UK people, mobile phone help

Laurajane

I'm off to disney world at Christmas with my boyfriend to join his family as they fly out a week before us. We need to figure out a cheap way of contacting each other when in disney and out in orlando. Do people add international packages to their existing uk phones? Or is there a better and cheaper way? All help welcome!

Longers

We used our ipad or iPod and used free wi fi to message each other which worked. Although in the main we were messaging each morning so we planned our days mainly before we left our hotel rather than throughout the day

Upvote 0

pauluk

In the past we have gone to Walmarts and bought the cheapest phones (pay-as-u-go) we can find and use them, this also allowse us to contact are american friends who live in the area.

Upvote 0

norhel

If you are planning to use wifi, can using Skype be an option? I did that at WDW on my last trip for sending text back home to Norway, and it was a lot cheaper that the international roaming prices. Skype also has cheap calling rates.

Upvote 0

Gurt

Take advantage of the free wifi and speak to your network before you go and find out fully about their charges, I was already at the airport when I thought it would be a good idea to ring and tell them I would be abroad so not to block my phone, the guy started on about international phone calls which I heard as blah blah blah, I had no intention of using my phone to ring or text anyone, big mistake we used Garden Grocer to have shopping delivered to our hotel even though you do the order online you they still ring you to confirm the delivery and if you have ordered beers to confirm you are over 21, I listened to 2 voicemails (from GG) and rang them twice to confirm delivery (5 min tops) and my charge for this when I got my bill was just over £30 on top of my normal contract, I had no idea it would be that much.

Upvote 0

melmel89

We usually end up meeting up with at least one relative whilst we are at WDW, so i know only too well how costly it can get. we have found some of the cheapest/easiest ways to be : Downloading Skype to tablet, laptop or smart phones, or any free msg Apps for smart phones. cheap PAYG SIMs from Walmart are also a good option. whatever you do remember to turn off data roaming on your phone! I think though i'm not sure if you txt anyone whilst you are over there and its a British phone even if they are in the states too you get charged more, i'm pretty sure that's how I ended up with a hefty phone bill one year.

Upvote 0

zappomatic

Get yourself a Three pay as you go SIM and then all your calls and data etc will come out of your UK allowance, or be charged as if you are in the UK. Do note this does mean that if you call a US number while there you will be charged as if calling from the UK! You can get an all-in-one SIM that gives you unlimited data plus 300 minutes and 3000 texts for £15, or 3000 texts, 100 minutes and 500 MB data for £10.

Upvote 0

Laurajane

Original Poster
So even though I'm on us signal if I'm texting a uk number it doesn't charge me a silly amount? I'm so out of date with roaming charges :)

Upvote 0

zappomatic

Yes, on Three if you text or call a UK number (or receive a call from a UK number) or use data all charges/allowance use will be as if you were in the UK. Most other networks don't do this though!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom