1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Jun 8, 2016.

1. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

It's more because of the marketing, and calling it a theme park (a topic that's already been beaten to death) that people had been expecting a fully themed environment. And now they are disappointed. But the thing isn't even done yet. So it's way to early to get upset IMO.

Theming aside, logic says this should be the best water park in Orlando. It's brand new, with brand new tech and a team of designers that have been pumping out great stuff this decade. Even though I'll likely only visit it once, I'm rooting for a big win here. I don't know why anyone would be excited to see it fail.

andysol likes this.
  2. 999th Happy Haunt

999th Happy Haunt Well-Known Member

So that ride at Typhoon Lagoon, huh?

Princess Leia, CJR, maroonmol and 2 others like this.
  3. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Its short, has an AA - Hey! Whole new waterpark up the road!!!

4. surfsupdon

surfsupdon Well-Known Member

But what Typhoon had, at the soul of its watery themed fun, Universal did not. Shark Reef was a unique gem.

5. JoeCamel

Universal did not? You mean wet n' wild?
    Shark Reef? You mean what is closed and sitting empty and abandoned like River Country?

cheezbat likes this.
  6. surfsupdon

surfsupdon Well-Known Member

Meaning that Volcano Bay, with all its high tech wizardry, didn't have a Shark Reef style attraction. Which was the most unique activity in any water park.

And Disney had this (for the win), and closed it.

7. JoeCamel

And it is closed leaving a 25 year old park with a princess ride as the new offering.

Not sure where you are trying to go with this but they don't have a good record with closed attractions.

surfsupdon likes this.
  8. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

And VB is a lot closer to big hotels.... enough it's not necessarily a big trip from your room. Unlike Disney...

The resort pools have plenty of evening activity after the park day. The key is keeping it low impact to use it...

TheOrangeBird01 and CJR like this.
  9. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

It was game changing for its era... but discovery cove's snorkeling made shark reef feel like a drunken red neck backyard setup.

andysol and CJR like this.
  10. The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly Well-Known Member

Thread win for me.

If UNI were to open a brand new Koaster Kingdom, 15 mega coasters, then the correct answer isn't for Disney to compete the MK with the new park by ripping out Small World and Peter Pan for a small bare steel coaster. You weaken your position by offering a weaker version of the new kid in town, while destroying what you did better.

11. Tahu

Tahu Well-Known Member

How is it a princess ride? Mary's neither a princess (despite having the points in Beastmaster required for that class, but that's important for SEA class too) nor does she make any physical appearance outside pictures and a figurehead.

egg and Princess Leia like this.
  12. JoeCamel

The princesses are in the raft - riding. It is what the ride was built for.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  13. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

Not sure what your argument is...Volcano Bay has not opened yet, and when they do open, Typhoon Lagoon will not have Sharkl Reef...nor will Volcano Bay. Yes, Shark Reef was cool, but gone...meanwhile, Volcano Bay seems to have all the latest greatest technology, plus... I guess we will know more when it actually opens, but it sure looks like it will be amazing.

Kman101 likes this.
  14. KrzyKtty

KrzyKtty Well-Known Member

Volcano bay does look cool, but when we go in June we are probably still going to stick to BB. The cost for BB will be cheaper for us with Water Fun and More. Also, I would rather not deal with the crowds that Volcano Bay will most likely be experiencing.

15. rushtest4echo

rushtest4echo Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm really growing tired of explaining to people why Universal's water park happens to have more extreme versions of water slides than Disney tends to offer (with only one or two exceptions). I don't want to see an unthemed proslide complex thrown up at any of Disney's water parks.

Can we just distill all of these arguments down to this:
    Best waterpark themed area in Orlando: the VOLCANO part of Volcano Bay
    Best waterpark theming around the entire park in Orlando: remains to be seen, but Volcano Bay loses significant points for unthemed slide towers hugging freeway ramps and office buildings
    Best collection of slides for young adults/teenagers: The Universal Offerings
    Best collection of slides for families/children: The Disney Offerings
    The "most innovative" waterpark in Orlando: Volcano Bay
    The "most innovative" waterpark in the industry: Not Volcano Bay

But I know, as people have pointed out:
    "It's Not a Water Park", Insists Universal About New Water Park

How so? I'm assuming that the combination of theming and the usage of Tapu Tapu somehow separates this water "theme" park from Disney and other's offerings or something along those lines? Completely absurd. If VB is a water "theme" park (some new hybrid between a waterpark and theme park), then that concept belongs to Disney with their parks. There's no level of difference between their offerings because Universal built more updated/adult oriented slides and has an interactive wristband. It's not some industry shaking new paradigm. Sorry, not even close.

For those extolling the interactive virtues and wonder of things like Tapu Tapu and the level of theming at VB, I'll let Robb Alvey do the talking. Not that I have an ounce of respect for the guy, but he know's the industry better than the vast majority of people and despite his idiotic rantings and his terrible attitude- he's been to more theme/water parks than anyone on here guaranteed. Keep in mind this guy lives blocks away from Volcano Bay.

All photos from ThemeParkReview/Robb Alvey
    "This is how impressive the attention to detail is @YasWaterWorld... even the slide supports are themed with rock work! Amazing!" You'll find interactive elements around @YasWaterWorld that are brought to life by tapping your RFID wristband!" "So impressed with how well themed @YasWaterWorld is! The water parks in the UAE are easily the best in the world!"

[​IMG]
    Themed supports, something Universal isn't coming close to. Disney's supports are either concealed with vegetation, built into a larger structure, or are appropriately themed. Universal's slide towers are not (aside from the Volcano, which houses less than 1/4 of the park's attractions. There's one other tower which is getting rock work and the other 4-5 towers are receiving generic "island" theming with thatched roofs, canvas covers and probably bamboo railings similar to plenty of typical waterparks.

[​IMG]
    Their "slide tower"

[​IMG]
    Their "tapu tapu" which despite not using an LCD screen accomplishes all of Tapu-Tapu's "magic". It actually has more features than Tapu to be honest. Tapu Tapu isn't revolutionary, it was brought to market 8 years ago and parks all over the globe (including plenty right here in the US) have been using some form of wristband virtual queing for almost a decade now. Eliminating standby is the only "innovation" that Universal's introducing with Tapu- and we'll see how that turns out.

[​IMG]
    Interactive elements that are triggered via Yas's queueless wristband system. They've been there for years...

It's got the latest slides out of the Proslide catalog if that's what you're referring to. Then again so did Wet n' Wild.

16. rushtest4echo

If Volcano Bay is truly a "third theme park", then Disney has 6 parks, and Sea World has 3. Congrats Universal, you've finally caught up to Sea World if you want to spin it that way.

egg, Kman101, HauntedPirate and 5 others like this.
  17. Incomudro

Incomudro Well-Known Member

Uhhm...
    Shouldn't a water park designed and built some 30 years after Typhoon Lagoon be capable of surpassing TL in some areas?
    I honestly don't get what some of the VB fans are boasting about?
    It should be better.
    Considering this though, on the surface it's not that impressive.
    More radical slides for sure - but again, it's - what was that again? Oh yeah, 30 years later.
    There are plenty of water parks with more radical slides than TL.
    As for theming, a volcano is hardly breaking new ground.

18. rushtest4echo

Again, we really need to move this over to Universal's forum. Can a mod help us out?

I've been to many a water park with a band playing and a few performers. Aquatica has animal interactions and small shows (or they did at one point). More resort water parks than not have a walk up or in pool bar. All of this stuff is present at Port Aventura's water park and has been for quite some time. Much of this is present over at Caribbean Beach Resort's main pool area.

For every example you or other people have pointed out that separates Universal from other water parks, there are tons of examples elsewhere that predate VB. Couldn't be happier to see it there- well I could if it were truly a game changing paradigm shifting park, I would obviously be even more excited to see that, but that's not what VB is by any measure. Enough already.Stop reaching. It's a water park.

What does that have to do with making VB a theme park? I would have rather spent a day at Raging Waters in San Dimas than go to DCA when it first opened, and even as recently as the placemaking efforts. If you're implying that VB has more theming than Hollywood Studios then I don't think we can have an honest discussion. You're too far gone if you think stuff like Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Fantasmic or even stuff like Indiana Jones stunt show and Toy Story Mania are inferior to a water park. And for every construction wall at DHS or every Rock n Rollercoaster (which by the way still has a great plaza/queue) there's a huge completely unthemed slide tower at VB. Give it a rest, that's just a ridiculous argument.

I've not seen Disney market them as theme parks internationally, but I'll take your word for it. So Disney has 6 theme parks at WDW then. Issue settled. Next time we discuss the "5th gate" I'll remind everyone that it's in fact going to be the 7th gate. ;)

Nothing to add to this, just figured it deserved a shout out again. :D

Nobody is asserting that Pandora is a theme park and people who say it's ground breaking don't have a leg to stand on aside from the floating mountains, which truly are spectacular. Much like Potterland, the media has taken the reigns and just ran with Pandora as a park. (I know that Universal never explicitly stated that Potterland was, but every media organization took it and ran when Universal IMPLIED as much too). Excellent marketing on their part. I've never seen so many ill-informed people discussing something compared with Universals 2 HARRY POTTER THEME PARKS. I'm assuming their relying on those same ignorant/uninformed guests to feel the same way about Volcano Bay being a theme park.

I don't think people have a lack of appreciation for Universal. Yes, plenty of Disney people trumpet the greatness of Disney and have rose colored glasses for the place. They hate any criticism of the place and fail to understand that like any other place, there is much room for improvement on the surface and underneath. Same for Universal fans though. Plenty of Disney fans will knock Universal because they perceive it as a threat to their preferred cup-o-tea. Again, same thing for Universal fans. It's common around all fandoms. I completely appreciate Universal for what it is (which is to say, I spend 90% of my time at Potterland- enter park, ride 2 or 3 coasters/thrill rides and a dark ride within the first hour, then off to Potterland till lunch and then I'm off to spend the rest of my day at Disney).

But I don't give their marketing dept brownie points for using cheap/reckless language when describing their parks any more than I would at Disney (which is to say- I don't there either). I don't get whipped up any more about a Rivers of Light plug from some show producer than I do when Universal is trying to convince me that their new water park is in fact something else. It's not. People who fail to understand this are one or more of these:

Ill-informed
    Universal fanboys
    Haven't taken a look around the industry
    Looking for anything to substantiate their notion that Disney is now 'behind Universal'

It appears that you meet all four of those criteria.

19. rushtest4echo

Ill-informed: lacking adequate or proper knowledge or information, as in one particular subject or in a variety of subjects

You're clearly ill-informed on the fact that Universal's offerings at VB are not actually groundbreaking. You've demonstrated that repeatedly.

20. andysol

andysol Well-Known Member

Please clarify where I've stated as such.
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/illinformed

Here are my three posts on the matter
    http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-29#post-7619899
    http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-29#post-7619997
    http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-30#post-7620695

Can I just say that I've had multiple discussions over the past two years on this forum- but your new "emergence" of 200+ posts in a month is wearing thin to me. I always feel like I can dialogue with people, but you are likely to be my first person on the ignore list. Close-minded know-it alls who spout opinion as fact and who lack objectivity are very off-putting.