TRex - yay or nay

Twoprincesses116

Original Poster
going with 3 kids (ages 7,5 and 22 months)

Either people love it or hate it.

I am soo torn on this particular restaurant.

I will be at HS that morning so I am thinking do I really want to go to a very LOUD restaurant after spending time at the parks.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Why not maybe eat somewhere in HS if you will be there? There are many great TS restaurants there Mama Melrose, 50's, Sci Fi, Hollywood & Vine (not a fave if ours but great for the kiddos) character buffet, Hollywood Brown Derby, etc Now if they love dinosaurs then yes do T-Rex but if not I would skip it that's just my opinion. Just look at all menus and see what appeals to your family the most. ;)

aw14

Truly depends on what you want. The food was nothing to write home about. Its not bad by any means, but nothing special. However, the atmosphere is amazing and something my DD (13 at the time) absolutely loved. I would do it again just for the fun factor.

BraveGirl

We just did TRex for the first time our last trip. I was always a Rainforest Cafe girl. It was fun! But we sat at the bar to avoid the wait, which made it little quieter. I liked it because we could still see all the dinos, either from our table or when we walked through after. And the bar changes color, which my kids loved, and is under a giant octopus and in front of a big aquarium, also which my kids loved. If I was looking for quiet, I would not pick TRex though :)

If staying in HS for dinner is an option, I would totally go with Sci Fi or 50s!

Twoprincesses116

Original Poster
Why not eat somewhere in HS if you will be there? There are many great TS restaurants there Mama Melrose, 50's, Sci Fi, Hollywood & Vine (not a fave if ours but great for the kiddos) character buffet etc. Now if they love dinosaurs then yes do T-Rex but if not I would skip it that's just my opinion. Just look at all menus and see what appeals to your family the most. ;)

we will be having breakfast at H&V and I've never been to Disney Springs so we were going to go after HS. Trying to see if it's better to just do a CS at Disney Springs instead of TRex.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
we will be having breakfast at H&V and I've never been to Disney Springs so we were going to go after HS. Trying to see if it's better to just do a CS at Disney Springs instead of TRex.

They have many other great options in Disney Springs too. Raglan Road, Splitsville (could also bowl if you want), Homecoming, and many others all are kid friendly and may offer a quieter meal than T-Rex. For QS yes there is great options too in DS like D-Lixe burger, Wolfgang Express, Earl of Sandwich, Blaze Pizza etc. Again look at menus and see what appeals to you. ;)

becca_

Food is not the best ever, not the worst either. I agree with checking menus to see what everyone would be interested in. I will say, if the young kids are interested in dinosaurs at all I say go. I've been maybe 2-3 times and each time I have seen many little kids fascinated and so excited to be there. 22 month old may be frightened by the loud noises though.

Disney4family

We did it twice and the kids loved it. It's fun. Just like the thunderstorm at Rainforest, it gets louder with the meteor shower.
We sat in the ice cave once. It's pretty with the colored lights changing during the meteor shower.
The shop is fun. The kids made a build-a-dino both times.
My son loves dinos. We thought it was a great experience. No regrets.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/disney-springs/t-rex/
(they have reviews, the menu, pics)

carriebeth

I have one child who is really into dinosuars so we surprized him by going here our last Disney trip. I don't regret going at all. My dino loving kid was really happy to be there and all my other children enjoyed it as well. Its a fun place for kids. It is a bit noisy but its not like give you a headache noisy. The dinosaurs come alive during regular intervals and it gets noisier then not only from the dinosuar noises but the kids all around get excited too. One good thing is that the noise absorbs all your family's noise. My children were a bit extra hyped this particular day we were there. One knocked over their full glass, no one in the whole place ever heard it, noticed it etc. So it actually made it more relaxing for me...no need to worry that any noise my kids made would upset any one else around us.

The food wasn't like crazy good or gourmet or anything but the menu is extensive. Lots of choices and many of them are pretty different than a lot of the other food you will be choosing from while at Disney. The kids' menu is really large too. It was nice for them to have some choices they weren't getting at other places. The portions were very generous too.

I have seen people mention it might be too scary or noisy for little kids during the meteor showers. I had one who just turned a year old who was not disturbed at all by it. My 3 year old loved it. I would not think of it as a scary noisy at all. I actually looked around during one of the showers to see if kids were getting scared or upset by it knowing that was a complaint some had and I couldn't find a single child with a bad reaction...everyone was loving it. I would say if your child is tolerating the other noises at Disney especially things like fireworks, they will be perfectly fine.

Another plus for us was that there was a surprise rain downpour while we were eating. Once we finished we could hang out in the little shop attached to the restaurant and wait for the rest of the rain to finish. It worked out well.

Cosmic Commando

I agree that it's fun enough to make it worthwhile, but when I go back this coming trip, I think I'll try to avoid sitting in the ice cave section. The lighting situation there is a bit much for an entire meal, and I don't recall any moving dinos in that area.

Bacon

Nay! they are other stuff that's so MUCH better then T-REX! why not go to splitsville, boathouse or anything else besides rainforest and t-rex
don't waste money on restaurants you can go to almost anywhere

Phonedave

If your kids like dinos and don't mind loud backgroud noise, then it is worth the occassional trip

As others have said, the food is not anything amazing, but it is good. Suprisingly much better than the garbage they serve at Rainforest Cafe (same company, different theme). This is strictly a "go for the kids" type of place, but unlike some places, it is a a place I did not really mind going to when my kids wanted to.

-dave

Twoprincesses116

Original Poster
I have one child who is really into dinosuars so we surprized him by going here our last Disney trip. I don't regret going at all. My dino loving kid was really happy to be there and all my other children enjoyed it as well. Its a fun place for kids. It is a bit noisy but its not like give you a headache noisy. The dinosaurs come alive during regular intervals and it gets noisier then not only from the dinosuar noises but the kids all around get excited too. One good thing is that the noise absorbs all your family's noise. My children were a bit extra hyped this particular day we were there. One knocked over their full glass, no one in the whole place ever heard it, noticed it etc. So it actually made it more relaxing for me...no need to worry that any noise my kids made would upset any one else around us.

The food wasn't like crazy good or gourmet or anything but the menu is extensive. Lots of choices and many of them are pretty different than a lot of the other food you will be choosing from while at Disney. The kids' menu is really large too. It was nice for them to have some choices they weren't getting at other places. The portions were very generous too.

I have seen people mention it might be too scary or noisy for little kids during the meteor showers. I had one who just turned a year old who was not disturbed at all by it. My 3 year old loved it. I would not think of it as a scary noisy at all. I actually looked around during one of the showers to see if kids were getting scared or upset by it knowing that was a complaint some had and I couldn't find a single child with a bad reaction...everyone was loving it. I would say if your child is tolerating the other noises at Disney especially things like fireworks, they will be perfectly fine.

Another plus for us was that there was a surprise rain downpour while we were eating. Once we finished we could hang out in the little shop attached to the restaurant and wait for the rest of the rain to finish. It worked out well.

Thank you! Which part of the restaurant were you eating at?

WDW_Jon

Never too impressed with the food or service...
Good theming obviously but food similar to rainforest cafe and we always go for the Animal Kingdom option over the Disney springs one...

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
I will echo what most have said that the food is not worth writing home about. The placed is themed great for kids, but I will also recommend if you drink and like sweet drinks. Go in and walk up to the bar and try a cotton-tini. I love them.

Cosmic Commando

Nay! they are other stuff that's so MUCH better then T-REX! why not go to splitsville, boathouse or anything else besides rainforest and t-rex
don't waste money on restaurants you can go to almost anywhere
There's literally only one other T-Rex Cafe in the entire world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom