Tropical Storm Faye...

palmage

it wont be a direct hit... but the track looks like she will indirectly cross over as a TS
It'll come close, but the worst weather will be on the east side of the storm.

Funny Pinellas County EOC is still doing a "Mandatory Evacuation" for me at 6:00AM tomorrow:shrug:

dandaman

As of 5:00 PM, the projected track now indicates landfall at Port Charlotte, passing directly between Tampa and Orlando (straight through Lakeland), and through Jacksonville, albeit much weaker at that time. It will then straddle the Georgia beachfront until it makes a turn inland and should lose its named status about when it reaches North Carolina. :wave:

EDIT: Also, based on that "in-between" track, WDW may get full effect due to its location on the upper right quadrant of the storm. Stay safe out there, folks!

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Update FROM Disney

disneybanner.gif
flashbanner.gif
07footer_line.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

[FONT=helvetica,arial,verdana]Florida-Based Disney Destinations
Tropical Weather Update
[/FONT]

Monday, August 18, 2008

[FONT=helvetica,arial,verdana]Walt Disney World Resort[/FONT]

The Walt Disney World® Resort continues to monitor the progress of Tropical Storm Fay. Recent forecasts indicate that there likely will be rain and wind conditions that may affect operations as early as Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 19, 2008. At this time, the Walt Disney World Resort will be open and operating as usual. Additionally, to ensure our Guests have opportunities to enjoy our Parks and Downtown Disney® Area offerings, we will open early as follows:
  • All four Theme Parks will open at 8:00 a.m. on Aug. 19
  • DisneyQuest® Indoor Interactive Theme Park will open at 9:00 a.m. on Aug. 19
  • AMC Theatres will open at 10:00 a.m. on Aug. 19
We will announce additional changes to our operations if the storm's direction and intensity make it necessary to do so.

[FONT=helvetica,arial,verdana]Disney Cruise Line

The Disney Cruise Line® continues to monitor the progress of Tropical Storm Fay. At this time, there are no changes to the operations or itineraries.

The Aug. 21, 2008, sailing of the Disney Wonder® will sail as scheduled from Port Canaveral.

The safety and security of our Guests is always our top priority. If necessary, our Captains are always prepared to alter the ships' course or itinerary to navigate away from inclement weather.

©Disney[/FONT]

Rabflmom

I survived hurricane Charley and it's not to be taken lightly everyone. It was very scary and not fun. And not having any power or gas for a week wasn't cool. :mad:If your a visitor to central Florida just be careful ,and stay indoors. International Dr. took a bad hit during Charley with down power lines and trees. Disney, Sea world and Universal also had some damage. I hope Fay just goes some where else. I guess there is a price to pay for living in paradise.
>>>>>>

On the East coast here, so we made it through Francis and Jeanne that year. It definitely is no fun dealing with insurance and trying to find building materials and contractors to do repairs when there is damage.

Unfortunately we live in the area that burned back in May so we had days with no electricity already this year. No power here means no water because the pump runs on electricity. We ended up buying a generator so we could at least take a shower . So we finally have a generator. The scary thing now is the price of gas to run it. A friend of mine told me that they spent $800 on gas after Jeanne hit here to run theirs.

benji

>>>>>>

On the East coast here, so we made it through Francis and Jeanne that year. It definitely is no fun dealing with insurance and trying to find building materials and contractors to do repairs when there is damage.

Unfortunately we live in the area that burned back in May so we had days with no electricity already this year. No power here means no water because the pump runs on electricity. We ended up buying a generator so we could at least take a shower . So we finally have a generator. The scary thing now is the price of gas to run it. A friend of mine told me that they spent $800 on gas after Jeanne hit here to run theirs.
Yes, the generators burn fuel really quickly. We only filled up one gas can for this storm. I don't think the gas stations will run out of gas like in years past, it's just to much money to fill up.

knights87

Where I am at, Just east of Lake okeechobee, it is not that bad right now just some light rain and wind. they said it will get worse tomorrow early morning, but nothing too bad.

DDuckFan130

It'll come close, but the worst weather will be on the east side of the storm.
Funny Pinellas County EOC is still doing a "Mandatory Evacuation" for me at 6:00AM tomorrow:shrug:
It's been raining here all day :lol:

I've been through the bad (Andrew and Wilma) and the jokes (Ernesto is the last I remember). Our attitude is still the same, and it's not a doom and gloom one. Sure, we prepare thoroughly...we have our batteries, shutters, and generator ready for whatever (and still haven't had a chance to use them :ROFLOL: ). But I think I'd die if I lay in bed in fear of any hurricane. Maybe I've been jaded by them, but eh you gotta take them as they come. Compared to earthquakes and tornadoes, we have it easy because we can prepare.

:shrug:

Brother_Bean

How has it been in Florida today? I hope it’s not been too bad. I keep looking on the news and through the internet for updates, but just though id ask, I hope it hasn’t effected anyone to much.

lac628

It's currently passing about 1- 1 1/2 hrs south of me. It's not too bad at all. some wind and rain, but were lucked out so far. It's not over yet.

DisneyNut7578

You might want to contact your insurance company, as they might not be able to write a policy until the storm passes. I know I had that problem once with getting insurance on a storage unit; I had to go back and get it after one of the storms passed.

Yes, I work for FL largest insurer - There's a storm barrier ring around FL, and if a tropical storm or above crosses that barrier, no policies can be written or additional coverage written. Or else we'd have alot of agents scrambling to increase coverages.

dandaman

All right, technically the flight wasn't cancelled, but here's how it went down...

Got up at 3:30 this morning, dressed, breakfast, etc... meanwhile my dad was here on the computer tracking just how close to Cocoa Beach Fay would come (see: very, apparently) when he got an e-mail saying that basically any Floridian flight could be rescheduled at no extra charge. "Hurricane Busters Insurance Policy", I think they called it. Anyway, because our Embry-Riddle tour was cancelled for tomorrow, we really didn't figure we'd be able to do much for the next two to three days as it was. (I'd be getting video footage of the entire storm, but I digress. :lol: ) So, at 4:00 in the morning, he decided to call up Spirit and change the flight.

So now here I sit, about 60 hours before takeoff, moping around the house and doing absolutely nothing productive.

Vince3

Just checked TWC and Tampa is looking good but Orlando should get hit pretty hard.
Interestingly, Fay is getting stronger as she crosses land , which means more chance
of tornado's.
Hopefully someone from Orlando will post with a better perspective.

t3techcom18

Reporting live from near the Celebration area, bout 15-20 minutes from WDW...

So far, we had some rain bands come in yesterday and overnight, but nothing too dramatic. It's windy and not too cloudy, but no major major rain bands have come through during the daytime just yet. I would say it would probably be around 1 or 4 when it would start to finally ramp up. Radars are showing the major outer bands that are integral to Fay are starting to inch quite close to Orlando, but the effects still aren't here as of yet.

palmage

Reporting live from near the Celebration area, bout 15-20 minutes from WDW...

So far, we had some rain bands come in yesterday and overnight, but nothing too dramatic. It's windy and not too cloudy, but no major major rain bands have come through during the daytime just yet. I would say it would probably be around 1 or 4 when it would start to finally ramp up. Radars are showing the major outer bands that are integral to Fay are starting to inch quite close to Orlando, but the effects still aren't here as of yet.
Looks like it's going east of you now too.....

Rabflmom

All right, technically the flight wasn't cancelled, but here's how it went down...

Got up at 3:30 this morning, dressed, breakfast, etc... meanwhile my dad was here on the computer tracking just how close to Cocoa Beach Fay would come (see: very, apparently) when he got an e-mail saying that basically any Floridian flight could be rescheduled at no extra charge. "Hurricane Busters Insurance Policy", I think they called it. Anyway, because our Embry-Riddle tour was cancelled for tomorrow, we really didn't figure we'd be able to do much for the next two to three days as it was. (I'd be getting video footage of the entire storm, but I digress. :lol: ) So, at 4:00 in the morning, he decided to call up Spirit and change the flight.

So now here I sit, about 60 hours before takeoff, moping around the house and doing absolutely nothing productive.

Here's the local paper.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

They have a web cam of the Cocoa Beach pier on it right now so you might want to look at what CB looks like right now when the storm is still down by Lake Okeechobee. It has been raining since I got up at 6AM and it is getting pretty gusty. Latest they are saying is that it is going to exit the state through Brevard County and still have 50 mph sustained winds. That is amazing that they will be that strong since it was only 60 mph out in the Gulf and it will be over land so long before it gets here. This is basically just a typical afternoon summer rainstorm that just won't quit in 20 minutes with a chance of water spouts or tornados forming as it approaches. Not much lightning with it either.

FIT stayed open today, too. Rest of the schools are closed.

dandaman

^There's been tornado warnings all along the Space Coast (from Melbourne to Daytona at least) all day. Currently, Brevard's under the warning with a good chance that Cocoa Beach will soon follow.

...Out of my family, I might be the only one that still wants to be down there right now. :lookaroun

Also interesting about FIT. We called yesterday immediately after Embry-Riddle cancelled just to see if they's follow suit. I believe they said, "There are no current plans to evacuate the Melbourne area," though I assumed that "current" would mean "very soon". :lol:

knights87

we had a tornado touch down where I live early this morning, it destroyed a gas station and a building next to it. there is a lot of flooding here, the road in front of my house it under 5" of water. Just hope everyone on here that was affected is staying safe and did not sustain any damage.

TTATraveler

we had a tornado touch down where I live early this morning, it destroyed a gas station and a building next to it. there is a lot of flooding here, the road in front of my house it under 5" of water. Just hope everyone on here that was affected is staying safe and did not sustain any damage.

So far it has just been breezy with occasional gusts and rainy here in southern Kissimmee. I hope people over in Brevard County are ok, they seem to be getting the brunt of the bad weather, with a confirmed tornado touchdown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom