Tropical Storm Faye...

The Mom

Premium Member
They have just closed public schools in Duval County (NE Florida) tomorrow and Thursday as the storm is predicted to INCREASE before it hits us. :eek:

dandaman

^^^ Yeah, this is quite an odd one. (The storm, not you. :lookaroun) The NWS model now shows it changing to hurricane status almost immediately as it travels briefly back over the Atlantic.

copcarguyp71

^There's been tornado warnings all along the Space Coast

SpaceGhost.gif

wait...I thought you said...oh never mind!

Rabflmom

So far it has just been breezy with occasional gusts and rainy here in southern Kissimmee. I hope people over in Brevard County are ok, they seem to be getting the brunt of the bad weather, with a confirmed tornado touchdown.

We did have a tornado touch down in Barefoot Bay and 61 homes were damaged. They said only a couple minor injuries. They had to close I-95 up by Cocoa earlier tonight because of the heavy rain in the construction area.

We have a lot of flooding throughout Brevard County. I think I saw that most of us have gotten about 6 inches of rain so far and the worst is yet to come. When it hits the ocean they think it will become a hurricane and then curve back into the state near Jacksonville-hopefully we may see the sun on Friday????

This has been a weird storm---never heard of one increasing over land.

wdwjmp239

Tropical Storm Fay is more of a rainmaker than anything else. Bring an umbrella and rain gear.

We just had TS Fay this morning in Naples, FL - since then it's been clearing out nicely down here.

wdwjmp239

We did have a tornado touch down in Barefoot Bay and 61 homes were damaged. They said only a couple minor injuries. They had to close I-95 up by Cocoa earlier tonight because of the heavy rain in the construction area.

We have a lot of flooding throughout Brevard County. I think I saw that most of us have gotten about 6 inches of rain so far and the worst is yet to come. When it hits the ocean they think it will become a hurricane and then curve back into the state near Jacksonville-hopefully we may see the sun on Friday????

This has been a weird storm---never heard of one increasing over land.

We had a couple of tornados spin up in Collier County, but luckily, they spun up over uninhabited areas of the county.

Tracking tornados in tropical systems like this is hard to forecast because they spin up so quickly. As quick as they develop and the warnings get out, the twister can be gone just like that.

The only thing I can think of that contributed to the possibility of its strengthening over land is that at around 1pm Eastern Time - the center of Tropical Storm Fay actually was over Lake Okeechobee which is a pretty warm water source. Outside of that, I have no idea why it maintained its strength overland. Some meteorologists will agree (I'm just a hobbyist) that when storms come ashore in South Florida that they won't die off quickly because of: 1) The Everglades (one huge warm water basin) and 2) The terrain down here is flatter than a pancake.

Tropical Storm Fay was a weird storm to predict. I had this storm hugging the west coast of Florida and making a turn into Sarasota, FL. I was waaaaaaaaay off. Ugh!

wdwjmp239

Just checked TWC and Tampa is looking good but Orlando should get hit pretty hard.
Interestingly, Fay is getting stronger as she crosses land , which means more chance
of tornado's.
Hopefully someone from Orlando will post with a better perspective.

There's always going to be that chance of a tornado if it's overland or not. The thing is, they spin up too quick to detect and dish out any warnings.

Rabflmom

There's always going to be that chance of a tornado if it's overland or not. The thing is, they spin up too quick to detect and dish out any warnings.

Disney area has had it pretty easy with this storm. Very little rain or wind yesterday. My son works in a water park and they worked all day.

Now here in Brevard County ----think afternoon shower that started in the morning yesterday and just never quit. There hasn't been thunder and lightning and the winds probably haven't even been as intense as a typical summer thunder storm; but we have gotten about 8 inches of rain at least. We have flooded streets and yards, but haven't heard about many houses flooding, but probably happening in low lying areas or where
drains (?) are clogged.

I think I heard that Port Canaveral was closed so it may effect arrivals and departures there.

The tornado yesterday down in Barefoot Bay damaged 50 or so houses. Electricity has been out for about 5000-9000 homes in the county, but ours has not had problems. Didn't lose cable either but some satellite systems are not getting signals through the heavy rain so some homes are without TV.

Orlando may be effected more depending on where the storm turns after it gets out in the Atlantic. There are something like 20 models with some having it curve down and even exit in the Gulf over by Tampa instead of going up into GA. No one knows what this weird storm will really do when it hits the water. Chapter 3 tomorrow, I guess.

Oh, yeah, for Dandaman . Yesterday FIT stayed open and a lot of cars had to be towed out of the parking lots because they all flooded

ntn_haqqer: we had this one figured wrong, too. The swell maps had the wave swells higher in the North Gulf/pan handle area and it is usually right on. It was more like the early NoGaps prediction so we thought it would stay west, too.

dandaman

^ Wow... glad now we decided not to go yesterday; sounds like our rental car would have turned into a rental pool. :lol:

SeaBreeze

I could be wrong but I think the poster was trying to say that since the storm had gotten stronger, there was a possibility of more tornadoes. :shrug:

dandaman

Fay is currently stationary and centered about 10-15 miles off the coast. Melbourne and surrounding area have already received as much as 2 feet of rain in some places, with 5-10 more inches expected to fall within the next 24 hours.

...Needless to say, I'm a bit worried that our FIT tour will be cancelled altogether. :(

Rabflmom

Fay is currently stationary and centered about 10-15 miles off the coast. Melbourne and surrounding area have already received as much as 2 feet of rain in some places, with 5-10 more inches expected to fall within the next 24 hours.

...Needless to say, I'm a bit worried that our FIT tour will be cancelled altogether. :(

Were you planning to fly into Melbourne, International? The airport ended up closing today.

Local news just said some areas could end up with 24 to 36 inches of rain from this, hope that is way inflated! LOL I figure we already haver had 15-20 inches of rain here at my house.

dandaman

^Nah, we're flying (tentatively!) into MCO tomorrow evening. USA3000 actually flies to Melbourne, though I'm not sure if there are direct flights from Detroit. (We've been flying into St. Petersburg for the past year or so due to my sister's college, and they've served us quite well!)

Now it's an all-new airline (Spirit) and a storm and flooding to add to the foray...

golittleperson

My husband and I were at PO-Riverside in June 06 when TS Alberto came through with drenching rains. We spent the greater part of the day in the lobby outside the bar reading, playing cards, etc. Since we were in WDW for 10 days, this gave us a great mid-trip break. The next day the sky was crystal clear, no clouds anywhere.

It's a Small World, no pun intended. My kids and I were at PO-FQ in June 06 when TS Alberto came through, we liked it. It made for the perfect poncho day at Epcot exploring the worlds. Umbrellas in hand and no crowd. Made for a nice break - hope Fay is that kind to those there now!

DisneyWhiz

We left right before the storm hit. Our flight was at 1:20 and all flight after 2:00 were cancelled...

The last day we were there, we were at Typhoon Lagoon and it started raining CRAZY hard. But nobody really cared until there was a really really loud boom of thunder. then, everyone in the wave pool started running out for their lives..it really was a sight....

Then, about 15 min. later, it was sunny again :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom