Turtle Trek, Sea World

rambocat1974

Original Poster
Hi all.

Been looking on the net about this new attraction and wondered when it was due to open??

Only thing I can find says spring 2012, but wanted to know if there was a more specific date??

Rob

dave&di

Does anyone know anything about the life of a turtle film, are we going to see turtles die? :cry: I can't bear wildlife documentaries due to the death/killing aspect!

celluloid

Does anyone know anything about the life of a turtle film, are we going to see turtles die? :cry: I can't bear wildlife documentaries due to the death/killing aspect!

I think from what we have seen teased most of it will be CGI and in 3D. Just a film about their amazing trek. I am sure it will mention the dangers and hazards they face thanks to human troublemakers, but I don't think it is going to make anyone easily cry.

dave&di

I think from what we have seen teased most of it will be CGI and in 3D. Just a film about their amazing trek. I am sure it will mention the dangers and hazards they face thanks to human troublemakers, but I don't think it is going to make anyone easily cry.

Thanks, I'll remain hesitant for now! I easily cry at things like this! It will be open a while before I go so I'll check back once people have seen it!!

ISTCrew20

Thanks, I'll remain hesitant for now! I easily cry at things like this! It will be open a while before I go so I'll check back once people have seen it!!

I experienced Turtle Trek today and was very impressed. After being ushered through several pre-show rooms, you enter the dome. What I thought would be a neat presentation quickly turned into something that exceeded my expectations. Even though it was a little rough animation wise (less Pixar fluidity, more jerky type animation during some scenes) the flawless 3-D dome projection was phenomenal. There was one scene where jellyfish appeared in the distance, and as they approach, you can look left, right, and up and you are surrounded. And this will sound hokey, but there are parts where you really feel you are underwater when you look up during whatever scene and see the sun shining through the water. The final scene of the show really packed an emotional punch that was way more effective than anything I've seen in a theme park environment before.

The exit and gift ship are also executed perfectly (with a must sea feature in the gift shop that you can't miss.)

In the past 3 years, I have seen Seaworld step up their game in a huge way, and Turtle Trek is another example of how to be a leader in the entertainment industry.

There are several operational factors that I see being worked out, however. One of the biggest is the fact that you enter and exit the dome through the same doors, bearing left to exit and straight to go back to the pre-show rooms. This will be a problem during the busy times. Second, the second pre-show room features a presentation by an enthusiastic member of the Seaworld team as she explains sea turtles sets up the story for the film. Her presentation is done in the corner of the room, which gives everybody who can't see her the right to talk over her entire presentation.

Either way, a great new attraction that I can't wait to see again.

PS - One of the best original attraction scores to date, too.

TalkingHead

I experienced Turtle Trek today and was very impressed. After being ushered through several pre-show rooms, you enter the dome. What I thought would be a neat presentation quickly turned into something that exceeded my expectations. Even though it was a little rough animation wise (less Pixar fluidity, more jerky type animation during some scenes) the flawless 3-D dome projection was phenomenal. There was one scene where jellyfish appeared in the distance, and as they approach, you can look left, right, and up and you are surrounded. And this will sound hokey, but there are parts where you really feel you are underwater when you look up during whatever scene and see the sun shining through the water. The final scene of the show really packed an emotional punch that was way more effective than anything I've seen in a theme park environment before.

The exit and gift ship are also executed perfectly (with a must sea feature in the gift shop that you can't miss.)

In the past 3 years, I have seen Seaworld step up their game in a huge way, and Turtle Trek is another example of how to be a leader in the entertainment industry.

There are several operational factors that I see being worked out, however. One of the biggest is the fact that you enter and exit the dome through the same doors, bearing left to exit and straight to go back to the pre-show rooms. This will be a problem during the busy times. Second, the second pre-show room features a presentation by an enthusiastic member of the Seaworld team as she explains sea turtles sets up the story for the film. Her presentation is done in the corner of the room, which gives everybody who can't see her the right to talk over her entire presentation.

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in checking it out. Is the theater like a Circlevision room with lean rails, or is it just an open space?

I gotta say, too, between the incredibly fun Manta, TurtleTrek, and Antarctica, SeaWorld really appears to be stepping up to the plate.

ISTCrew20

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in checking it out. Is the theater like a Circlevision room with lean rails, or is it just an open space?

I gotta say, too, between the incredibly fun Manta, TurtleTrek, and Antarctica, SeaWorld really appears to be stepping up to the plate.

Yes, very similar to circle vision, but with a podium in the middle, and much smaller and more intimate than any circle vision theater. There is one set of doors to enter through, and walking in is really a unique experience. The dome has a nice lighting package that is used before the actual film.

dave&di

Thanks for sharing, I've seen a 3 min clip of it and it looks very impressive, I wasn't expecting anything like that.

You said about an emotional ending, do you see something sad regarding the turtles, I don't do dying animals!!!

ISTCrew20

Thanks for sharing, I've seen a 3 min clip of it and it looks very impressive, I wasn't expecting anything like that.

You said about an emotional ending, do you see something sad regarding the turtles, I don't do dying animals!!!

Nope, nothing to that effect. It was an emotionally uplifting ending, I should say.

The only thing dealing with death that I remember are some stats that are given out in one of the pre-shows that explain the number of sea turtles that die every year in nets and other preventable hazards.

dave&di

Nope, nothing to that effect. It was an emotionally uplifting ending, I should say.

The only thing dealing with death that I remember are some stats that are given out in one of the pre-shows that explain the number of sea turtles that die every year in nets and other preventable hazards.

Phew! I'm really looking forward to it now! I don't do coasters so it's great to something else to see. Thanks

maxairmike

Really excited to get back over to SeaWorld to experience this. Between this and the Antarctica thing, I'm really close to giving in and grabbing a season pass.

RichS

We were in the first group thru at the opening. It was pretty cool. Same observations as ISTCrew20 some parts were much clearer than others, and the in and out of the same doors.

Pete C

I went on TurtleTrek this weekend, and my group of 4 all loved it. The 3D technology is really impressive. IMO this is the best theater-based attraction to date. The dome allows for objects to pass through the room, as if hovering above your head. I was almost smack in the middle of the circle, so I imagine that got the best effect. I wonder if those on the edges would say the same.

The movie itself is also very good in terms of content and action. The animation is not Pixar-level, but it's good enough. I think they will sell a good amount of plush turtles as there were several types and they were good quality.

This is really exactly what SeaWorld needed...a quality indoor attraction that keeps people busy for over an hour between the line, attraction, and post-show lagoons. Antarctica next year is really going to push this park over the top. It will be very tough to see everything in one day, especially with the time people spend looking at animals. At that point, I think the only thing left for them would be to update Wild Arctic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom