Tunnel between Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary

Lee

Adventurer
I don't know if there's a similar entrance across the park.
Nope. Just the one by Energy. There is a difference in grade on that side, allowing for direct tunnel access.
I once went into the lower level of the Body Wars sim bay, and I don't remember any stairs.

juan

The doors on outside of the breezeways and the door by the restrooms at the character spot lead right down to the tunnels. I think all of the other entrances are backstage or within a ride/shop/restaurant.

I didn't find them as busy as MKs, but entertainment and Electric Umbrella (their breakroom is downstairs) use them quite a bit.

Tom

Beta Return
Nope. Just the one by Energy. There is a difference in grade on that side, allowing for direct tunnel access.
I once went into the lower level of the Body Wars sim bay, and I don't remember any stairs.

I was also in Body Wars once...part of the Backstage Magic tour, back when it was really good. Pre-9/11 we got to go into DACS and even watched them run the 3:00 parade from the Parade Control Room. I would pay just about anything for a tour that went in there again - so cool.

The doors on outside of the breezeways and the door by the restrooms at the character spot lead right down to the tunnels. I think all of the other entrances are backstage or within a ride/shop/restaurant.

I didn't find them as busy as MKs, but entertainment and Electric Umbrella (their breakroom is downstairs) use them quite a bit.

I remember from LONG ago that show somewhere in Innoventions (Communicore) where you sat in a theater-like room and looked through a window into a computer room. A woman was projected on the glass (a la Pepper's Ghost) and narrated. Was that Epcot's actual computer/control room, and was it down in the tunnel? We did it once, and I was very young, so I only have extremely fuzzy memories.

Rob562

I remember from LONG ago that show somewhere in Innoventions (Communicore) where you sat in a theater-like room and looked through a window into a computer room. A woman was projected on the glass (a la Pepper's Ghost) and narrated. Was that Epcot's actual computer/control room, and was it down in the tunnel? We did it once, and I was very young, so I only have extremely fuzzy memories.

That was the Backstage Magic show, which replaced the original, short-lived Astuter Computer show. That did show the real central computer room for the park, which was on the bottom level of Communicore East.

I believe you can see this in Martin's Communicore tribute video.

(EDIT)
Fast forward to the 44-minute mark:

-Rob

rsoxguy

May I chime in with inane ramblings? I don't know if I find it funnier that a useless thread has been resurrected after ten years, or that banned members have received 'likes' since the aforementioned resurrection. Next thing you know we'll be debating corn production at a princess meet and greet with the hopes that Pixar produces a film about Horizons which eventually leads to the rebuilding of the attraction with Nestle as the sponsor. There, I'm done.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
The Backstage Magic area is behind the Guest Relations desk in Communicore East. I took a peek on the Undiscovered Future World tour last year (after I asked our guide about it).

Alektronic

That was the Backstage Magic show, which replaced the original, short-lived Astuter Computer show. That did show the real central computer room for the park, which was on the bottom level of Communicore East.

I believe you can see this in Martin's Communicore tribute video.

(EDIT)
Fast forward to the 44-minute mark:

-Rob

The Computer Central is actually on 2nd floor or if you consider the tunnel the basement then it would be the 1st floor

scottnj1966

What a very interesting and long running thread.
Maybe one day someone will get their hands on actual blueprints of the construction of the Magic Kingdom and finally put to rest these questions. I for one would love to have a set of them, but imagine how many pages there would be. Thousands and thousands.

MarkTwain

I love his book. Books like these should be a mandatory read for people.. and just boggles the mind in what they completed in just months vs what the company gears up to do now.

In fairness, If I were working on ANY construction project that looked like EPCOT Center three months before its opening, I would be crying myself to sleep at night. I can't believe they even attempted a timeframe that tight, much less pulled it off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom