Uber

jloucks

I just want to add something here. Not sure how it's gonna come off, but it's the truth.

Hearing you say this makes me WAY less interested in using Uber or Lyft. The biggest draw for me using Uber is no tip. It takes away all awkwardness from the proceedings. If you all start angling for tips there will be far less Uber users out there.

Our capitalistic society is to blame for this whole 'tipping' phenomena. It is not like this in most other places on the planet. Tipping is a way to pay people less and get away with it by putting the burden directly on the customer. That is pretty jacked up when you really think about it.

What Uber does to its drivers is to pay them so little, they get desperate for tips. Drivers are ignorant on who to blame for their destitution so they lash out at the non-tippers. They really just need to quit! That's what I did. Quit or accept the pittance payment. ...but don't lash out at the customers who are specifically told to not tip!

POLY LOVER

UBER appeals to those that hate the formal cab companys but the idea of some man or women that I don't know in a strange city picking me up in an unmarked vehicle just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy, then hounding me for a tip at the end of the ride. Not knocking UBER but not my cup of tea.

Minnie1986

Let's say you want to take Uber from the Grand Floridian to Universal. The Grand Floridian is one of the hotels farthest away from Universal, so let's use that as an example.

Google says the distance is 14.5 miles and the travel time is 17 minutes. Using the formula above, that means the approximate Uber one-way fare is $15.09.
Making Mears cheaper, bc round trip with Uber would be just about $30, as where Mears is $20.

Minnie1986

UBER appeals to those that hate the formal cab companys but the idea of some man or women that I don't know in a strange city picking me up in an unmarked vehicle just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy, then hounding me for a tip at the end of the ride. Not knocking UBER but not my cup of tea.
Maybe not everywhere, but where I am, and a few other cities I've been to, you can't tip Uber drivers, the cars are not unmarked and you are given the name, license plate number, make/model and a photo of your driver. You can also send that info to anyone in your contacts that has the Uber app, so that if something goes wrong, they know who your driver was.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No, not in the least. Lazy people, unmarked vehicles, tip hounding, and strange cities all sound very complimentary....

James J

In the Parks
No
Maybe not everywhere, but where I am, and a few other cities I've been to, you can't tip Uber drivers, the cars are not unmarked and you are given the name, license plate number, make/model and a photo of your driver. You can also send that info to anyone in your contacts that has the Uber app, so that if something goes wrong, they know who your driver was.

This was my experience when I used Uber for the first time at the weekend. The car had an Uber logo stuck on the side of it, and the details of the driver etc were all displayed on the App. I found it really good and it worked out way cheaper than a taxi.

jloucks

It is with what cab companies charge that I have a problem. ...although they are getting better. They see the writing on the wall if they don't stop with the unreasonable pricing models.

Exciting and/or scary incoming opinion.... Very soon, we will be in an age where information of any type can be shared with anybody at anytime. We are almost there now actually. We still have pesky middle men in the way skimming profits (Uber) but soon that will no longer be the case. When AI happens (the singularity) all these middle men will go poof and we will all communicate directly with each other about anything and everything. So long as we don't destroy ourselves, it will be awesome. Add to that at home fabrication and you will have the biggest redistribution of wealth the world has ever seen. ...with the exception of food and water. That is where future wealth will lie. To a lesser extent, fossil fuels.

Minnie1986

Are you traveling alone? Or with other guests? I know the shuttles are a shared service. Also, don't they charge per person?
Yes, they charge per person. Nonetheless, it os still $20 round trip from our resort to Univwr
Are you traveling alone? Or with other guests? I know the shuttles are a shared service. Also, don't they charge per person?
Ahhh, I get your point. Since, no, I won't be going alone, Uber may be cheaper round trip. My only concern is if we hit traffic, the cost of Uber would increase. Does that make sense?

Minnie1986

I am a current part-time Uber driver in Orlando.

The Uber app will not allow you to request an Uber on MCO property. What people do to get picked up at the airport is to take a free shuttle to one of the nearby hotels. Once they are at the hotel they will request an Uber. This is perfectly OK. Some people will drop the pin somewhere outside of MCO property and then call the driver and explain that they want to be picked up at the airport. I personally won't pick up someone at the airport if they do this, but others will. I have no problem picking up someone at one of the nearby hotels.

Uber can pick up and drop off anywhere on Disney property. At first, some of the parking booth attendants would ask Uber drivers to pay, but they have stopped that (or at least it happens less frequently). I have an annual pass so I just show that if I need to get through. I have never had any issues. At the MK, pickup and drop-off is easy because there is dedicated 15 minute parking. At the other parks it is a little more tricky, so you need to call your driver to confirm the pickup location.

Taxi rates are $2.40 a mile. Uber's non-surge rates are 75 cents a mile plus 13 cents a minute. An Uber vehicle is almost always cleaner and you will never get taken a longer route than necessary. The downside is that you might have to wait a few minutes for an Uber to show up, whereas taxis are usually waiting for you everywhere on Disney property.

You would think more people would use Uber, but they don't. It's so much easier than taking the buses, and it's not expensive. For example, if you wanted to go from the MK to the Animal Kingdom Lodge you would pay about $20 in a taxi. That same ride would cost about $8 in an Uber, if there was no surge. Even if there was a surge, it has to get to 3.2 in order to get to the same rate as a taxi.

If you do take an Uber, remember that the tip is NOT included. It's not the driver's fault that Uber has not included a tip button. If you can tip the bellman to put a suitcase in your trunk, it is OK to tip the driver who takes your suitcase out of the trunk and drove you safely to your destination. I realize that some readers might find this controversial, but if you can tip a taxi driver why won't you tip an Uber driver? Again, the service is usually superior and the vehicle is much nicer and cleaner. If more people would tip, there would be more drivers, and riders would not have to wait as long when they request a ride.

Also, any rating less than 5 stars means you want your driver fired. No, it doesn't make any sense, but Uber will deactivate drivers with less than a 4.6 rating. So, anything less than 5 stars is unacceptable, according to Uber.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Absolutely love Uber!

Minnie1986

People using Uber to go from one hotel to the other is the vast majority of what I do when I Uber on Disney property. The second most common trip is to Walmart, or a similar store. The third most common run is to Universal. Going to the airport is rare because of DME.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the usual Uber fare from Disney to Universal?

Minnie1986

This was my experience when I used Uber for the first time at the weekend. The car had an Uber logo stuck on the side of it, and the details of the driver etc were all displayed on the App. I found it really good and it worked out way cheaper than a taxi.
Exactly. One of the many reasons that I have stopped taking taxis and only use Uber.

photomatt

No driver, taxi or Uber, should ever ask for a tip. What I said is that you can tip if you think the service warrants it.

photomatt

Our capitalistic society is to blame for this whole 'tipping' phenomena. It is not like this in most other places on the planet. Tipping is a way to pay people less and get away with it by putting the burden directly on the customer. That is pretty jacked up when you really think about it.

What Uber does to its drivers is to pay them so little, they get desperate for tips. Drivers are ignorant on who to blame for their destitution so they lash out at the non-tippers. They really just need to quit! That's what I did. Quit or accept the pittance payment. ...but don't lash out at the customers who are specifically told to not tip!

Any driver that lashes out at a rider for not tipping should be deactivated. Asking for a tip is never acceptable.

photomatt

You CAN tip Uber and Lyft drivers. You don't have to, but you can. There is no tip included in the fare. That does not mean you have to tip, but please don't think there is some sort of tip included. That is absolutely not the case.

Never even consider tipping if the service does not warrant it. But, if you think the driver deserves a tip, then you can if you want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom