Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
It would be very unusual for guests to ride the lift portion... as that would mean it would have to have the safety features and egress access. Normally the lift is just for the rafts and you enter the raft at the top of the ride.

Unusual, yes, but not unprecedented. Mammoth at Holiday World (a similar "family" style waterpark raft ride) utilizes a lift where guests ride in the raft up the lift hill. Mammoth was built by the company ProSlide and Disney has worked EXTENSIVELY with ProSlide in the past (in fact, all the slides at Blizzard Beach are apparently built by ProSlide [http://www.proslide.com/about-us/innovation-timeline/]. As such, it would make sense that this is a ProSlide attraction and thus guests riding in rafts up the lift would be proven already by the manufacturer.

Ground level loading also allows the ride to be ADA compliant (additionally, when you count the amount of time your on the lift in the length of the ride time, it makes a 30 second ride into a multi-minute ride which allows Disney to advertise the ride as being one of their longest ride duration water rides).

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
New name is a Miss Take. The pun was cute. Sure the copyright issue probably played a role in it's rename but the new attraction name is meh. They would have been better off scrapping the "Miss" pun concept and giving it a completely new name. Actually surprised it's not IP-ready Moana-centric. Concept art is clearly Polynesian Tiki inspired.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Unusual, yes, but not unprecedented. Mammoth at Holiday World (a similar "family" style waterpark raft ride) utilizes a lift where guests ride in the raft up the lift hill. Mammoth was built by the company ProSlide and Disney has worked EXTENSIVELY with ProSlide in the past (in fact, all the slides at Blizzard Beach are apparently built by ProSlide [http://www.proslide.com/about-us/innovation-timeline/]. As such, it would make sense that this is a ProSlide attraction and thus guests riding in rafts up the lift would be proven already by the manufacturer.

Very cool. I did not know they had integrated LIM technology into these rides now. I've yet to see any of these hybrid installations. They make Disney's latest attraction look lame.

Incomudro

And I don't know about you but my idea of fun is not to be arched at an angle for that length of time. Either way the lift is not part of the ride and won't be enjoyable to most. The whole point of being at a water park is being in the water not on a wide rubber track baking in the sun. Why I think they are not including something in the released artwork for the lift. Like the fact the lift is actually a water coaster type where the water is propelling you up the hill.

While I agree in part that it's a bit of a misnomer (Miss Nomer?) to include the lift time as part of the ride time - is not the lift portion of a roller coaster part of the ride time?
Isn't it also part of the build up?
As for the baking in the sun part, I'd imagine that there will be various parts of the lift where riders will me misted and/or sprayed with water.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The interesting thing to me about these 'coaster' water slides is how little water there actually is on the whole thing. You see the spray nozzles above to wet the slide.. but your classic big splashes on the sides, etc seem to be taken away.

MarkTwain

It would be very unusual for guests to ride the lift portion... as that would mean it would have to have the safety features and egress access. Normally the lift is just for the rafts and you enter the raft at the top of the ride.

I'm guessing it's also cheaper/easier than building and theming a giant staircase to get guests to the top of the ride... also more ADA-accessible, and just easier on older or less mobile guests.

Hopefully they don't scrimp on theming the lift hill though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm guessing it's also cheaper/easier than building and theming a giant staircase to get guests to the top of the ride... also more ADA-accessible, and just easier on older or less mobile guests.

Hopefully they don't scrimp on theming the lift hill though.
If it is cheaper, great, stick it on all the attractions requiring a raft. Hauling a raft up half a dozen or more flights of stairs with 2-3 kids in tow seriously bites.

Jon81uk

I've just remembered the other ride I was thinking of where you ride in the dingy to the top. Its Storm Surge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Surge_(ride), formerly at Cypress Gardens (now Legoland FL) and was moved to Thorpe Park in England. Its a theme park ride rather than a water park ride, but the mechanics are quite similar, although with a lot less theming.
5f1df24022dee42a3c713e9949fa37e5.jpg

ryguy

Count me in for one who likes riding up the hill. A little surprised Typhoon Lagoon is getting the new ride, rather than BB. TL received crush n gusher so I thought they would add something to BB next. Land must have been cheaper to develop at TL I suppose. Wonder if they have plans to redevelop the old shark reef? That is a pretty big chunk of land they could add a nice addition too.

Incomudro

Count me in for one who likes riding up the hill. A little surprised Typhoon Lagoon is getting the new ride, rather than BB. TL received crush n gusher so I thought they would add something to BB next. Land must have been cheaper to develop at TL I suppose. Wonder if they have plans to redevelop the old shark reef? That is a pretty big chunk of land they could add a nice addition too.

Slide-wise, BB has better slides than TL.
On some of TL's slides, you're practically dragging on the bottom of the slide - and I'm a less than 170lb. guy.
So, while I prefer TL to BB for the theming and the wave pool - I believe that it benefits more from the addition of a new slide or two than would BB.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
TL received crush n gusher so I thought they would add something to BB next. Land must have been cheaper to develop at TL I suppose.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are there available expansion pads for expanding Blizzard Beach?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are there available expansion pads for expanding Blizzard Beach?

There is a lot of open land around the park but it is all considered "unsuitsable for construction" which doesn't mean they can't use it, but it will be harder to use the suitable land. There was a big chunk of suitable land next to it, but the new storm water retention pond too that land.

upload_2017-1-12_13-56-44.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom