so we waited on line at the front desk. It took ages. Likewise the concierge... There were always lines, and always slow.

- Pool: Disney keeps their pools at 85ºF year round, but the pool felt a LOT warmer than that to me. It was not at all refreshing; more like a bathtub. Again, in 90ºF+ weather... That just isn't fun. I only went in (briefly) one day. Not worth returning for. The surrounds were very nice though, and a huge space overall.

- Housekeeping: Lackluster. When we got into our room, there was a pillow case left on top of the TV/armoire. A day or so later, the DW stepped on a bobby pin on the floor. Consumables were restocked a bit randomly.

I really did enjoy the resort and my stay there, but I did have the aforementioned issues with it. I'm sure it looks even more amazing in the lobby during the holidays. But aside from being around the corner from AK, it's just too far away from everything else. I probably won't be staying there again, sad to say. It just didn't deliver on the hype.[/b]

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

We're staying at AKL in September and luckily your unfortunate experiences won't affect us too much. My main worry is the pool. We will be spending a lot of time around the pool and to hear that it's too warm is a let down. We stayed at a value resort last July and I know exactly what your talking about. We will be only going to AK while we're there so bus service won't bother us too much either. Boma has never been a restaurant that we like, tried it 4 years ago and have never been back and were non smokers so no treks through the savannah for an hourly toke. Sorry your experience wasn't the best. Thanks for the opinion.

correcaminos

I am not sure the food complaint is really valid. The prices at Mara are pretty close to prices of other CS resort places we've been to.

Also smoking/vaping is not healthy for animals so glad they have them out of the way. Bus service from resorts was very miss for us our last trip. Was not very happy no matter where we were coming/going to. Driving feels like a better option all the time to me.

Sorry the rest also wasn't up to your expectations. While we love it there, it isn't for everyone.

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
We're staying at AKL in September and luckily your unfortunate experiences won't affect us too much. My main worry is the pool. We will be spending a lot of time around the pool and to hear that it's too warm is a let down. We stayed at a value resort last July and I know exactly what your talking about. We will be only going to AK while we're there so bus service won't bother us too much either. Boma has never been a restaurant that we like, tried it 4 years ago and have never been back and were non smokers so no treks through the savannah for an hourly toke. Sorry your experience wasn't the best. Thanks for the opinion.

It's definitely a YMMV, of course. At least as far as the pool goes, I suspect with lower daily temps that the pool might actually be/feel more like 85ºF. When it's 90º+ every day and evenings only cool down to 75ºF or so, it's hard for them to cool down at all. Not to mention all the people at the resort(s) right now. It was a packed house (and the pool equally so).

I'll never go back to Boma, but Sanaa, definitely. We loved that restaurant on a previous trip.

I am not sure the food complaint is really valid. The prices at Mara are pretty close to prices of other CS resort places we've been to.

Also smoking/vaping is not healthy for animals so glad they have them out of the way. Bus service from resorts was very miss for us our last trip. Was not very happy no matter where we were coming/going to. Driving feels like a better option all the time to me.

Sorry the rest also wasn't up to your expectations. While we love it there, it isn't for everyone.

Mara is quick service, so sure - it's probably on par with other resorts. The other restaurants at AKL (Boma, Jika and Sanaa) however...

At the "Swalphin" the bus service was awesome. It's much more centrally located, so quick trips to EC (though we just walked the Boardwalk and in) and MK, even HS. AK was a bit farther though, obviously.

POR was a bit tougher; longer waits and of course a million stops just at the resort alone.

luvinthemajik

Front desk service: I didn't see my advanced check-in update with our room number so we waited on line at the front desk. It took ages. Likewise the concierge... There were always lines, and always slow.
We had our first experience at AKL, Jambo House in mid June this year, and this is the only piece of our stay that we scratched our collective heads at. Never got a "Your rooms ready text, very long lines, very slow, and kept requring us to re do our room access and credit card authorizations, every day...:banghead: We did get a noitce that we had been packed up and moved, to Contemporary,o_O ( what ??? we were staying at AKL only.) That being said, We loved the food and selection at Mara, their QS. Matter of fact, that's one of the main reasons why we will go back. My grands loved the pool,while my hubby and I really enjoyed the Hot Tubs nestled in the rock alcoves in 2 different locations. Buses seemed on par with every where else we've stayed, and we knew going in that proximity to the other parks was going to seem like a long ride.

I'm sorry you had a less than stellar expeience,but hope you are able to stay on site again and really find your special place. Thanks for the info.
Have a great week.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Mara is quick service, so sure - it's probably on par with other resorts. The other restaurants at AKL (Boma, Jika and Sanaa) however...

At the "Swalphin" the bus service was awesome. It's much more centrally located, so quick trips to EC (though we just walked the Boardwalk and in) and MK, even HS. AK was a bit farther though, obviously.
Sanaa is one of our favorites and not poorly priced to us at least compared to some. I mean Oliva's is probably a better price point but Sanaa at least wasn't out there. Boma on the other hand....
Jiko is not one we'd pay for often anyway as we usually avoid signature restaurants now at Disney (just not a good value for us).

I've had hit or miss at Swalphin. You are forgetting it is still Disney bussing and at times can share with Boardwalk. Our last Boardwalk stay we had to share sometimes and the service wasn't great. Beach Club this June was downright awful. I halfway wonder if they are trying to get us to want to use the Minnie Vans in the future LOL We had people who had to wait 45 minutes to get on the bus. Then the driver got lost and took 25 minutes to get to MK. I was so annoyed as were others. It is nice to walk to and from Epcot and DHS though.

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Sanaa is one of our favorites and not poorly priced to us at least compared to some. I mean Oliva's is probably a better price point but Sanaa at least wasn't out there. Boma on the other hand....
Jiko is not one we'd pay for often anyway as we usually avoid signature restaurants now at Disney (just not a good value for us).

I've had hit or miss at Swalphin. You are forgetting it is still Disney bussing and at times can share with Boardwalk. Our last Boardwalk stay we had to share sometimes and the service wasn't great. Beach Club this June was downright awful. I halfway wonder if they are trying to get us to want to use the Minnie Vans in the future LOL We had people who had to wait 45 minutes to get on the bus. Then the driver got lost and took 25 minutes to get to MK. I was so annoyed as were others. It is nice to walk to and from Epcot and DHS though.

Yeah, we loved Sanaa too and the prices aren't bad (but we didn't go this time around).

Oh, I'm well aware that the Swalphin buses are Disney's... Still, overall impression was good. Buses arrived quickly at the resort, though sure, made a few stops. Compared to POR it wasn't bad at all since the stops are fewer and closer together. I'm surprised Beach Club was so bad though, ugh! Goes to show that the resorts might be in different price categories but we're all stuck with the same dismal buses. I think a LOT of it has to do with overall 'World attendance. Clearly things move along better during the "off times" (and when we typically go). July was not our first choice, clearly... But it was a matter of "hey, we're in FL anyway - let's make a detour through WDW on the way home."

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Several sources (including Disney's own site) list the year-round pool temperature at 82 degrees, not 85. And in summer those three degrees make a difference.

I spent several days last week in the WL pool. The water felt cool in the morning but even as the day warmed up and more guests arrived in the pool the water still felt refreshing.

We ate at both quick service restaurants at WL and the price point is very similar to the Mara...but then so are the QS locations in the parks. Bottled water is $3 no matter where you go.

We stay on property several times a year and bus service is hit or miss, no real way to predict it.

We had a Sunset Savannah room a couple years ago and had fantastic animal sightings. The time we had an Arusha (supposedly "prime") view, there were very few animals. Again, something that cannot be predicted.

Good thing you did not go to Sanaa. You and @helenabear might be in for sticker shock. We went in June and the prices had increased significantly in a year...especially for the Potjie inspired.

correcaminos

Good thing you did not go to Sanaa. You and @helenabear might be in for sticker shock. We went in June and the prices had increased significantly in a year...especially for the Potjie inspired.
We ate at Sanaa in June as well. For Disney sit down, no sticker shock for us. One of the few quality meals we get there.

Yeah, we loved Sanaa too and the prices aren't bad (but we didn't go this time around).

Oh, I'm well aware that the Swalphin buses are Disney's... Still, overall impression was good. Buses arrived quickly at the resort, though sure, made a few stops. Compared to POR it wasn't bad at all since the stops are fewer and closer together. I'm surprised Beach Club was so bad though, ugh! Goes to show that the resorts might be in different price categories but we're all stuck with the same dismal buses. I think a LOT of it has to do with overall 'World attendance. Clearly things move along better during the "off times" (and when we typically go). July was not our first choice, clearly... But it was a matter of "hey, we're in FL anyway - let's make a detour through WDW on the way home."
We have found no rhyme or reason for the bus system. Very hit or miss with service. We try to avoid it more now when possible.

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Several sources (including Disney's own site) list the year-round pool temperature at 82 degrees, not 85. And in summer those three degrees make a difference.

I spent several days last week in the WL pool. The water felt cool in the morning but even as the day warmed up and more guests arrived in the pool the water still felt refreshing.

We ate at both quick service restaurants at WL and the price point is very similar to the Mara...but then so are the QS locations in the parks. Bottled water is $3 no matter where you go.

We stay on property several times a year and bus service is hit or miss, no real way to predict it.

We had a Sunset Savannah room a couple years ago and had fantastic animal sightings. The time we had an Arusha (supposedly "prime") view, there were very few animals. Again, something that cannot be predicted.

Hmm, for some reason I had 85ºF in my head. Okay, so 82ºF is the optimal, year-round temp. The pool at AKL was still definitely warmer.

The bottled water was a bad example (regardless of how obscene $3/per is). A banana was $2.12. I forgot what else, but yeah...

Bus service is hit or miss, no doubt. But when there are less people, there's less crowding at least, less holdups, etc. I maintain that less people = better service, even if slightly.

Wild animals are certainly known to be quite unpredictable. At any rate, there was nothing worth watching on the Sunset Savannah during our stay. They feed the larger animals in the middle of the resort, so I would imagine they tend to gravitate to that area, at least during feeding times. They did drive the cart around, baiting the ostrich with food... Which only seemed to lure it that one day we witnessed it.

I hadn't even looked at the Sanaa menu this time around, no doubt the prices have gone up since our last meal there in March 2013.

correcaminos

My party of 3 ordered the exact same meal in June 2016 as we did in June 2017 (I keep receipts.) The total for dinner only a year later increased by $28....so yeah, I had sticker shock.
We purchased more this year because we had the better discounts (we don't always get the bread service). We also don't buy the same thing every time (kids meal though does happen, IIRC the choices are similarly priced though) so no way to compare like you did. I just know it didn't phase us to see the prices. We have gone at least once a year for the last 3 or so years too. We didn't notice much but we do always get a discount or something there anyway - which does sometimes vary from year to year. I blame Disney not the restaurant though for any price increases.

CaptainAmerica

At the "Swalphin" the bus service was awesome.
Depends on the time of year. It's not uncommon for them to share the bus with the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and/or Beach Club. AKL never shares.

I hadn't even looked at the Sanaa menu this time around, no doubt the prices have gone up since our last meal there in March 2013.
Lol. "I haven't eaten there in four years but the food at AKL sucks!"

Fascinating. I've only ever paid for standard view and I always get rooms like this:

yXrPAof.png

kirstenoel

We've stayed at AKL a few times and absolutely love it! However, after our trip last September, we've decided to try the Yacht Club this year as we found the buses an issue - likewise, we waited ages for inbound buses. It is difficult to get out and about in the evenings because it's so far away, especially as our room was a 10-minute walk from reception. We'll miss Jiko this year - wonderful dining experience.

Jess G

During my May trip I found the pool temp to be very refreshing.

Edit: I didn't even tell you that I rebooked AKL for Feb!! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Depends on the time of year. It's not uncommon for them to share the bus with the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and/or Beach Club. AKL never shares.

Yes, I suppose it does. But the time I went, it was awesome - even with shared stops. As I said earlier, those other resorts are literally right next door and even with - the overall distance to MK is half that to AKL and it felt both quicker and better served. Not to mention you can take a short walk right into EC (without the massive lines at the front of park).

Lol. "I haven't eaten there in four years but the food at AKL sucks!"

I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't your strong suit (and you'd rather be "that guy"). I never said the food sucked. In fact, I raved about Sanaa in another post. What I did say, is that it's overpriced for what it is. Overall it was quite tasty, and the gristly Baanli French Dip was the exception. Regardless, $18 for a cheeseburger is ridiculous. It's not like it was Kobe beef or anything extraordinary.

Fascinating. I've only ever paid for standard view and I always get rooms like this:

Bonny for you! But that wasn't my experience (and what we're talking about in this thread). And frankly, that will always be more important to me than yours. Had you booked a room on the Sunset Savannah during the week I did, you would've had the same experience.

Kevin_W

We stayed at AKL for the first time ever and had really great bus service, but that can be luck of the draw. I think the "it's father away" complaint, though common, is overblown. Someone compiled all the times and AK is closer, obviously, and the other parks are an average of maybe 3 minutes longer transit. so over the course of a week vacation you are spending maybe an extra 30 minutes in a bus. To me, it is not that big of a deal.

Hockey89

It's definitely a YMMV, of course. At least as far as the pool goes, I suspect with lower daily temps that the pool might actually be/feel more like 85ºF. When it's 90º+ every day and evenings only cool down to 75ºF or so, it's hard for them to cool down at all. Not to mention all the people at the resort(s) right now. It was a packed house (and the pool equally so).

I'll never go back to Boma, but Sanaa, definitely. We loved that restaurant on a previous trip.

POR was a bit tougher; longer waits and of course a million stops just at the resort alone.
So you pick a location that is far away and not centrally located and than complain about it being far... Yeah...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom