Uber pick-up from resort

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Cabs is a transportation company, not a technology company who made an app. That is the gray area, or are those just words?
I have provided many facts about the differences of Uber, which is the proof. You want to read about this case by case, go ahead, and you might discover your own ignorance.

Using your methodology we can also quite simply "prove" that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are all "real".

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Simple google search, first hit, read it:
https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=37714

Looks like there is a Santa Claus after all.

I've already read that. Relevant section:

"Case 3: The driver is carrying an Uber passenger.
If an accident occurs while the driver is carrying a passenger, the passenger and driver are covered under Uber’s one million dollar liability coverage policy. Uber also provides one million dollars of uninsured/underinsured insurance coverage for accidents with uninsured or underinsured drivers."
<snip>
"Uber Crashes: Getting Compensation Isn’t Easy
This plan is supposed to offer coverage for all accidents involving an Uber driver; however, getting coverage isn’t easy. Uber and its insurance company are businesses and they don’t want to pay a penny more than they have to. The company will do everything it can to fight your claim."

We'll touch on that in a bit, here's another clip from another important article.

"The policy appears to follow the typical business auto policies that are used by licensed and admitted carriers in Florida to provide coverage for commercial autos," Stevens wrote. "The policy provides first-dollar coverage while the auto is being driven by the Uber driver and when the auto is providing the livery services as recorded through the Uber application."

Stevens elaborated on the email this week, saying Uber is permitted to do legally binding business in the state and that the policy covers passengers.

"As far as we're concerned … it meets the requirements of the insurance code," Stevens said.

- http://www.tampabay.com/news/transp...r-meets-florida-insurance-requirement/2202383

As for that Taxi company liability you're so fond of claiming is so much better, well, I hope you're not injured too badly if you're in an accident in a cab.

"3. The owner who is a natural person and loans a motor vehicle to any permissive user shall be liable for the operation of the vehicle or the acts of the operator in connection therewith only up to $100,000 per person and up to $300,000 per incident for bodily injury and up to $50,000 for property damage. If the permissive user of the motor vehicle is uninsured or has any insurance with limits less than $500,000 combined property damage and bodily injury liability, the owner shall be liable for up to an additional $500,000 in economic damages only arising out of the use of the motor vehicle. The additional specified liability of the owner for economic damages shall be reduced by amounts actually recovered from the permissive user and from any insurance or self-insurance covering the permissive user. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to affect the liability of the owner for his or her own negligence."
<snip>
The jury returned a verdict of $5 million in compensatory damages against the owners. However, because of section 324.021(9)(b)3, their vicarious liability was capped at $100,000.

https://www.floridainjuryattorneyblawg.com/2011/08/floridas-dangerous-instrumenta-1.html

"You might be surprised to learn that there is no legal limit on how much a taxi driver can work in any given day or week. Shifts of 12 to 18 hours in a day are shockingly common, and some anonymous drivers claim to work for 24 hours straight in a single shift. Not shockingly at all, this dangerous trend has lead to more accidents directly caused by overtired and overworked taxi drivers."
<snip>
"However in Florida there are certain monetary limits on how much in certain types of damages that can be paid . For example, there is a $500,000 limit on economic damages, such as:

• Medical bills for the treatment of your injuries
  • Rehabilitation costs
  • Repair costs for your vehicle and personal items damaged in the accident
There is also a $100,000 cap on non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of employment due to your injury. It is very important to know that there are no limits on the damages that can be paid by for the driver and employer—this cannot be emphasized enough."

http://www.ligorilaw.com/car-accident/in-a-car-accident-caused-by-an-overworked-taxi-driver

Wait, wait, "Clooney v. Geeting"?! CAPS ON NON-ECONOMIC DAMAGES?! WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE?! I thought liability meant you could just ask the owner for money?! What do you mean they're businesses and they'll do everything they can to fight your claim, only UBER does that!

n-MIC-628x314.jpg

Last edited:

NelsonRD

I've already read that. Relevant section:

"Case 3: The driver is carrying an Uber passenger.
If an accident occurs while the driver is carrying a passenger, the passenger and driver are covered under Uber’s one million dollar liability coverage policy. Uber also provides one million dollars of uninsured/underinsured insurance coverage for accidents with uninsured or underinsured drivers."
<snip>
"Uber Crashes: Getting Compensation Isn’t Easy
This plan is supposed to offer coverage for all accidents involving an Uber driver; however, getting coverage isn’t easy. Uber and its insurance company are businesses and they don’t want to pay a penny more than they have to. The company will do everything it can to fight your claim."

We'll touch on that in a bit, here's another clip from another important article.

"The policy appears to follow the typical business auto policies that are used by licensed and admitted carriers in Florida to provide coverage for commercial autos," Stevens wrote. "The policy provides first-dollar coverage while the auto is being driven by the Uber driver and when the auto is providing the livery services as recorded through the Uber application."

Stevens elaborated on the email this week, saying Uber is permitted to do legally binding business in the state and that the policy covers passengers.

"As far as we're concerned … it meets the requirements of the insurance code," Stevens said.

- http://www.tampabay.com/news/transp...r-meets-florida-insurance-requirement/2202383

As for that Taxi company liability you're so fond of claiming is so much better, well, I hope you're not injured too badly if you're in an accident in a cab.

"3. The owner who is a natural person and loans a motor vehicle to any permissive user shall be liable for the operation of the vehicle or the acts of the operator in connection therewith only up to $100,000 per person and up to $300,000 per incident for bodily injury and up to $50,000 for property damage. If the permissive user of the motor vehicle is uninsured or has any insurance with limits less than $500,000 combined property damage and bodily injury liability, the owner shall be liable for up to an additional $500,000 in economic damages only arising out of the use of the motor vehicle. The additional specified liability of the owner for economic damages shall be reduced by amounts actually recovered from the permissive user and from any insurance or self-insurance covering the permissive user. Nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to affect the liability of the owner for his or her own negligence."
<snip>
The jury returned a verdict of $5 million in compensatory damages against the owners. However, because of section 324.021(9)(b)3, their vicarious liability was capped at $100,000.

https://www.floridainjuryattorneyblawg.com/2011/08/floridas-dangerous-instrumenta-1.html

"You might be surprised to learn that there is no legal limit on how much a taxi driver can work in any given day or week. Shifts of 12 to 18 hours in a day are shockingly common, and some anonymous drivers claim to work for 24 hours straight in a single shift. Not shockingly at all, this dangerous trend has lead to more accidents directly caused by overtired and overworked taxi drivers."
<snip>
"However in Florida there are certain monetary limits on how much in certain types of damages that can be paid . For example, there is a $500,000 limit on economic damages, such as:

• Medical bills for the treatment of your injuries
  • Rehabilitation costs
  • Repair costs for your vehicle and personal items damaged in the accident
There is also a $100,000 cap on non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of employment due to your injury. It is very important to know that there are no limits on the damages that can be paid by for the driver and employer—this cannot be emphasized enough."

http://www.ligorilaw.com/car-accident/in-a-car-accident-caused-by-an-overworked-taxi-driver

Wait, wait, "Clooney v. Geeting"?! CAPS ON NON-ECONOMIC DAMAGES?! WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE?! I thought liability meant you could just ask the owner for money?! What do you mean they're businesses and they'll do everything they can to fight your claim, only UBER does that!

So, for pages, you said I was wrong, and didn't prove anything, but now your changing your direction and basically posting that I am right, but it's okay, because other forms of transportation try to limit liability too, not just Uber, so they are off the hook. Let's just hope you never need to actually find out what would happen if something goes bad with Uber.

21stamps

YMMV with Uber. I tried using them twice on my most recent trip. On one occasion I asked them to pick me up at my resort (I was at the Treehouse Villas) and they told me I had to walk to the main lobby rather than pick me up near my villa. On the same trip I tried to get Ubers for my 8-person group and they refused to send multiple cars; the resort arranged a Mears shuttle, which took a half hour to arrive and didn't let everyone get on board.
For future reference- just have 2 different people order one with a party of 8. If you're in a popular area- i.e Disney World. Several cars will be close by.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I already proved it, but your too confrontational to listen. Uber drivers are not employees of Uber. Second, Uber is not a transportation company, they are a technology company. Third, I am describing driver negligence, that results in injury, not a fender bender accident. In these cases, Uber is absolved of any liability, if the driver is found guilty of negligence.

1 - No you haven't
2 - technology company or not has nothing to do with any of this
3 - you've read their policy? Or is this claim based on your news stories? The fact they are 1099s doesn't not change you are doing business with uber. Which is why uber will always be named in these cases about a driver doing something illegal like assaults etc. like any other case... the lawyer will go after the biggest target... and insurance will always try to avoid paying. This is the same is an uber or a taxi. No insurance just rolls over... even when they are liable.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So, for pages, you said I was wrong, and didn't prove anything, but now your changing your direction and basically posting that I am right, but it's okay, because other forms of transportation try to limit liability too, not just Uber, so they are off the hook. Let's just hope you never need to actually find out what would happen if something goes bad with Uber.

You still haven't proven anything, and I still haven't said you were right because you aren't. Uber can still be litigated against even though they provide more than adequate insurance to drivers and passengers. Being a technology company does not absolve them from liability. You can believe that you are right though if it makes you feel better about yourself.

JndmnKR.png

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Interesting discussion going on here. I'm sure that like most professions, the majority of Uber drivers are decent, hard-working people, providing income for themselves and/or their families.

White at WDW, I only use the Disney transportation. I've chosen taxis for transport to/from the airport to the hotel (if I stay at the Swan). The taxi stand at the airport is convenient and there are plenty of cabs lined up (note: I don't travel during any busy, holiday periods though).

At present, I've held off using Uber at all, because of some issues (last year) in the state where I live. Granted, there are some bad apples in any profession, but there were news reports about a few assaults on female passengers. (Uber immediately fired those people, and those few drivers were arrested and convicted.) Guess it's still a point of hesitation on my part, however, to use Uber. I know that the state was looking into some additional regulations for companies like Uber and Lyft, but I don't know the current status of that.

Having shared my thoughts above, in fairness, I also want to mention that a number of my colleagues at work have successfully used Uber in the city, and have recommended it.

Otterhead

For future reference- just have 2 different people order one with a party of 8. If you're in a popular area- i.e Disney World. Several cars will be close by.
We tried that first. The app said there weren't enough cars. We were at the Grand Floridian (at V&As) and talked to our server, and they said "oh, we'll take care of that, forget Uber", and called down to the front. When we went down, they had forgotten to order us any transportation, and called Mears to request a "van for 8 people". A van arrived 30 minutes later and told us only 5 people could get in; the other three had to get a bus. It was all pretty ridiculous.

flynnibus

Premium Member
At present, I've held off using Uber at all, because of some issues (last year) in the state where I live. Granted, there are some bad apples in any profession, but there were news reports about a few assaults on female passengers. (Uber immediately fired those people, and those few drivers were arrested and convicted.) Guess it's still a point of hesitation on my part, however, to use Uber. I know that the state was looking into some additional regulations for companies like Uber and Lyft, but I don't know the current status of that.

The demographics is something that varies by location and is something that ultimately will shift over time. The initial gold rush is already over for most. The question is if long term second job professionals (who do it for some extra cash) will keep doing it... or if it will just settle to be more and more multijob immigrants.

I've found most drivers very eager to please and the cars in nice condition. It does feel like an underground taxi the first few times you do it... but you get used to it. I still just use it strategically depending on where and what I am doing. I don't think I'd send my child unattended... where I might with a taxi etc.

NelsonRD

1 - No you haven't
2 - technology company or not has nothing to do with any of this
3 - you've read their policy? Or is this claim based on your news stories? The fact they are 1099s doesn't not change you are doing business with uber. Which is why uber will always be named in these cases about a driver doing something illegal like assaults etc. like any other case... the lawyer will go after the biggest target... and insurance will always try to avoid paying. This is the same is an uber or a taxi. No insurance just rolls over... even when they are liable.

Sure, you can sue Uber. You can claim they are liable. Your deep pocket theory and all of that.
My point is good luck in actually successfully doing so.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sure, you can sue Uber. You can claim they are liable. Your deep pocket theory and all of that.
My point is good luck in actually successfully doing so.

Concerns that applies to every incident with insurance claims and businesses. Welcome to adulthood.

Your citations were very convincing....

NelsonRD

Concerns that applies to every incident with insurance claims and businesses. Welcome to adulthood.

Your citations were very convincing....

Except that Uber has found a business model that allows them to wiggle out of it even more.
Im not posting examples when you can simple google it.

NelsonRD

You still haven't proven anything, and I still haven't said you were right because you aren't. Uber can still be litigated against even though they provide more than adequate insurance to drivers and passengers. Being a technology company does not absolve them from liability. You can believe that you are right though if it makes you feel better about yourself.

The only reason Uber settled in that case was to save face after the story hit the national news, to keep people like you fooled into thinking what a great responsible company they are. If the media did not get involved, they would have never settled this case. Getting injured, and successfully settling with Uber made the national news in this case, because it rarely ever happens.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The only reason Uber settled in that case was to save face after the story hit the national news, to keep people like you fooled into thinking what a great responsible company they are. If the media did not get involved, they would have never settled this case. Getting injured, and successfully settling with Uber made the national news in this case, because it rarely ever happens.

Uh huh.

Except that Uber has found a business model that allows them to wiggle out of it even more.
Im not posting examples when you can simple google it.

3uKwsf4.jpg

NelsonRD

I didn’t try anything. I am not saying I agree with Uber or not, I am not claiming to be a lawyer, or any claim anything to be absolute. I am just simply explaining some of the techniques that Uber has been able to use in the past, to successfully get out of liability cases. You cannot disagree with those facts. Maybe Uber users care, maybe not, because its too small of a percentage to happen to worry about. However, that small chance is enough to discourage me, good that it doesn’t for you.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I didn’t try anything. I am not saying I agree with Uber or not, I am not claiming to be a lawyer, or any claim anything to be absolute. I am just simply explaining some of the techniques that Uber has been able to use in the past, to successfully get out of liability cases. You cannot disagree with those facts. Maybe Uber users care, maybe not, because its too small of a percentage to happen to worry about. However, that small chance is enough to discourage me, good that it doesn’t for you.

UzagSJ3.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom