Triceratops Encounter

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
Just thought I'd vent a little. We just got back from our vacation to Florida in which we not only did Disney, but also did Universal and IoA too. (For the first time) Well, lemme tell ya, if you've got a kid, do NOT do the Triceratops encounter at Jurassic Park. They may be upset. My 2 year old brother loves Dinosaurs, so naturaly, he wanted to pet the animatronic dinosaur. Well, when they employee (Trainer) asked for volunteers to pet it, she said the had to be as tall as the brown poles on the fence around it. Well, my little brother was nowhere near tall enough so he was mad. Sheesh... tall as the brown poles... like it's gonna attack the kid... the freakin' thing's bolted to the floor... geez. (We're never doing Universal again, they don't come anywhere NEAR close to Disney in friendliness and quality.) The only place in the two parks that you can get a freakin' kid's meal is Suess Landing and the only thing there is pizza. We payed 40 bucks for hamburgers and fries at the studios (Universal, not MGM) and that didn't even include anything for my brother because they didn't have anything (No, not even a child's drink) Universal is NOT a child friendly place... lemme tell ya... sheesh...

NowInc

I hear that a LOT...that just proove what I have always said...all the rides in the world...all the themeing in the world...doesnt make a difference if you cant please everyone...

Tom Morrow

Well don't act like Islands of Adventure is a horrible park just because of that one incident. Theres a good reason for that gate, and I suspect that Disney would have the same policy if they ran Triceretops Encounter. IoA isn't up to Disney's standards, but its far from a horrible park. Its one of the best, actually.

Luau Cove

IoA is great, I know many of you never visited a park out of U.S.A and know what it is to be in a park that really stinks.
-->LUAU

orlpassholder

my only beef with IOA is I did the entire park in 6 hours and only skipped 2 rides cause I wasnt interested. 50 bucks for 6 hours D*** that hurts. The food is a little expensive but Disney's can be too BUT Disney does offer a selection I feel.. Plus IOA/Universal are still "young" parks per say they do not have the heritage to back them like WDW does.

FYI The Cat in the Hat ride makes me sick :hurl: how many times do you have to spin around in that thing anyways ;)

woofboy111

Originally posted by DLMAGICDARREN
What is Triceratops encounter? I've never heard of this attraction.

Triceratops encounter is the old name for what is now Triceratop Discovery Trail. Basically, you walk though and see a animatronic tricertops with a "trainer" talking about it. A waste in my opinion, which must be lots of peoples opinion since it's rarely open most of the time (maybe that's why they changed the name too.).

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
Well, with the whole paying too much for food thing. Lemme tell you why this was a problem.

We payed over 40 bucks for burgers and fries at the earthquake place. This was for 3 meals, and didn't include anything for my little brother because they didn't HAVE anything (We had to share our food with him, he didn't even get anything to drink, because they didn't even have kid's drinks, not even juice containers). Whereas, at Epcot we ate at the Electric Umbrella and got the same thing (Burgers and fries) only this time we got a kid's meal and a drink for my little brother along with everyone else's food. and we only paid $32 dollars for it. Tell me what is wrong with that picture?

Rider

I think the reason for the poles is that the Dinosaur is back far from the gate and you have to be tall enough to reach it.

Im going in a few days and will ask what the reason is.

As for food... all parks overcharge. Even Disney's lower prices dont match off-site in terms of price and quality.

Cedar Point charges $3 for a bottle of water.

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
Hmmm... I thought our meal at Disney was much better in quality and quantity. We got more food, AND there was a salad bar of sorts, so we got even more food then we ordered. And if the poles are so you can reach it, why don't they just put a gate there and let the kids go in WITH it? It's not like it's going to attack them, half of it (With the exeception of its back leg) is bolted to the floor.

woofboy111

Food at Universal varies. When I eat there, sometimes it's really good (still lots of money, but at least it's decent food for the money), but other times it is really really bad with tiny portions.

I wouldn't say that it cost more than disney. They are probably about the same price, with some things less and others more.

I was very disappointed with Triceratops Encounter when I went. We walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked through that queue (nobody was in line), and when we got to the animatronic we were very underwhelmed. It wasn't much better than the Dinomation animatronics that were at my local zoo a few years back. I thought it was aimed more for kids, but from the earlier post I guess not.

ToTBellHop

I certainly wasn't impressed...an entire attraction out of one animatronic seems dumb to me...with the queue they built, you'd think there would be a herd of Triceratops and you'd get to ride them...

Rider

Im still in FL now but I just want to say I talked with someone who worked at Tri and he said that there is no limit on height but if they are too short they cannot be lifted or stand on the gates because the Tri can push down with a pressure of 2,500 lbs. and if some kid fell in and got in the way......

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
Originally posted by Rider
Im still in FL now but I just want to say I talked with someone who worked at Tri and he said that there is no limit on height but if they are too short they cannot be lifted or stand on the gates because the Tri can push down with a pressure of 2,500 lbs. and if some kid fell in and got in the way......

Wel what idiot at Universal designed it so that it could kill the kids? I mean, think about it, it's a KID's attractions. Adults know that it's nothing more then a robot that you look at. Personally, I think the whole concept of this attraction is incredibly stupid. Of course, if it were at Disney, it would be wonderful... simply because it would be DIsney. ;) :) :D :lol:

Rider

Hydrolics (sp?) and robots and animatronics have a way of being very powerful. I'm just passing the info along (you asked why and I found out). I dont know why its like that. :cool:

I thinks its cool as most kids into Dinos (young kids) wouldn't know the difference if it was real or not.

Lome

I was also really disappointed with Triceratops Encounter... after waiting 30 min, we finally came in and the dinosaur broke down... the "cast members" didn't know what to do.. they took us out of the room telling us that the dinosaur had a strange reaction, and they made us wait for 15 more min... its wasn't worth the wait.

About the food, I also wagree that it's really expensive for what you get. Its not bad, but at Disney you get the same for a cheaper price ( and I'm not saying Disney is cheap eaither!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom