1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding Walt!!!!

Discussion in 'Walt Disney: The Man Behind the Mouse' started by FrenchBistro1, Sep 7, 2015.

1. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

That's a great picture and I've never seen it before! It's also kind of funny as a typically early 1980's kitschy image that's trying to be so reverent but just makes you giggle.

Cmdr_Crimson likes this.
  2. Big Phil

Big Phil Well-Known Member

To be honest, I know a lot of people don't like Neal Gabler's book on Walt Disney, but I thought it tapped into a lot of the insight he had. I never thought it painted him in a negative light. It painted him as a workaholic, a hard working guy, a perfectionist. I mean, he created Disneyland, you had to have those attributes.

Anyway, Walt himself said that his vision for Disneyland came from sitting on a bench in the park where his daughters would play and dreaming it up. They have that actual bench in Disneyland on display. He said he would sit there while they were on the playground and think of a way that both children AND parents would enjoy themselves.

Prior to that he was a cartoonist, you have to have an imagination for that. He had seen Snow White as a play prior to that. Eventually he started making movies. With the movies came the park, which were inspired by many of his films. Basically he never lost his childlike imagination.

popcenturylover, 216bruce and TP2000 like this.
  3. POLY LOVER

POLY LOVER Well-Known Member

I think this is why the CEO's that have followed have a difficult time maintaining the dream. They were not the creators and don't have the passion he had.

4. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

By job description CEO's aren't creative. CEO's run businesses for money, that's it. No creative anything. No non founding CEO has ever done much of anything other then max profits. Always followed later on by the downsizing of the business. It's a business cycle, founder does his thing, leaves business day to day and the business goes for a while making great money and then the downward spiral begins slowly but surely. In Disney's case it's entertainment so you can make a rebound and that's what happen at Disney. Early 80's Disney was going to break into parts and that would have been the end most likely. That would be post founder dying phase running it's course. The only reason Disney still exists is a money man CEO showed up. He didn't have a vision just a vision on how to get money flowing again. That's what a CEO should do.

5. POLY LOVER

POLY LOVER Well-Known Member

the Disney company is a unique business that requires a certain special set of skills. I agree with all of the above but I think we need a CEO with some small touch of imagination and vision, If you are just driven by the EPS then we are in for a bumpy road at some point. You have to understand and have passion for the business you run. Its easy to outsource, make licensing deals and cut jos to make the bottom line look good. No skill there you just need some lawyers to milk the existing product and your name.

I think Eisner had some of that. I think Eisner had some appreciation for the companys history and Walts dream. Iger just doesn't come off the same way? He may have it but just doesn't show it like Eisner did.,

6. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Premium Member

Trying to read this page is crazy. Half the conversation has been deleted.

popcenturylover likes this.
  7. ChesterKiwi

ChesterKiwi Well-Known Member

It looks like half of it was just exclamation points anyway.

8. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Half of your Disney Vacation is mine! Premium Member

God.

9. 216bruce

216bruce Well-Known Member

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popcenturylover and ChesterKiwi like this.
  10. ChesterKiwi

:hilarious:

216bruce likes this.
  11. danyoung56

danyoung56 Well-Known Member

Why is monorail74 quoted a lot but none of his posts appear?

12. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

The user has deleted their posts.

ChesterKiwi and RandomPrincess like this.
  13. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Premium Member

ChesterKiwi likes this.
  14. ChesterKiwi

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it, I swear.

216bruce and RandomPrincess like this.