trip report

dopey

Original Poster
got back late wednesday. here's what i remember:

day one: sunday.

didja know you can get a complete steak dinner with tortillas, a quesadilla, rice and beans at lalo's in midway airport for just $7? best meal of the trip. i know it's not disney, but it was part of my trip, so sue me.

landed at orlando int'l. around 9 p.m. the plane, a 757, was full. there was a steady rain, which i expected. the local tv weatherman said there'd be rain all 3 days i was there. bummer. but the wife packed ponchos she bought at the dollar store. don't know how much ponchos cost in the world, but i'm sure it ain't cheaper than 2 for $1.

stayed at the courtyard by marriott in the village. nice view of downtown disney. saw a commercial for animal kingdom where people kept saying it's "natazu." i know that means "it's not a zoo," but does it also mean something in an african language? anybody know?

day two: monday.

this was fun. i knew, thanks to this site, that epcot was opening at 10 stedda 9. but i'm an anxious type, so we got there at around 8:30, much to my wife's chagrin. talked to a cast member who said he didn't know of the new hours until 6 that morning when his supervisor called. they let us in at 9, so we had lots of time to take pictures. i don't think it was a waste of time cuz we met a lot of nice people, both guests and cast members.

when the rope dropped at 10, we followed the herd toward test track. when we got there, two cast members were shouting that it was down for the day. they directed people to keep moving toward the universe of energy. but having no desire to see elllen, we turned around and headed to "honey, i shrunk the audience." but that area was blocked off till 11. we headed to spaceship earth, wondering whether it'd be open and operational. it was. whoopie!

got around to the "honey" show eventually. it was my first time seeing it (the kids don't dig 3-d). that show was hilarious! loved the mice part. it was the hardest i laughed all trip.

moved on to world showcase, which had a food & wine fest. i recommend the passion fruit wine from ecuador and the ice wine from canada. the cheddar cheese soup from canada was delicious too. i ate and drank much more, but it's all a blur after that.

it started to rain heavily as we were going in to see the american adventure. lots of sniffling going on in that place. rain stopped by the time we got out. saw barrage, the fiddle group. those kids rocked! if you get the chance to see them, do. they're not to be missed.

toured the rest of world showcase, blah, blah, blah. got a good seat for illuminations by the fountain on the lagoon in front of italy. again, that's something i hadn't seen in awhile cuz the kids don't like fireworks. that is the best damn fireworks show i've ever seen in my entire life. spectacular.

heard the "wayla, wayla" song from the parade enough times to last a lifetime. i think they play it over and over so people leave the park faster, sort of like how they play sinatra at the end of motley crue concerts (i like 'em both, so it don't bother me none). we stayed longer anyway to buy pins.

i'll reply here with days three and four.

dopey

Original Poster
day three: tuesday.

hit rock 'n' rollercoaster three times straight with no wait. coulda kept going, but wife actually wanted to eat breakfast. something about being nauseous. big baby. worst part of the trip: the coffee machines at starring rolls were broken! augh! i asked the cast member if i could suck on the used coffee filters. she thought i was joking. test track i can live without. but no coffee?!!! now i was feeling nauseous. went on tower of terror. again, no wait. thank god the coffee cart was there at the exit. mmmmm. hot, sweet coffee. now i was "normal" again.

other highlights: the walt exhibit. really, really good. gives you an even greater appreciation for the man. the animation tour was also surprisingly good. i detest most behind-the-scenes tours because i really don't care how movies are made. the process is boring unless you're part of it. even then.... but the animation tour was fun.

everybody always has to mention the hat, so i suppose i should too. i think it's a big hat.

did i say not having coffee was the worst part? i take that back. the worst part of the trip was fantasmic! this was my first time seeing it and i couldn't have been more disappointed. i know some people love it, but i thought it was the biggest waste of my time and disney resources. basically, they take the same clips they use in other attractions and splice them together in what is the weakest plot imaginable and then project it onto three walls of water. it's neat for 2 minutes. max. in the tv commercials, the dragon spews a column of fire into the water. in the actual show, the dragon basically hocks a loogie into the lagoon. lame-o!

day four: wednesday.

a sad, sad day. last day at disney world. hit the magic kingdom. space mtn. was operating at half capacity. still, only a 20 minute wait (we took our time getting there). saw the et encounter for the first time. not a very disney attraction. too frightening for kids and too cheesey for adults imho. saw everything we wanted to see and more, including lance and joey from n'sync (that was the and more part), who were grand marshalls in the parade. it was easy to get a spot cuz all the girls left after the boys passed.

funniest thing i saw at the parade: one of the fairy godmothers accidentally pulled a boy out to dance for the princess bit. i told this friendly guy next to me that the kid would either be scarred for life or end up as a disney cast member.

rained lightly for 5 minutes as we pulled into toontown on the wdrr. good chance to chat with another cast member. ended the day at toontown taking pictures with the characters. no wait whatsoever. even took a group shot with pooh, tigger, eeyore and piglet.

left orlando on a half-empty 757 to chicago. went from hot and steamy to cold and windy. temps in chicago: 10 degrees with the wind chill. and me in my shorts and mickey t-shirt. that was one long wait -- only 5 minutes really -- for the shuttle to the parking lot.

all in all, a really nice trip.

mickeyfan

Dopey,
Glad you had a wonderful time, I'm just envious that you were there and not me. Wish I could have been there to see Lance and Joey. I never see anyone famous when I am there. Poor timing I guess or they all seem to know when I am coming. I am happy though that you were the one returning to 10 degree temps. Being a Florida native my blood is way to thin for that kind of cold. I freeze when it gets below 70. (j/k):D

Glad you made it home safely!!

Tink

I've been waiting for this report! Sounds like you had a blast. I can't wait to go (I leave for WDW in less than 9 weeks... :D ).

Didya get to check out the wine tasting seminar? I'm guessing probably not - by the sound of it, it sounds like you were pretty busy and the seminar thingy lasts like 45 minutes. Now I'm thirsty...

Happy to hear you had fun! :sohappy:

dopey

Original Poster
mickeyfan, if i could i would gladly trade my lance and joey sightings to you in exchange for one of the nobodies you've seen. just to make you happy, my dear.

it was kinda funny. we had lunch at liberty tree tavern just so we could be right there for the parade (the turkey ain't bad either). all the ladies -- and a couple guys -- who worked at the restaurant were on the porch waiting for the boys to pass. even this one old gal was all twitterpated. i think she could have given them a good run for their money.

tink, my friend in wine and spirits, i didn't go to the seminar because i know all i need to know about wine: open bottle and pour. i ain't too picky, though i prefer a strong wine, like a merlot or margeaux. there were good crowds for the seminars, though. i think you can make reservations.

thanks again, tink, for the tip on the ice wine from the great white north. it was good. do try the passion fruit wine from ecuador when you go. i liked it a lot. i do wish i was able to sample more wines while there, but it gets expensive.

however, i was doing some research yesterday and found out that prices for premium wines have been and will continue to come down mainly because of a glut of grapes. this don't help none at disney, where they'll charge you $5 a glass just cuz you're a captive audience, but it's a good time to stock up at home. i wish i were drunk now.

Flower

Dopey-

Thanks for the great description of Fantasmic! I needed a laugh this morning and your story gave me a big one! A loogie in the lagoon - soooo funny!

I'm going to see the show myself next Weds. I can't wait to see it! Spit-to-eeee!:D

dopey

Original Poster
flower, i made a point of watching when the stadium finally filled. i guess i was just jealous that other people got there much later than i did.

anyway, though disney recommends you get there 2 hours early, the stadium did not fill up until a half hour before the 7:30 show started. you'll be sitting on the far sides, but you should still be able to see the loogie in the lagoon. :) and really, isn't that the highlight?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom