Trip Report Two Turkeys at WDW & Merrytime Disney Cruise November 2016

Hello! My husband and I (two turkeys) just got back from WDW & a Merrytime Disney Cruise and I thought I would share our adventures. All of you are welcome to read but I'm going to tag a few of you that I know have followed along before. (Or at least those I can remember.) I look forward to reading your reactions!

I have shared a few of our other adventures and if you are interested here are some links:

Disneyland
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disneyland-forever-july-2016.917141/
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/back-to-disneyland-ringin-in-2016.909039/

Walt Disney World
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ts-wdw-november-2015-lots-of-pictures.907613/
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/movin-in-two-weeks-in-the-world.915373/
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/springin-into-wdw-solo-march-2016.911995/

Introduction:
Who: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) We are the two turkeys.
Magic Band personalization: Me: Gobble '16 and Brad Stuffing, in honor of Thanksgiving
When: November 22-November 28
Where did we stay: All Star Sports

Backstory We have wanted to do a Christmas themed cruise for awhile, and in May of 2014 I booked us on a 3 night cruise in hopes that it would match up with my school's calendar. Luckily it it did. I figured I might have to take a personal day (which I did), and we would add in some time at WDW.

The Report
Tuesday November 22:
I teach in a rural northern Wisconsin school so school for our students is off the whole week of Thanksgiving, but we have teacher inservice Monday and Tuesday. In our district we are not supposed to take off inservice days. So being the rule follower that I am yet still wanting to get maximize my WDW time I book (months ahead of time) a flight leaving at 7:10pm on Tuesday night. I figure I am golden, I don't have to break the work rules, and I'll still get to Disney on Tuesday night giving me 2 full WDW days before the cruise. Leaving on a 7pm will be perfect for traveling from work to the airport and giving me the time cushion I like to give myself at the airport. Well, Delta airlines had other plans.

About 1 1/2 month before our flight, I get an email from Delta saying they cancelled my 7pm flight and moved me to a 5pm!!!:jawdrop::mad: This was not good! If I left work for the airport without asking to leave early I would make it to the airport (if things went perfectly) when my plane would be boarding! So long story short I went and talked to my boss, fully prepared to take unpaid time and all that. And luckily he was very understanding and he said he knew that I would easily make up the time/work since I usually come in to work about 1-1 1/2 early every day anyway, and I would not have to take unpaid or personal time. (which was good because I had already designated my other personal day for a WDW in March of 2017). So now the only thing I had to worry about was weather & traffic getting to the airport.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but the weather decided that there would be a wintry mix with mostly freezing rain starting at noon the day we flew out! :jawdrop::mad: Ok, so now I'm already "breaking" the rule of leaving early, but now the roads would be treacherous. And I HATE driving in bad weather. It all made this type A girl very anxious. So my boss said I could leave even a little earlier. Luckily the weather people were somewhat wrong and it was mostly rain on the way, and stayed mostly rain. But were were at the airport now about 3 1/2 hours early. But we were there and our plane was on time. It really was time to relax now.

Minneapolis has two terminal buildings and we were flying out of the big terminal and flying back to the smaller one (with the cheaper parking). So we parked at the smaller terminal and took the light rail train to the bigger one. It is a bit of a hassle but the train came shortly after we got the to platform and away we went.

Brad at the train platform
IMG_3408.JPG

We are on time for take off. The plane did have to go through de-icing, as did other planes. So we were 20 minutes late in take off because of waiting for de-icing, but we only landed about 5-10 minutes late.
IMG_3409.JPG

The plane is here, what you can't see to well in the pictures is the sleety-rain. It made me a little nervous, but the trucks were constantly spraying de-icer on the runways.
IMG_3410.JPG

We landed, YAY! And since we planned to drive to the cruise port we rented a car. This was our sweet ride. As usually hubby, tried to pick up the most beat up and scratched one in the lot. His theory is that then the rental car company can't prove the scratches are from us.
IMG_3416.JPG

It was dark then as we drove under the sign so my picture didn't turn out clear. I got this blurr, but in a way it is kind of trippy and cool with the blur.
wdw sign.JPG

We were super hungry and we thought about going to Trader Sam's or Disney Springs for something but it was a little after 11:30 pm and figured we wouldn't have much time. So we parked at the All-Star Sports and went into the food court. We probably should have went to the McDonald's. We got chicken tenders and fries and they were definitely end of the night servings (a little cold and stale). But it was sustenance and then we could go right to our room.
IMG_3423.JPG

A couple pictures of the decorations at the Sports. They weren't anything spectacular like a gingerbread house, but I liked them.
IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

Our room was really close to the main building in the Touchdown section. So we were both happy. In June we had requested to be near transport at the Music and got stuck in the Broadway section which was a bit of a hike. So we unpacked and I put up a few Christmas decorations to spirit up the room.
IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

So after unpacking we went to bed. We were planning to maximize our WDW with early mornings and late nights. We figured we could relax on the cruise.

Tags:
@figmentfan423 , @MinnieM123 , @JenniferS , @Tuvalu , @PacNWTigger , @Gabe1 , @betty rose , @Songbird76 , @catmom46 , @BuddyThomas , @donaldtoo , @Cesar R M , @fractal , @Mr Ferret 88 , @MouseDreaming , @PUSH, @Wrangler-Rick, @sheriffwoody, @MOXOMUMD

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing on with the day before Thanksgiving...

We flew in Dumbo.
IMG_3517.JPG

Then we headed over to Buzz. We always sit in separate cars, we fight over the spinner and claim each other positions the car to benefit themselves. However, after the last couple spins I had, I think I am ready to admit that I am just plain bad at Buzz and we might sit together next time.
IMG_3523.JPG

Somehow we ended back behind the castle again.
IMG_3524.JPG

Christmas decor at the back of the castle.
IMG_3527.JPG

And then we ended up in front of the castle again.
IMG_3530.JPG

A little trolley show..

IMG_3536.JPG

I just love all the poinsettias in front of the partners statue, don't you?
IMG_3543.JPG

We wandered down Main Street, as Brad was in search of the Dapper Dans. He told me to do something crazy in front of the ice cream shop. So I guess this is my crazy face!
IMG_3565.JPG

I decided to search for a job, unfortunately it was just for show. Maybe another day!

IMG_3573.JPG

Then we did a little shopping in the Emporium.
IMG_3577.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
It is always fun to look at the windows of the Emporium. I noticed this gem this time, notice the Steinmouse and sons brand of piano!
IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

The Christmas wreaths are so pretty on Main Street too.
IMG_3584.JPG

And we finally saw the Dapper Dans coming down Main Street, they were lightly singing in the car but Brad (and I) still followed them on their journey. Maybe Brad needs a new tee-shirt with Dapper Dans groupie on the front.
IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

A close up of some of the tree from Town Square.
IMG_3599.JPG

The tree from afar
IMG_3602.JPG

A one of the Mickey's Christmas Carol window on the Emporium, sorry for the glare.
IMG_3608.JPG

Back into the Emporium. Can anyone spot the odd stuffed animal?
IMG_3614.JPG

Then we crossed over into Adventureland to meet my sister and niece at Jingle Cruise.
IMG_3619.JPG

Coming up....merriment in the jungle and learning about history (but only the American parts).

Cesar R M

It is always fun to look at the windows of the Emporium. I noticed this gem this time, notice the Steinmouse and sons brand of piano!
View attachment 178248

View attachment 178249

The Christmas wreaths are so pretty on Main Street too.
View attachment 178250

And we finally saw the Dapper Dans coming down Main Street, they were lightly singing in the car but Brad (and I) still followed them on their journey. Maybe Brad needs a new tee-shirt with Dapper Dans groupie on the front.
View attachment 178251

View attachment 178252

A close up of some of the tree from Town Square.
View attachment 178254

The tree from afar
View attachment 178255

A one of the Mickey's Christmas Carol window on the Emporium, sorry for the glare.
View attachment 178256

Back into the Emporium. Can anyone spot the odd stuffed animal?
View attachment 178257

Then we crossed over into Adventureland to meet my sister and niece at Jingle Cruise.
View attachment 178258

Coming up....merriment in the jungle and learning about history (but only the American parts).
very nice photos!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Can't wait to read the rest of your report. One time I had scheduled the 7 pm Delta flight and mine got cancelled too! Must not be a popular flight.

Thanks. I don't know why they bother to offer a flight at 7pm then in they frequently cancel it. Dang airlines!:)

Following along!! Your pictures are really making me miss going to Disney for the holidays! Can't wait to read more

Thanks. I love Disney at any time of the year but the holidays are a little more magical. :)

very nice photos!

Thank you!:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Can't wait to read the rest of your report. One time I had scheduled the 7 pm Delta flight and mine got cancelled too

Thanks. I don't know why they bother to offer a flight at 7pm then in they frequently cancel it. Dang airlines!

I don't have any stats on Delta's record around the country, but I can tell you that I stopped flying Delta to Orlando because of constantly changing times of flights (I always book my tickets months in advance). Switched to Jet Blue for the past 7 years or so, and haven't had any regrets.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't have any stats on Delta's record around the country, but I can tell you that I stopped flying Delta to Orlando because of constantly changing times of flights (I always book my tickets months in advance). Switched to Jet Blue for the past 7 years or so, and haven't had any regrets.

We don't have Jet Blue. I often fly the regional carrier SunCountry out of Minneapolis, but sometimes Delta's schedule or cost works better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom