Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So apparently on Twitter it's being said that the Shark Reef is being closed to make way for the new ride. Is there any truth to this? I hope not, love the Shark Reef. And from the map on the first page it looks like the new slide won't run into that area?
I don't know officially, but I would say no. The Shark reef is a fair distance from the proposed site for Miss Fortune Falls.

upload_2016-6-8_9-6-47.jpg

Jon81uk

So apparently on Twitter it's being said that the Shark Reef is being closed to make way for the new ride. Is there any truth to this? I hope not, love the Shark Reef. And from the map on the first page it looks like the new slide won't run into that area?

I think if the rumours of Shark Reef closing are true, that Disney are closing it because it is expensive to operate, it needs several Cast, they need to maintain a salt-water tank and look after the fish.
So Miss Fortune Falls would replace Shark Reef in the park line-up of attractions, but not actually sit on the same piece of land.
Shark Reef will be missed, but I can see why it is closing.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think if the rumours of Shark Reef closing are true, that Disney are closing it because it is expensive to operate, it needs several Cast, they need to maintain a salt-water tank and look after the fish.
So Miss Fortune Falls would replace Shark Reef in the park line-up of attractions, but not actually sit on the same piece of land.
Shark Reef will be missed, but I can see why it is closing.
There have been rumors of its closing for years. I for one hope it never happens as it is the one uniquely Disney water park attraction that keeps me coming to TL.

Every water park on the planet has slides. Very few have an attraction like the shark reef.

Jon81uk

Very few have an attraction like the shark reef.

Other than Discovery Cove, is there anywhere else that lets you swim in a pool with fish as part of general admission? Of course there are plenty of opportunities to do it in the sea, but at a water park or similar? A quick google only seems to bring up one place in Singapore.

matt9112

I think the only part of any attraction in Volcano bay that goes into the volcano is the lazy river (which looks extremely long). unless there is something else not shown in the picture

llthink of the lazy river as a mode of transport more than a pure ride. so you can use it to get from ride to ride. also speed slide is in mountain as well as portions of other enclosed slides (can see from I4) and the unannounced secret ride is also in the vocano.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Other than Discovery Cove, is there anywhere else that lets you swim in a pool with fish as part of general admission? Of course there are plenty of opportunities to do it in the sea, but at a water park or similar? A quick google only seems to bring up one place in Singapore.
If there is another in the US outside of Discovery, I have never heard of it.

Like you said, the thing is expensive to maintain and operate. Most water parks simply can't afford something like this.

COProgressFan

There have been rumors of its closing for years. I for one hope it never happens as it is the one uniquely Disney water park attraction that keeps me coming to TL.

Every water park on the planet has slides. Very few have an attraction like the shark reef.

Exactly. The new family raft ride sounds great. I just would hate to see such a unique attraction like the shark reef disappear.

I hope its not true, but if the shark reef goes, it seems to go along with Disney's mission to remove everything unique and different about their parks (without realizing that the uniqueness is what has made Disney so successful all these years).

Incomudro

Even if you weren't allowed to go in (I've only done it once, and don't really car to do it again) Shark Reef is a really cool part of the overall theme of Typhoon Lagoon.
I love that it's there.

doctornick

There was talk about an additional attraction for Blizzard Beach as well being added in the near future. Can anyone confirm if that is true or give any details?

CaptainAmerica

Can someone help me understand the business strategy behind this decision? I get that it's meant to draw people to Typhoon Lagoon, but it's not going to get many people to visit Walt Disney World who wouldn't otherwise. The water parks are nice diversions as add-ons to the multi-day theme park ticket, but I feel like water park attendance is much more likely to be cannibalistic to theme park attendance rather than incremental. In other words, someone might replace a theme park day with a water park day to see the new attraction, but they're not going to extend their trip or plan a trip they wouldn't have otherwise planned.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to draw people out of the parks to ease congestion at the MK and DHS specifically. It feels like a pure guest satisfaction play with very little immediate financial upside. Bravo.

Jon81uk

Can someone help me understand the business strategy behind this decision? I get that it's meant to draw people to Typhoon Lagoon, but it's not going to get many people to visit Walt Disney World who wouldn't otherwise. The water parks are nice diversions as add-ons to the multi-day theme park ticket, but I feel like water park attendance is much more likely to be cannibalistic to theme park attendance rather than incremental. In other words, someone might replace a theme park day with a water park day to see the new attraction, but they're not going to extend their trip or plan a trip they wouldn't have otherwise planned.

The only thing I can think of is that they want to draw people out of the parks to ease congestion at the MK and DHS specifically. It feels like a pure guest satisfaction play with very little immediate financial upside. Bravo.

Universal are opening a new water park. Disney need to try and keep guests on-site spending money and not going over to Universal (whether its driving for the day or even worse for Disney, split stay at a Universal resort as well as a Disney resort).

CaptainAmerica

Universal are opening a new water park. Disney need to try and keep guests on-site spending money and not going over to Universal (whether its driving for the day or even worse for Disney, split stay at a Universal resort as well as a Disney resort).
Do you think it matters though? For Universal or for Disney? I just don't see water parks as a major draw. They're just a thing you do as a diversion when you visit for the actual draws (i.e. the theme parks).

ToTBellHop

Do you think it matters though? For Universal or for Disney? I just don't see water parks as a major draw. They're just a thing you do as a diversion when you visit for the actual draws (i.e. the theme parks).
Yes, and stay for 7 nights instead of 6. The bigger question I have is why are they making it so difficult for resort guests to get to the water parks? Those transfers are a pain in the butt.

Jon81uk

Exactly, but Disney want the diversions to be their diversions. This is why in the UK Disney advertise their tickets as being for all six parks. For many people who have the water parks included in their ticket (or a low priced add-on) it means they are more likely to spend more time on-property as going to other parks (Universal or SeaWorld) look more expensive per day.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

In 2015 Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach each had about 2 million guests based on the TEA/AECOM report. That's small in comparison to Disney's overall attendance, but still a significant number. The biggest problem for Disney is if people are doing split stays and decide to switch a day from Disney to Uni so they can go to Volcano Bay, now Disney not only looses the gate click at one of their water parks, but a night in a hotel and three meals.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think it matters. I agree that nobody (or very few) are making a trip primarily for the water parks. However:

• For Uni, I think the water park is about making Uni a destination for more people, rather than just a place they go for a day or two of their vacation. With Volcano Bay, it becomes more realistic to hang at Uni for a week's vacation, rather than doing Uni for half the vacation, and other things for the rest.
  • For Disney, it's keeping people from making the side trip to Uni more than a side-trip. If people spend 7 nights on site at Disney, and spend two of those days at Uni, that's one thing. But if they instead only spend 4 nights at Disney, and move to Uni for the other 3 nights, that's a big deal for Disney. If you've decided to hit a water park for one day, the difference between whether that water park is Typhoon Lagoon or Volcano Bay could be the difference in whether Uni is done by day trip, or by moving hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom