Two big new features coming soon to MyMagic+

MissM

I find it weird that you like the MBs, but are creeped out by a feature that was touted as one of the best uses of them.
That was never the "best use" in my opinion. In fact, I am creeped out about the location tracking and such afforded them by the bands in general but at least prior to now, it was "behind the scenes" and I wasn't confronted with the reality that they could track/watch/monitor movement within the park so openly. So the fact they are now adding in the creeper factor of publically posting/saying your name...ew. No thank you. So far, I've yet to find any section of my account to disable this icky stalker feature.

Jon81uk

That was never the "best use" in my opinion. In fact, I am creeped out about the location tracking and such afforded them by the bands in general but at least prior to now, it was "behind the scenes" and I wasn't confronted with the reality that they could track/watch/monitor movement within the park so openly. So the fact they are now adding in the creeper factor of publically posting/saying your name...ew. No thank you. So far, I've yet to find any section of my account to disable this icky stalker feature.

There has never been any real proof that they can track your location within the park. They will know what attractions you've been on (as it is reading your MagicBand to link photos to MDE and also to display your name). So I guess they will have a history of which attractions you rode, but I don't think they have added so many RFID readers that they know who is stood on main street etc. That would need a lot more readers and they would need to be somewhere within a 10 metres or so of the bands so they would be hard to locate efficiently. If you don't want Disney to know your ride history then get a ticket card instead, then they will only know which parks you visited (from turnstiles), which FPs you used and so on.

I would also assume if you don't like large corporations knowing your purchase history you don't have any supermarket loyalty cards...

I also think that Story Maker is one of the better uses of the technology, it adds "magic" to experiences in the park and creates nice small experiences that everyone will be able to enjoy. So far all we know it is being used for so far is names at Small World (and nobody knows which name belongs to which person) and for the Genie's Lamp to know your hometown & name (in a fairly private meet with Aladdin). They added screens in the Muppet Vision pre-show so that might get something soon too, but don't know what.

Personally I would like them to add the option of specifying what you are celebrating in MDE too. If I could walk in to Mickey and he says Hey, Happy Birthday Jon as I enter then room that would be pretty cool. Of course currently I would wear a Happy Birthday badge so he would know anyway but having the option to add it to MDE would be a good thing.

MissM

I would also assume if you don't like large corporations knowing your purchase history you don't have any supermarket loyalty cards...
No I do not. (Though I don't think that's a really a "thing" here anyway. I've heard of them but it must be an up north thing since we really only have Publix down here for supermarket and I'm not even aware of them having a "loyalty card" type thing anyway.)

In a world of TMI and WAY over sharing, I try to make an active point to limit what personal information I put out there to the public. I've never used any Foursquare or other "check in" type app and I refrain from using my legal name anywhere online. I also keep location services turned off on my phone at all times unless I am specifically need navigation somewhere. I hate when apps try to add in your location to everything. None of your business!!

I decide what I want and do not want to share and therefore, I do not want an attraction sharing information about me to the public. If someone wants to allow that, no problem. No skin off my teeth. But I do NOT want to allow it and I think this should be optional.

Jon81uk

I decide what I want and do not want to share and therefore, I do not want an attraction sharing information about me to the public. If someone wants to allow that, no problem. No skin off my teeth. But I do NOT want to allow it and I think this should be optional.

As far as I can tell (I looked on MDE) there is no way to opt out, the only option would be to use an RFID card instead of a band. This is noted in the terms

But don't forget, the only people in the boat on Its a Small World who know its your name is you and your family. I know my name is Jon as does my partner. But if the person on the left sees Goodbye Jon on a screen, the only thing he knows is that neither him nor his wife is called Jon. There is no little arrow pointing out which name belongs to each person

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Once they are ready to roll it out officially, I would imagine that an opt-out option will appear. Though as stated, you can always change back over to the RFID cards, since you're that paranoid. Nothing is creepy about it in the slightest. You're at a theme park that is designed to give it's guests magical experiences, not your local grocery store.

And Disney couldn't care less about tracking you in particular. When you consider that, on average, 50,000 people visit the MK alone each day, and adding in all the attractions, shops, and restaurants where they may scan your MB, there are literally millions of data points just in this one park every single day. In all of WDW every day, there are several million, and in a years time, you are talking billions. Disney does not have the manpower to track one individual for even one day, much less for an entire visit. They want to know during 10am - 11am how many people went through Adventureland, and how many went into the queue for POTC, JC, etc. so that they can staff those areas appropriately. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you think anything else, you really must wear your tinfoil hat everywhere.

Oh, and you do know that there are literally hundreds of cameras at every theme park, and have been for years, watching you all of the time?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I also think that Story Maker is one of the better uses of the technology, it adds "magic" to experiences in the park and creates nice small experiences that everyone will be able to enjoy. So far all we know it is being used for so far is names at Small World (and nobody knows which name belongs to which person) and for the Genie's Lamp to know your hometown & name (in a fairly private meet with Aladdin). They added screens in the Muppet Vision pre-show so that might get something soon too, but don't know what.

Personally I would like them to add the option of specifying what you are celebrating in MDE too. If I could walk in to Mickey and he says Hey, Happy Birthday Jon as I enter then room that would be pretty cool. Of course currently I would wear a Happy Birthday badge so he would know anyway but having the option to add it to MDE would be a good thing.
I agree. While we don't go to M&Gs by ourselves, I can imagine our grandchildren would love it!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As far as I can tell (I looked on MDE) there is no way to opt out, the only option would be to use an RFID card instead of a band. This is noted in the terms
While we wouldn't opt out, I do wonder if, at some point, there would be an option to not participate in this, even with a MB. Of course, since they offer the RFID cards, that may be the only opt out option, and I'm fine with that.

DisneyChik17

I always thought things like this would become the norm for MDE and it is one of the coolest things (and I'm a tinfoil hat kind of gal). I always thought this would become the norm for figuring wait times (swipe band when you enter the line, swipe as you load), interactive queues, endings such as this. The possibilities are endless and seem awesome.

Now, If I could just get it to work for me. I rode twice the other day just trying to get it to work and no such luck.

Tom

Beta Return
I always thought things like this would become the norm for MDE and it is one of the coolest things (and I'm a tinfoil hat kind of gal). I always thought this would become the norm for figuring wait times (swipe band when you enter the line, swipe as you load), interactive queues, endings such as this. The possibilities are endless and seem awesome.

Now, If I could just get it to work for me. I rode twice the other day just trying to get it to work and no such luck.

I too fully expect them to use the long range RFIDs to determine queue length. For every single active band that enters the queue, it can trigger a timer that stops when that person boards the vehicle. The database would then have "wait times" for nearly every person in queue, and can extrapolate, using trends, a fairly accurate wait time to post.

gwhb75

Just saw an update on this:

1) you will now be able to book FPs from your phone ( already knew that one)

2) You will now have the choice of 1-3 FPs up front (instead of having to pick 3)

3) You'll be able to remove 1 person from the FP group reservation as opposed to having to cancel the entire reservation

4) You'll be able to book FPs in other parks instead of having to choose just 1 park

The expected roll-out of this is April 10th.

LSUxStitch

2) You will now have the choice of 1-3 FPs up front (instead of having to pick 3)

3) You'll be able to remove 1 person from the FP group reservation as opposed to having to cancel the entire reservation

4) You'll be able to book FPs in other parks instead of having to choose just 1 park

The keywords to #4 is that it can only be used after your initial picks are completed. "Additional Fastpass+ reservations can be made one at time after your initial advance reservations have been used up"

I was hoping for multiple parks in same day within your first 3.

RememberWhen

Bah! We are at Disney now. We're at BLT and were in MK this morning. We forgot to make a 4th FP before we left, so DW walked back to the park to try to get us something for this evening after dinner. We leave on the 9th. This would have come in super handy. But I'm sure it will be great for our September trip.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Of all of the (implied) negative things we seem to have seen from Disney recently, these are some really nice/welcome changes that I'm really happy they are finally rolling out. Being able to book FastPasses from your phone for other parks will be great for Park Hopping. I look forward to being on the bus/monorail between parks and looking for/selecting my forth FassPass for the day before I get to the next park. Should greatly shorten the lines at the FastPass kiosks as well..

NYwdwfan

We know you can make the 4th at a different park - but is it confirmed you can make that without having gone through the turnstiles at the other park?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Once they are ready to roll it out officially, I would imagine that an opt-out option will appear. Though as stated, you can always change back over to the RFID cards, since you're that paranoid. Nothing is creepy about it in the slightest. You're at a theme park that is designed to give it's guests magical experiences, not your local grocery store.

And Disney couldn't care less about tracking you in particular. When you consider that, on average, 50,000 people visit the MK alone each day, and adding in all the attractions, shops, and restaurants where they may scan your MB, there are literally millions of data points just in this one park every single day. In all of WDW every day, there are several million, and in a years time, you are talking billions. Disney does not have the manpower to track one individual for even one day, much less for an entire visit. They want to know during 10am - 11am how many people went through Adventureland, and how many went into the queue for POTC, JC, etc. so that they can staff those areas appropriately. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you think anything else, you really must wear your tinfoil hat everywhere.

Oh, and you do know that there are literally hundreds of cameras at every theme park, and have been for years, watching you all of the time?

But thats were the millions of dollars that were spent on analytic software that they develop which can be used to predict guests behavior and cater to what they may want to do come into place.

Biff215

Yes. Starting Sunday, you can make the fourth FP selection from the app without having to physically be inside the other park
I'm surprised they're not making it a requirement that you physically be in the park to choose the extra ones. I imagine there will be a fair amount of unused FP's as plans change, but I guess it's not much different than what also happens with the first three.

Great to hear about this change!

MrPromey

Agreed, I mean if someone pays for a Park Hopper you would think they would be entitled to book FP to the parks they want to Hop to.

From a logistics standpoint for Disney, I think too many people would like this option. You think it would be hard to get good fastpasses for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Toy Story Midway Mania, and the soon to be open Fronzen attraction under the current system? Imagine competing to get you hands on them when a single family can book all three in a single day.

Disney needs to make sure people are still using fast passes for Pirates of the Caribbean, Spaceship Earth, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid to (try to) ensure there are enough to go around for the stuff with the highest fastpass demand.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm surprised they're not making it a requirement that you physically be in the park to choose the extra ones. I imagine there will be a fair amount of unused FP's as plans change, but I guess it's not much different than what also happens with the first three.

Great to hear about this change!

It's easy to geolocate a phone It's why some features of MDE only activate when you are in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom