1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Jun 8, 2016.

1. raven

raven Well-Known Member

Disney still closes their waterparks at 5pm though. And if they turn away guests to direct them to the other park it's more complicated than that. They have to take a bus back to a resort then transfer to another bus going to the other park. That alone can take a good hour. And with the short park hours and long waits for slides, that kind of eats away your day.

2. CrescentLake

CrescentLake Well-Known Member

Why don't they keep them open late? Lack of demand? Operational costs? Both?

3. raven

raven Well-Known Member

Cost. I'm sure if they stayed open later they would have plenty of guests that would stay, provided they keep all of their slides open.

4. andysol

andysol Premium Member

As I said earlier- Ive been to Typhoon Lagoon late into the night (and early morning) at two DVC parties. It was really cool. Completely different vibe- and the lighting isn't up to snuff on the walkways- particularly near the rides- but it was still a great look- in particular the Wave Pool.
    Why the don't keep it open- I don't know other than- they don't have to. Its still the #1 and 2 attended water parks in the country. They already have your money and attendance- so truly, why?

Some would argue Volcano Bay might force some nighttime offerings at WDW- although I highly doubt it. VB is much more of an impact on the Uni resort as a whole and keeping folks on-site an extra day vs taking share from WDW's water parks. And it worked on me- I'm skipping Disney in Sept and doing a Uni only trip (outside of the free DAK DVC event- which I'll see Pandora) because I am that excited about Volcano Bay. So Pandora will still get my attendance for the free event that night (and my one DVC room), but Universal Orlando as a whole will get my attendance, on-site hotel stay, and money for 4 days.

Cletus, JoeCamel, raven and 1 other person like this.
  5. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, the cost to demand ratio was off for Typhoon and Blizzard (and I expect the same to eventually be true for Volcano Bay). When said thing happens, I expect for the park to stay open just late enough for a Volcano show or two, and then cut.

PS: It is embarrassing when your (supplemental) water park is open longer than either of your (star) theme parks.

6. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

I would imagine they're turning away very few guests after 5pm that otherwise wouldn't have went earlier in the day. See my comment below about the hotel pools, which in my opinion is a good indication of guest demand (since almost exclusively hotel guests would be the ones on buses, residents and off site guests would most likely use a car).

With demand lower later in the day, it's very different from turning away guests at peak hours, which Aquatica does a good chunk of the summer and VB probably will do.

EDIT: There's a difference between guests staying and more guests paying for admission. This is a business decision to moderate cost. If demand was high enough to make more profit by keeping the water parks open later, I'm sure Disney would. Obviously though, they don't and this is a company always looking for ways to make a dollar more.

My guess would be a bit of both, but mostly demand. Just look at the hotel pools around 2/3pm vs. 9/10pm. EDIT: To add, if the water parks stayed open after dark, wouldn't that also defeat the purpose of the nighttime swimming hours at the resorts?

Also, Disney's water parks are open later in the summer months, as late as 8pm. Attendance is definitely lower in those last few hours than it is earlier in the day.

The difference between Disney's parks and VB is that Volcano Bay will have features specifically designed for after dark. That could keep people later or draw in new guests, assuming the park is not already at capacity. I do think, come January next year, Volcano Bay won't be open until 9pm, when it's dark around 5:30pm. We'll see though, I just don't see how it would be economical for Universal to have flat hours all year round. I could see it being open maybe an hour or so later than Disney's parks in the off season, but I don't envision a lot of demand at 9pm in January. Not that I care, if Universal wants to keep VB open that late, it's their money.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    CrescentLake likes this.
  7. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

I hadn't taken into consideration that this park will be open after dark. If it has an impressive lighting package, that will be awesome and unique for sure.

So holding them to their own marketing claims = Disney pixie dust snorter

8. seascape

seascape Well-Known Member

VB is designed and geared for those staying on property. The size of the park and limited capacity is to drive up interest and allow them to charge more. It is a brilliant idea. Not having separate parking also show who it is for. Their parking garages already fill up in the summer.

CJR and andysol like this.
  9. Rider

Rider Premium Member

Only in the slow season. In summer they are open until 7 or 8.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/2017-06-21/

CJR likes this.
  10. Jon81uk

Jon81uk Well-Known Member

I get your point, but I imagine one reason could be so guests at the resort hotels can use the water park in the evening, so leave the theme park at 5pm then spend 6pn to 10pm at the waterpark.

CJR likes this.
  11. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

I actually find this funny, because it's more so the exact opposite at Disney. At WDW, the water parks close so people can go spend time enjoying the night at DHS, Epcot, MK, and now DAK. The idea is you can go eat dinner and see fireworks (and a parade, when it's there). Even if they were to keep TL open after dark regularly, it wouldn't have the pull VB will at night unless some big changes were made. It would still be fun, but I think if it were nightly, it wouldn't have the special atmosphere the limited DVC parties do.

Universal, on the other hand, doesn't have the quality night time spectacular like Fantasmic, Illuminations, or Wishes, and the actual volcano might be a better show than the Cinematic Spectacular (which I can't really stand, personally). It's very interesting how different the resorts operate when they're so frequently compared to each other.

Jon81uk and andysol like this.
  12. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

The volcano night show is cute (from what I last heard). Overall, nothing to wrote home about, but there should be some cool "wow" moments.

El_Tomato, DDLand and CJR like this.
  13. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

If there's any wow moments at all, it'll automatically become the best nighttime show at Universal until something new comes along.

MisterPenguin likes this.
  14. Evan-500

Evan-500 Well-Known Member

I feel like people are calling it a show, but I got the impression that it was just like.. volcanic eruptions throughout the night, much like at TDS.

15. KrzyKtty

KrzyKtty Well-Known Member

I was really confused at first reading backwards through the comments. I was wondering what volcano eruption they could be talking about at Typhoon lagoon at night, then figured out somehow the thread switched to Universal. :D

sunsetblvd26 likes this.
  16. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

I suspect they may have a smaller show on the beach at sunset when the volcano erupts the first time and the water turns to lava. Similar to the torch lighting ceremony at Royal Pacific.

17. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

I expect it to be along the lines of what occurs at Rain Forest Cafe in Disney Springs, but a bit more grand and theatrical, maybe even having some impact on the actual water park below (with cool lighting effects).

It's not a show like what you'd see at Disney (Illuminations, Wishes, Fantasmic, Rivers of Light), but I'd consider it more entertaining than staying at Universal Studios to watch movie clips and very limited fireworks (likely due to the proximity to residential areas). Every time I've seen Cinematic Spectacular I'm thinking, "why am I not at Epcot right now?" So, although it's not a "big spectacular" along the lines of Disney's firework show, the experience, from a water park, is what will make this fun. Disney Springs is neat, but you're in a shopping complex. This will be seen from a lazy river or wave pool... or in a pileup along I-4 (intended as joke, but I could actually see it happening).

To tie this back to TL, nothing in the water park on this level currently exists. It's cool at night, but there's no theatrics really. VB will be a very different experience.

andysol, Jon81uk and UpAllNight like this.
  18. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

I don't get why they haven't done a nighttime show on the lake at Islands...or found a way of bringing the HP night show.

Even when USF is open until 9, IOA shuts at 8. I've never actually seen it in the dark, and I imagine it's spectacular.

El_Tomato, andysol and CJR like this.
  19. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Because the walk ways and viewing spaces on IOA are too tiny to handle the crowd. Also, Harry potter is just too tiny for it to be a night time show for everyone to see, it's also already packed person to person.

20. Absimilliard

Absimilliard Well-Known Member

They did, back in 2003 at least. It was a disaster as there were not enough viewing space and the show was terrible with bad pyro. Like, whose idea was it to use indoor flame charge on a lake? For the 50 people who got scalded by the extreme heat that could see it?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017