Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach: "Theme parks" or Water parks?

PolyDreamin

Original Poster
This may sound like a really stupid question, and it probably is. Recently I have been seeing commercials online and on television advertising Universal Orlando, saying "3 theme parks". I checked their website and it turns out they consider the new Volcano water park to actually be a theme park just the same as Studios and Islands of Adventure.
My question is, if a water park is highly themed with detail and guest immersion, should it be considered a theme park? Will Disney ever consider Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach to be theme parks, and increase their park count to 6, as Universal now claims 3 with the inclusion of Volcano Bay? After watching a recent video of Miss Adventure Falls at Typhoon, it looks to have the detail, animatronic factor, and atmosphere to add to the already immersive theme of the park. Will it get the upgrade from water to theme park some year? Sorry if this all sounds confusing. I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but just found it curious. Maybe it has more to do with park size which labels one as a theme and one as a water park.

PolyDreamin

Original Poster
I've never considered TL or BB to be theme parks
Me neither. I had never even heard of water parks referred to as theme parks until this recent Universal ad campaign. That's what has me wondering if this will gradually become an industry wide thing in the future.

Matt_Black

They're themed water parks. Other water parks don't have any sort of story or narrative besides "hey, water slides!", whereas TL, BB, and River Country back in the day had backstory and a very clear mood and atmosphere they were shooting for. Blizzard Beach, in particular, strikes me as very true to form, as the backstory of a blizzard hitting Florida and short sighted business people build a ski resort without thinking if this will last seems a little on the nose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom