Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

raven

[Volcano Bay is] not going to outdo any of those parks as far as immersion is concerned when you're on 5 of the 6 unthemed slide towers or when you're riding down 25 of the 30 unthemed water slides in the park. That's just a fact.
Again, save these judgements until its opened and you experience it first hand.

rushtest4echo

Again, save these judgements until its opened and you experience it first hand.

This argument usually holds water, but it doesn't here.- punneriffic! It's a water park. A regular one with the volcano and two unique slides/elements inside. Those elements will be awesome. The rest is a water park. One with adequate theming and a great collection of off the shelf slides. Back to the Typhoon discussion, Miss Adventure Falls will be better themed than all but two of the attractions at VB- that is to say it has more than generic polynesia theming that's been done at water parks across the world for decades. It's awesome to see the SEA tie in- it's one of my favorite little things about Disney parks that set them apart from even their industry peers. You just don't see that storyline (that's relevant to like .0001% of visitors) anywhere else!

Last edited:

raven

Miss Adventure Falls will be better themed than all but two of the attractions at VB- that is to say it has more than generic polynesia theming that's been done at water parks across the world for decades. You just don't see that storyline (that's relevant to like .0001% of visitors) anywhere else!
You make it sound as if a storyline and theme the #1 reason why guests go on a waterslide. It's a nice added feature but I think most people could really care less. And the videos of Miss Adventure Falls that we've seen show there is absolutely no theming on the slide itself.

Tom Morrow

Some of you, especially in the Universal forum, are so convinced that Volcano Bay will be the Diagon Alley of water parks, or you're in denial because Universal has become the example to "shame" Disney with, so they frequently get passes for average efforts.

The park is two months from opening, so the structures you see are all there will be - you aren't going to see any more impressive thematic structures going up. There is the volcano structure, and minimal theming touches elsewhere like pacific-themed roofs over the slide loading platforms. I know that pacific/Polynesian/tropical theming for a water park is pretty tried and true, but it's also a little disappointing that Universal didn't try for something more original. Typhoon Lagoon may also use this theme, but it has the unique touch of being hit by a typhoon - that is the extra Disney step that makes the theme resonate with guests. I know Universal also crafted a semi-elaborate backstory for the park, but I really wonder how much this story will actually be conveyed in the park and how much of it is just PR/Marketing and in a few years nobody will know or care what the backstory is - similar to how IOA has a backstory that's been completely lost over time.

I'm not one to complain about exposed track or slide structures, but it's honestly annoying that they made no attempt to theme the slide tubes and structures other than the volcano slides and the roofs over the loading platforms. They could have made the staircases and support structures look Polynesian native tribe-esque, nope - standard wood and steel. They could have chosen natural earth tones for the slide tubes - nope, standard multi-colored off the shelf colors you'll find at every generic water park everywhere. Also remember that water parks are far more common than theme parks as even mid-sized cities often have one. And they all have the same multi-colored slides. There is literally a small water park right across I4 with multi-colored slides, and Aquatica only a few miles away.

Seriously - how much more expense would those small thematic touches really add to the project?

Last edited:

andysol

Seriously - how much more expense would those small thematic touches really add to the project?

Have we not thought that Universal doesn't want to hide the plethora of slides they have? Has no one though they could have ordered brown slides like TL instead of Red, Black and Yellow ones?

It's a totally different demographic. Take your 12 year old to Typhoon Lagoon, then the Volcano Bay- and ask which one he enjoyed more. Volcano Bay is doing exactly what it wants to do- show off the slides. Be thrilling. Be in your face. Has anyone ever wondered why you can see Incredible Hulk from everywhere? They choose not to hide it. Disney did what their strength is- a family friendly ride. Universal is doing what their strength is- appealing to the young adults and teen with a massive amount of attractions. Over 60% more attractions, in fact.

This Disney v Universal stuff is beyond dumb. Anyone who has been to both realize its not one or the other and they aren't apples v apples. They have their strengths and they prey on those. I love both for what they are- and it shouldn't be a comparison because they're both attempting to accomplish the same goal (get your money)- through completely different demographics. They try to get some bleedover- for example- the kids/toddler (under 48") area at Volcano Bay looks lightyears better than anything TL or BB has. But truthfully, water parks are pretty lame for the under 42" crowd anyway- and that's not Universal's bag, so I'm a little surprised they made such an elaborate area there.

But again- it all goes back to- ask your 12 year old after experiencing both, which he'd like. Now ask your parents in their 50s and 60s which they like. It will almost assuredly be two different answers.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I'm not suggesting that the slides need to be disguised for a properly themed water park at all. I'm not one of those people who complains about visible coaster track. I'm saying that they could have put in a little more effort to make those slides not look like obvious off-the-shelf slides. As if giving them themed staircases and earthy tones would somehow make them invisible to kids.

No. They didn't theme them because its cheaper and yes people will come anyway, but that doesn't make the decision any less mediocre.

Disney Analyst

Have we not thought that Universal doesn't want to hide the plethora of slides they have? Has no one though they could have ordered brown slides like TL instead of Red, Black and Yellow ones?

It's a totally different demographic. Take your 12 year old to Typhoon Lagoon, then the Volcano Bay- and ask which one he enjoyed more. Volcano Bay is doing exactly what it wants to do- show off the slides. Be thrilling. Be in your face. Has anyone ever wondered why you can see Incredible Hulk from everywhere? They choose not to hide it. Disney did what their strength is- a family friendly ride. Universal is doing what their strength is- appealing to the young adults and teen with a massive amount of attractions. Over 60% more attractions, in fact.

This Disney v Universal stuff is beyond dumb. Anyone who has been to both realize its not one or the other and they aren't apples v apples. They have their strengths and they prey on those. I love both for what they are- and it shouldn't be a comparison because they're both attempting to accomplish the same goal (get your money)- through completely different demographics. They try to get some bleedover- for example- the kids/toddler (under 48") area at Volcano Bay looks lightyears better than anything TL or BB has. But truthfully, water parks are pretty lame for the under 42" crowd anyway- and that's not Universal's bag, so I'm a little surprised they made such an elaborate area there.

But again- it all goes back to- ask your 12 year old after experiencing both, which he'd like. Now ask your parents in their 50s and 60s which they like. It will almost assuredly be two different answers.

I completely agree. They are most certainly catering to different demographics. Disney caters to everyone, from young to old. Universal truly caters to teens and adults. This is partly why I think Universal will never really surpass Disney in numbers/money, unless they shift their focus to catering to everyone, and going above and beyond with theming everywhere.

Disney can appeal to thrill seekers, to those who want something gentle, and to small children... and the parks disguise all the scary attractions (for the most part) under incredible theming, which helps to not overwhelm the tiniest guests.

Universal appeals to children and non thrill seekers in some areas, but for the most park their parks are designed to show off the thrills/create adrenaline and a level of excitement/fear.

Tom Morrow

*Disney builds one mostly un-themed, exposed waterslide structure, which still has more theming and build-up than almost every slide at Volcano Bay, in a park that is already pretty well-rounded*
"Disney took the cheap route with this one."

*Universal builds entire park consisting of mostly off-the-shelf, almost entirely unthemed waterslides*
"No see, they specifically did this because of their demographic!"

"Welcome children, thank you for participating in Universal's focus group. Okay, tell me what you think about the water slides in this picture?"
*shows picture of slides with earth tones*
Kids: "That looks like boring stuff for old people!"
*shows same picture with same slides but with rad color schemes*
Kids: *lose their sh--, erupt with cheers*

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

*Disney builds one mostly un-themed, exposed waterslide structure, which still has more theming and build-up than almost every slide at Volcano Bay*
"Disney took the cheap route with this one."

*Universal builds entire park consisting of mostly off-the-shelf, almost entirely unthemed waterslides*

"Welcome children, thank you for participating in Universal's focus group. Okay, tell me what you think about the water slides in this picture?"
*shows picture of slides with earth tones*
Kids: "That looks like boring stuff for old people!"
*shows same picture with same slides but with rad color schemes*
Kids: *lose their sh--, erupt with cheers*

C6CC0ZiWQAYFaLQ.jpg:large

Rock work to climb cliffs and rope swing queue for the Oh no and Oh yah....oh yah its themed and not part of the volcano.

Mind you, getting the chance to interact with Vol isn’t the only aspect of Universal’s Volcano Bay that harkens back to / touches on Krakatua’s creation myth. Take – for example – the Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides.

“These are two trap door drop slides that face one another. They’re positioned high up on the side of Krakatua where the sea meets the sky. And given that the trap doors on this attraction open simultaneously, guests can then experience what Kala & Tai Nui felt. That fear when her father tore them apart,” Dale said.

Oh wait thats also themed. Maybe waiting and seeing more of the finished product before rushing to conclusions may be the best bet because so far with more information a lot of people have been forced to eat crow.

Magic Feather

The general fact of the matter is that Typhoon is more integrated theme wise that Volcano Bay. And there is nothing wrong with that. Universal's Waterpark is butting up against a major roadway. They want it to draw attention. The don't want to make the slides blend in And there is nothing wrong with that. Disney put less theming on Miss Adventure than normal, but it still has more theming than most of VB's slides. And there is nothing wrong with that. Ultimately, this whole thing comes down to preference. If you do not agree with what a company does don't give them your money. Don't buy every up charge and add on the dangle in front of you. The consumer has the power, but only in mass numbers. Both parks will be successful in their own right, and much of this is subjective. I am not saying that this topic should cease to exist, so long as it remains healthy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney has the potential in either of their two water parks to make them the best in the world. They have the money, the space, and the ability. It just needs the desire to do so.

I see no reason why Disney couldn't cater for families and thrill seekers given the above.

Tom Morrow

C6CC0ZiWQAYFaLQ.jpg:large

Rock work to climb cliffs and rope swing queue for the Oh no and Oh yah....oh yah its themed and not part of the volcano.

Oh wait thats also themed. Maybe waiting and seeing more of the finished product before rushing to conclusions may be the best bet because so far with more information a lot of people have been forced to eat crow.

Okay... well that actually does look pretty impressive. If that level of detail was applied to all of the slide structures this could easily blow Typhoon Lagoon away in theming.

raven

Obviously VB is being built to show off their massive slides from outside of the park and property area. It's definitely an attention grabber when you are in that area. Disney's are well hidden and guests have to rely on photos and commercials of their water parks.

Disney does, indeed, have the money and resources to make their water parks grand. But a lot of that money is spent on relentless meetings, research and "hidden gems" that don't seem to merit the extra work once all is said and done. Just seems like a lot of overkill and spending that isn't going to be appreciated anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if they do all of that just so they can publish a book about it later.

Absimilliard

You and Tom have it right. The slides on the mountain structure will be very well themed. The others are at the level of Aquatica, which is significantly below anything at Disney. I'm sure all of the slides will be great, but I'm really only looking forward to the hydromagnetic slide and the lazy river myself. Of course, that Hydromagnetic slide is going to have an epic wait time and will sell out instantly on tapu-tapwhatever since it's only the single slide as opposed to the 3 flumes on Disney's master blaster (different technology, but close enough). It'll be cool to have a dark rideish slide in Orlando, I hope it's at least as good as the one in Colorado as far as theming.

The rest of the slides there are standard fare- off the shelf out of the Proslide catalog. People who think that Volcano Bay is going to overturn the water park industry know nothing about the water park industry. It'll be a fun park, it'll have 2 impressive slides and the rest will be stuff that you probably already rode at your local waterpark years ago. If you're looking for industry changing water parks/slides you'll need to head to the Middle East or Asia though.

Don't get me wrong. I have no doubt that Volcano Bay will be a smash hit. It looks like a fabulous park, though the location is horrid. In typical fashion, Universal is attempting to set the world ablaze with their "innovation" by repackaging stuff out of a catalog with a virtual queue system that's been in the industry for a decade and it's all being called a game changer... As if no parks already did this stuff eons ago. Still, it'll be a fun park aside from Universal bravado and ridiculous marketing.

Hey, at least there won't be any screens around the park. I'm not sure Universal is going to be able to pull off an attraction much less an entire park without projectors! ;) Come to think of it, I'm shocked that Universal hasn't just installed some motion platforms, used their tacky water splash effect that's on every one of their rides, and then placed a screen with a water slide projection and called the whole thing a "next gen waterslide". I better not give them ideas. I can see them running with something like that and calling it the worlds best waterslide at the world's only "water theme park". ;)

I'll be touring the place in a bit and I can't wait to get measurements on that hydromagnetic slide. It appears to have a few drops that are much longer than your typical model of that type. Luckily it's nothing like Verruckt though, we don't need any of that mess here. The day I heard about Veruckt, well before it was built, I concluded that it would kill someone in short order- didn't take me long to be proven right.

That's interesting, where is your proof that Volcano Bay slides are "off the shelf out of the Proslide catalog"? That would be news to both Universal Creative and Proslide themselves, but if you do: please post. Proslide does not do "off the shelf" with the possible exception of the "Six Flags" Tornado model. Even then, each of those installations were slightly modified to fit the site where it was installed.

As for so called innovation, it can come in different forms and in the case of Volcano Bay, Universal concentrated on getting the best slide selection in the world with the new toys tossed in. Disney's goal here was quite different I feel: Typhoon Lagoon needed capacity and a new slide with no height restriction. Sure, I would have loved an Hydromagnetic Mammoth Water Coaster like at Holiday World, but did the park really need a 4th water coaster and yet another new slide with a 42 inches height restriction? Now, if you were talking say a Mammoth Water Coaster/Tornado 60 Hybrid for Blizzard Beach...

I have said it before and will say it again: there are new innovations coming to Volcano Bay water slides and some of them will be eye opening. One of them is visible in plain sight, the TornadoWALL/TornadoWall Hybrid slide which has never been done before. The ride is absolutely amazing with just one Wall element and now, Proslide designed one with two? Just that slide is enough to get me to book a day at the park in November.

Last, you don't need to go to Asia or the Middle East for the best water parks. A trip to Tenerife (Canary Islands), Melgar (near Bogota, Colombia) or near Montreal will cover that nicely. All three parks are perfectly operated, have amazing and unique attractions and are located in nice areas to visit.

What you will find in Montreal:

DSCN2068_zpsavaaehzb.jpg

Second water coaster of its type in the world, featuring 4 FlyingSaucer elements and two uphill segments.

What you will find in Colombia:

DSCN4170_zps73njaszl.jpg

The park in Colombia is hilly, covered in a forest and except for the main pool complex, every slide has its own area in the woods.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Saw a repost of Brian Carey's photo's of shark reef while he was visiting the new attraction. Seems Shark Reef area near is still pretty much intact minus the water and fishies. Surprised since it closed early October that it wasn't demo'd during the annual closure. Dejavu of River Country all over again.
C6uWzCNWkAEqyoj.jpg

C6uWzCUWwAEPSh4.jpg

Guess everyone else was busy scurrying around in the chilly temps this weekend riding the new one to notice the replaced was really still there.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Hmmm...interesting how you toss Universal's demographic into your review of the yet to be launched waterpark.

And the unthemed water slide you speak of?
vb-story-2.jpg

uo-volcanobay2c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

How is this not themed? Themed and complex IMO.

While this was great in its day at Blizzard
blizzard-beach-water-park-6.jpg

or this theming?
blizzard-beach-finish-line-1-5.jpg

or Typhoon lack luster theming of crusher
crush-n-gusher-gallery06.jpg

and what major water park doesn't have this rack slide?
th

IMO you have to take in the overall theming of the waterparks. Uni seems to have a very good Crown Jewel that can compete with both Blizzard and Typhoon's Crown Jewel's. Time to accept there is about to be a 3rd excellent Water Theme Park in town and forget about belittling it with unsettling comments about Uni's demographic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom