Unbuilt Mary Poppins Attraction for Disneyland

Stevek

Figments Friend

Part of the problem today is even when you still have some excellent talent wandering the halls of Imagineering, they are only allowed to do so much.
Some truly cool concepts are likely brought to the table during any development session but they don't get developed due to the current Company mandates that need to be satisfied or for budgetary concerns.
It also has to be said that inter-Company politics also influence decisions.

I don't place all the blame on the Imagineers for the influx in IP related material.
They are only doing what they are being told is 'needed' for the Parks and what is 'wanted' by the Company.
I blame the uppers in Burbank and Marketing for pushing the mandate to develop current 'hot IP' properties into Attractions.
Now it seems a proposed concept that could be really neat has a snowball's chance in Hades of even being looked at if some current IP brand is not already attached to it.

It's disheartening to see, as many of best Attractions ever designed were all 'original' non-IP based entities in my opinion.
Now the game has changed and nobody wants to take a chance or invest in something unproven in the field.
It was not that long ago that Disney relished such a challange and took it on head first.
Today, it's a different story.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom