TTA Refurbishment on schedule?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

I prefer the new audio.

Also, I prefer the blue and white painting scheme better..... Orange just feels kinda blehk and looks like it would make you think more about the heat in Florida /:

Last edited:

rct247

The Astro Orbiter gantries have started their transformation from green to orange. Astro Orbiter's refurb got extended by a week. TTA is actually set to return on time apparently, but I don't believe it.

Sped2424

The Astro Orbiter gantries have started their transformation from green to orange. Astro Orbiter's refurb got extended by a week. TTA is actually set to return on time apparently, but I don't believe it.
Strange that the TTA would return before orbiter, but they are independent of one another so I suppose that's why.

startraveler

I know not this go around, but any chance this ride could ever be made wheelchair friendly. Now you have to be "ambulatory" to ride according to the literature. Used to really enjoy this in the afternoon when my parents could carry me up the ramp. Even carried my wheelchair up and put it in a car back then. :)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I would love them to do DL's Ghost Galaxy's projection on the Mountain..

I just happened to be able to visit DL and DCA for one day before a 2-week Disney Hawaii cruise and I got to experience the ghost coaster at Space Mountain!!!

THIS was AWESOME!!! It was freaking scary as DOOKIE!! Why the HECK does MK not DO THIS!?!?

Same with the Nightmare overlay for Haunted Mansion and the seasonal shows for country bears..

Cmdr_Crimson

I just happened to be able to visit DL and DCA for one day before a 2-week Disney Hawaii cruise and I got to experience the ghost coaster at Space Mountain!!!

THIS was AWESOME!!! It was freaking scary as DOOKIE!! Why the HECK does MK not DO THIS!?!?

Same with the Nightmare overlay for Haunted Mansion and the seasonal shows for country bears..

Simple...
mickey-dollar-eyes.jpg

rct247

TTA will never be ADA accessible. The ramps are too steep and to make them up to ADA standards would nearly reach COP. The evac routes are not wide enough and there are no elevators also along the evac route. The trains cannot be made wheelchair accessible because it would change the weight of thr train and may travel slower or faster on the track. The ride speed cannot be slowed or stopped in the station without affecting the entire ride. Assuming there was a wheelchair accessible vehicle, there would likely be only two available resulting in a 5 min wait between ADA vehicle. The station also doesnt have room to store wheelchairs if they have to trnasfer.

TTA is grandfathered in and to make ADA accessible they would have to significantly alter every building in Tomorrowland.

CDavid

I know not this go around, but any chance this ride could ever be made wheelchair friendly. Now you have to be "ambulatory" to ride according to the literature. Used to really enjoy this in the afternoon when my parents could carry me up the ramp. Even carried my wheelchair up and put it in a car back then. :)

TTA will never be ADA accessible. The ramps are too steep and to make them up to ADA standards would nearly reach COP. The evac routes are not wide enough and there are no elevators also along the evac route. The trains cannot be made wheelchair accessible because it would change the weight of thr train and may travel slower or faster on the track. The ride speed cannot be slowed or stopped in the station without affecting the entire ride. Assuming there was a wheelchair accessible vehicle, there would likely be only two available resulting in a 5 min wait between ADA vehicle. The station also doesnt have room to store wheelchairs if they have to trnasfer.

TTA is grandfathered in and to make ADA accessible they would have to significantly alter every building in Tomorrowland.

Making the PeopleMover more accessible really wouldn't be any more difficult than the procedures in place for attractions such as Spaceship Earth, where the ride vehicle loads from a rotating platform and the attraction must be stopped periodically to allow guests with mobility impairments to transfer to a standard ride vehicle. Ramps are not an issue because wheelchairs would access the platform via elevator.

Train weight could not possibly be an issue with wheelchair accessibility; You already have some trains which are heavier (or lighter) than others, just depending on the (widely) varying weights of the passengers on board. What is open to question is now easily a ride vehicle may be modified to carry (and load) a wheelchair, but the option to permit guests to transfer would be simpler to implement. The only real issue, perhaps, would again be the need to completely stop the attraction several times per hour (at least) to load guests with mobility impairments, but even that is routinely done at other attractions already.

MaryJaneP

One of the ADA issues that seems presently insurmountable is the lack of evac possibilities along the track, not just in station. Too much $ and too many structural changes needed in many buildings to make this a reality. Not sure how they get away with this in PPF or IASW, but please do not take away TTA.

GymLeaderPhil

Making the PeopleMover more accessible really wouldn't be any more difficult than the procedures in place for attractions such as Spaceship Earth, where the ride vehicle loads from a rotating platform and the attraction must be stopped periodically to allow guests with mobility impairments to transfer to a standard ride vehicle. Ramps are not an issue because wheelchairs would access the platform via elevator.
No.

Spaceship Earth's vehicles, like other omnimover type attractions, are hooked together. TTA vehicles are independent much like a roller coaster. If trains come to close to one another it causes problems.

When the PeopleMover stops the vehicles slowly reverse backwards before stopping. When ride motion can resume the vehicles are propelled forward using the linear induction motors spaced throughout the track. In some circumstances a train might have stopped in an area that has multiple motors that aren't working so it takes longer for the train to advance. The ride control system is supposed to detect if a vehicle up ahead is too close and then it triggers the motors for the train following to turn off to prevent them from bumping until there's proper spacing. If it doesn't catch it in time and the trains hit the shock absorbing bumpers in front and back then the ride has to stop again and most likely will result in a lengthy downtime.

In the event of that downtime Guests are walked off by Cast Members on a narrow walkway on both sides of the track to one of three staircases or back to the station to exit, whatever is closer. Spaceship Earth has an elevator that runs from the base to the top of the geodesic sphere to aid in exiting Guests with disabilities.

So to reply to your theory, currently the PeopleMover is not designed for frequently stopping, the track is too narrow for wheelchairs, and there's no elevator/wheelchair lift access in place. Adding those elements is cost prohibited and logistically challenging as the PeopleMover goes through five other attractions, a shop, and along side other elements. It will likely never be ADA accessible.

Kuzcotopia

Original Poster
One thing you could say Magic Kingdom has done better than Disneyland, we still have our PeopleMover. It's not the best ride ever but I can't imagine Tomorrowland without it.

It's the one ride outside of Prince Charming's Carousel that you can ride with virtually no wait, regardless of what time of day or what time of year you arrive. It's also one of the only rides I remember from my trip when I was 5 years old.

I really want the refurb to end on Monday, on schedule. The start was pushed back twice, and I was afraid the end would be pushed back to cross into our vacation starting August 9th. It looked like we should be good to go. I would accept almost any other ride on Disney property to be shut down for our entire trip, whether it was TOT, Splash, even Cinderella Castle dismantled (for some reason) . . . and I would have a great time anyway.

This ride being closed is about the only thing that would truly disappoint me. . . still waiting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom