1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Two questions

Discussion in 'Vacation Homes and Villas' started by jaime_1234, Jan 28, 2005.

1. jaime_1234

jaime_1234 Member

My family is interested in moving to Florida, but we have no idea which area to move to. So I have two questions, first of all, does anybody know of any rental homes in the Orlando area that allows pets where we could stay for awhile while we explore the area? Our dog, bless her, is a sweetheart to us but absolutely hates anybody else, so we can't leave her at home because she won't let anybody near her to take care of her. (And at around 80 lbs. with a ferocious bark and growl nobody we know is really too interested in taking care of her either) .

Also, we are interested in moving somewhere within driving distance of Disney (about an hour away or less), but we don't want to be in a city or even a big neighborhood. Does anybody know of any place around that area where we could maybe buy a nice 4-5 acres that's kind of in the country? Thanks in advance for any input!
  2. Yellow Shoes

Yellow Shoes Well-Known Member

I take it that your family is just heading for Florida with no specific employment lined up ?

Look at a map and get an idea of towns that fit your criteria.

Go to realtor.com and look at houses for sale in those areas.

Go to orlandosentinel.com (you may have to register to use the site--it's free to do so) and look at the employment and real estate ads.
  3. jaime_1234

jaime_1234 Member

Nope, no specific employment lined up. My parents are both retired, I'm in college, and my brother's a firefighter/paramedic, and he's already looked into employment and sees several places that are hiring, so it shouldn't be too difficult for him to find a place to work. Thanks for the advice about realtor.com, I'd been looking for a web-site that had listings like that but hadn't seen that one before!
  4. bsandersjr

bsandersjr Active Member

5. William Worden

William Worden New Member

Moving to Florida

We live in upstate NY, but we vacation in Florida every year only about ten minutes from Disney. It's a beautiful area called Highlands Reserve. They also have a new area right there called Regal Palms. The homes are both for sale and to rent. To find out more go to SuperiorHolidays.com.
  6. jaime_1234

jaime_1234 Member

Some of those houses look really cool - and they're pretty affordable too! I noticed that the web-site said some pets allowed; do you know of any type of pet that wouldn't be allowed? Are the back yards fenced in or would you have to keep them in the house all day while you're away? And by the way, thanks for answering my question for your first post! :wave:
  7. Gail Hayden

Gail Hayden New Member

Some are fenced, and I would never advise leaving any animal outside all day in FL. It gets very hot. There are restrictions on breeds and if they are at all aggressive, they would not be allowed. Usually the breed restrictions are : pit bulls, dobies, german shepards or any mix of any of the aforementioned breeds.
  8. jaime_1234

jaime_1234 Member

Oh, well, I guess since my dog would be considered aggressive, (even though she's a sweetheart with us), she wouldn't be allowed. She's a labrador retriever, so she's not one of the breeds normally associated with having bad dispositions, she's just EXTREMELY protective of our family and doesn't like for anyone to get close to us. We don't know what to do with her because we've never had a dog that doesn't get along with people before! I guess we'll just have to keep looking for other options! :brick: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :wave:
  9. Robfasto

Robfasto New Member

My sister lives in Davenport, FL. The house she is renting is near the US 192 & US 27. She can sit on her back porch in the evenings and watch the fireworks at Disney. Anything along US 27 down as far South as Haines City wouldn't be to bad. Haines City is about 30-40 minute drive and the rent wasn't to bad when I lived there.
  10. jaime_1234

jaime_1234 Member

That would be awesome to be able to see the fireworks from your house! We've never been to Davenport but we'll have to visit that area the next time we're down there. It's funny you mention Haines City because I just had a coworker move down there last week! I haven't heard from her since she's been down there but I'm waiting on a report to hear how she likes it!