Trending blog post: "What it's really like working at Walt Disney World"

Phonedave

A lot of people who are great at their jobs at their current level get promoted because they are just that, great at their current jobs, but are not ready for a supervisory position or find they don't enjoy the extra pressure and responsibility, but do their best to float along in the position because they want to keep the higher pay.

Get a few layers of this and you have a recipe for disaster.

That being said, I am highly leery of first line employees who gripe about "bad management". Until you have done a management position, it's very difficult for most (not many, most) to understand everything that is factoring into the managers behavior and decision making. And, sometimes, it's not something the manager can (or should) share with you.

One of the many things I have encountered in business is "NASA's 100 rules for project managers". While I am not in the space program, have have managed more than my share of projects (and budgets, and finances). There are number of these 100 rules that I have hanging on my wall, that I find particularly important, not just for me as a manager, abut also for me as someone who is managed (my my boss). Among these rules are:

Rule #66: Don't assume you know why senior management has done something. If you feel you need to know, ask. You get some amazing answers that will astonish you.

Rule #68: Remember the boss has the right to make decisions. Even if you think they are wrong, tell the boss what you think but if he still wants it done his way; do it his way and do your best to make sure the outcome is successful.

Rule #69: Never ask management to make a decision that you can make. Assume you have the authority to make decisions unless you know there is a document that states unequivocally that you can't.

And, not that it pertains, but managing Engineering Process, having an Engineering title, and being trained as an Engineer, I have to remind myself of this on an almost daily basis

Rule #55: Over-engineering is common. Engineers like puzzles and mazes. Try to make them keep their designs simple.

I made a flow chart the other day for an executive presentation, and one commented that after going through it they felt like they just got off a roller coaster. I document the heck out of stuff sometimes. :)

-dave

CDavid

But your posts throughout these forums are moving more and more to negativity towards people who like Disney more than you. Who don't agree with your opinions about the changes. I agree that part of liking something is admitting downfalls but there is a difference between admitting downfalls and letting those downfalls control your over all opinions and your experiences. I am not there with you when you presumable still go to Disney but I would bet you don't have as much fun as you used to just like your posts are increasingly negative. So part of liking something and loving something is sometimes admitting when it is time to let go and move on

You shouldn't confuse negativity about the present-day Walt Disney Company with a lack of interest and appreciation of the company's legacy and creative success. Without a doubt, some of the most negative posters on these discussion boards also are the most interested in discussing varied aspects of the company. I can retain a (life-long) interest in Disney whilst also recognizing the (steep) decline in standards and short-sighted business practices we've seen in the past decade or so.

Why? So you can complain about ticket prices increasing and more unemployment? You can't mandate minimum wage folks. Well, you can, but the consequences will be real and much more damaging.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Mandating companies to pay certain wages simply does the following:

1) Makes things more expensive
2) Creates unemployment
3) Ships more jobs overseas
4) Reduction in benefits for existing employees
5) Reduction in hours of existing hourly employees
6) Only marginally increases the standard of living for the person earning the "higher" minimum wage, and if their hours are cut or they are laid off, ends up hurting the people it was intended to help.

I invite all people struggling with this to read Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman.

Has this actually been demonstrated in states and communities which have recently raised their minimum wage above the federally mandated $7.25? I've seen at least one study which suggests real gains for low-income workers from a minimum wage increase (though admittedly, I'm hardly an economic expert).

Don't like it? Find another job. Sorry, but that's life and it's not Disney or any other company's responsibility to pay you a wage that you feel is right. You have freedom and other options.

That's just the thing; Too often, workers become "stuck" in low-income positions, with few real, viable options.

Again, this is absolutely not just Disney.

Don't like evil corporations, their hiring practices, and rich management? Boycott their products and start with A for Apple.

Again, not really a viable option. Do you seriously mean to suggest consumers should do without products from any corporation with whose policies we may disagree? Would there be anyone left to do business with?

There are many ways other than a boycott to make our opinions and concerns heard. Too often, the greater problem is people are much too apathetic and irresolute.

The myth that more money for low income works and boosting the economy is widespread, but misunderstood. I don't have the energy to enumerate all the reasons its a myth, but suffice it to say the bump in spending would be so negligible to be meaningful and any benefit would be eaten up by the consequences I mentioned.

Source please.

As with everything, hardly ever one simple answer. I happen to believe simply putting the burden on corporations to pay more is too simple an approach. I understand the spirit of what they attempt to do but not the execution.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, you said so yourself. Is it really preferable to place a grater burden on taxpayers - who pay for social programs to help low-income households - to avoid increased labor costs to corporations? The added costs from wage increases tend to be passed on to consumers anyway (though the size of resulting price hikes are typically greatly exaggerated).

Just wait until you have a real job and family responsibilities. Life gets harder.

So, a Cast Member position at Walt Disney World is not a real job?

However, every time I see these sorts of complaints, I hear "woe is me" for the CM. The finger is pointed at abusive Guests or bad management, and rarely do I hear that perhaps the way the CM handled it (and it could be as simple as tone and body language, not what was said, but HOW it was said, escalated the situation.

If the individual Cast Members are poorly handling issues with guest relations, that still potentially reflects on Disney through inadequate training and improper management supervision. The CM should be trained to handle situations effectively, even if it is just passing the problem off to a (nearby and available) manager, and those employees who fail to meet customer service expectations should be dealt with just as any other aspect of job performance. It is just as important to be clear and consistent with what rules/policies can be bent to satisfy an irate guest and which are to be rigidly enforced. We have ample evidence, unrelated to the blog in question, this isn't happening.

Raising the minimum wage, however, doesn't get that job done. Increasing the pay for people who are not giving acceptable service does not make those people give acceptable service.

Higher pay does help to attract better performing, more qualified workers however, and it is necessary to provide fair and reasonable compensation to employees (Cast Members) if you expect them to provide acceptable job performance in delivering a premium priced product to guests. We honestly cannot expect CM's to be fully committed to a proper guest experience if they are constantly worried over not having food to feed their kids or having the electricity shut off while they're at work.

Whatever level you set the "minimum" wage, inflation alone will eventually render it unreasonably low, and periodic increases are necessary. The minimum wage was $3.35 when I got my first job. Would anyone here seriously argue it should not have been raised in the intervening years?

lazyboy97o

Has this actually been demonstrated in states and communities which have recently raised their minimum wage above the federally mandated $7.25? I've seen at least one study which suggests real gains for low-income workers from a minimum wage increase (though admittedly, I'm hardly an economic expert).
These areas tend to already be relatively affluent and therefore there is a customer base able to afford the increased product/service costs. The wage earners also typically do not live in these areas as cost of living (due to a number of factors) is higher and increasing, and this is actually happening more rapidly in more progressive cities. The issues hit hardest in poorer areas where that increased wage is just going out the door to everyone else with an increased wage. Just because McDonald's is raking in huge profits doesn't mean that is the case for the franchise owner whose shop is in a poor neighborhood. There are also places that have legislated automatic increases that are tied to inflation, and they have not really tackled the issue. We've been trying to shuffle money around for decades and it hasn't worked because we continue to live, demand and legislate lifestyles that are costly to maintain.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
You shouldn't confuse negativity about the present-day Walt Disney Company with a lack of interest and appreciation of the company's legacy and creative success. Without a doubt, some of the most negative posters on these discussion boards also are the most interested in discussing varied aspects of the company. I can retain a (life-long) interest in Disney whilst also recognizing the (steep) decline in standards and short-sighted business practices we've seen in the past decade or so.

That's just the thing; Too often, workers become "stuck" in low-income positions, with few real, viable options.

Again, not really a viable option. Do you seriously mean to suggest consumers should do without products from any corporation with whose policies we may disagree? Would there be anyone left to do business with?

There are many ways other than a boycott to make our opinions and concerns heard. Too often, the greater problem is people are much too apathetic and irresolute.

Source please.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, you said so yourself. Is it really preferable to place a grater burden on taxpayers - who pay for social programs to help low-income households - to avoid increased labor costs to corporations? The added costs from wage increases tend to be passed on to consumers anyway (though the size of resulting price hikes are typically greatly exaggerated).

So, a Cast Member position at Walt Disney World is not a real job?

If the individual Cast Members are poorly handling issues with guest relations, that still potentially reflects on Disney through inadequate training and improper management supervision. The CM should be trained to handle situations effectively, even if it is just passing the problem off to a (nearby and available) manager, and those employees who fail to meet customer service expectations should be dealt with just as any other aspect of job performance. It is just as important to be clear and consistent with what rules/policies can be bent to satisfy an irate guest and which are to be rigidly enforced. We have ample evidence, unrelated to the blog in question, this isn't happening.

Higher pay does help to attract better performing, more qualified workers however, and it is necessary to provide fair and reasonable compensation to employees (Cast Members) if you expect them to provide acceptable job performance in delivering a premium priced product to guests. We honestly cannot expect CM's to be fully committed to a proper guest experience if they are constantly worried over not having food to feed their kids or having the electricity shut off while they're at work.

Whatever level you set the "minimum" wage, inflation alone will eventually render it unreasonably low, and periodic increases are necessary. The minimum wage was $3.35 when I got my first job. Would anyone here seriously argue it should not have been raised in the intervening years?

Just wanted to say, I agree with this whole post x1000

flynnibus

Premium Member
However, to take that a step further and imply that Disney management, as a whole, is negligent and abusive of their employees? That, I take with a grain of salt. And that is the extreme that has been put forth, quite a few times.

Because it has been demonstrated time and time again. Ive certainly seen enough credible cites from known employees to form that opinion. And it's been that way for quite some time

seahawk7

I just saw that AK is going to join MK in opening early on Thanksgiving. I can't help but think of the CMs who will now get less time with their families. I started working a age 14 being a coffee girl at a Village Inn. Our manager had the authority to close the restaurant for Thanksgiving. Now we were one of the more profitable stores in our area, but our manager went ahead and closed for the day. I, along with a lot of single mom's and parents would have had to work that day. For a 14 year old it wasn't that big of a deal, however I remember my parents were very appreciative. I still think of that manager to this day because now I understand how nice that was. That store continued to stay very profitable.

dadddio

The minimum wage was $3.35 when I got my first job, also. My starting wage at that job was $3.55, however, because market forces in our area required the company to pay more to get the employees that it needed. Similarly, a raise in the minimum wage is not necessary for Disney to attract and retain good employees. If they find that they cannot attract quality employees at the wages that they offer, they will raise the wages all by themselves.

To the issue of employees not being able to pay their bills, that isn't technically an issue that the employer is responsible for managing. It is the individual's responsibility to manage his bills and to find work that is sufficient for his needs. Certainly, you aren't suggesting that your hypothetical employee should have received a raise just because he had children?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Because it has been demonstrated time and time again. Ive certainly seen enough credible cites from known employees to form that opinion. And it's been that way for quite some time
The squeaky wheel effect does not make it overarching fact.

I am far from supportive of Disney Management (heck, I go on a page long rant about it in my 2013 trip report). I tend, in my gut, to believe a lot of the stories, because I've seen it elsewhere. It's certainly not limited to Disney.

The only thing, if it's REALLY that bad, that I find incredibly amusing is this:

https://disneyinstitute.com/

That observation aside...

What I am saying that I take these complaints and observations, especially from front line CMs, with a grain of salt. Hearing one side of the story does not make it fact, nor does it surprise me that some have had their feathers ruffled, or even genuinely bad supervisor experiences. When you employ 50k+ people, and that's just at WDW, not everyone is going to "click" with the culture, and not every situation is going to be ideal.

And, there are some people (I've employed people like that) that tend to point the finger at everything else but themselves. They also tend to focus on individual anecdotes as evidence, and always tell it through their personal lens. How "they" have been wronged. And, a lot of these "testimonials" read just like that.

This doesn't invalidate their opinion, not by a long shot, nor even their observation, but it does not mean that it immediately becomes a concrete and balanced assessment that can then be used to make broad stroke judgments about what is, and what isn't, going on with P&R management.

HatboxGhost

Just a blog post about some guy who probably was fired and wanted to get even. Also I don't know if this blog article should be featured here do to its abundance of vulgar language.
Sounds like a guy who was telling it the way it is.
As for the colorful language, we are all adults, I think we can handle it without the world going to pieces.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The squeaky wheel effect does not make it overarching fact.

No, a reasonable balanced data set does

The squeaky wheel effect does not make
It's certainly not limited to Disney.

What others do does not justify nor negate what Disney does. And like you mentioned, Disney used to be a leader in business practices enough they setup a business to teach others... And people would travel to learn from Disney.

Now that gutted concept is a scrap of what the Disney university used to be. And ironically much of the old university is now part of a dvc... How fitting.

This doesn't invalidate their opinion, not by a long shot, nor even their observation, but it does not mean that it immediately becomes a concrete and balanced assessment that can then be used to make broad stroke judgments about what is, and what isn't, going on with P&R management.

So I refer you to the statement I made earlier about the data set.

Andrea 55

Yes and no.

Quality should cost more. If Disney isn't able to attract people who will give the needed quality at the current rate, then they should pay more to attract qualified people.

Raising the minimum wage, however, doesn't get that particular job done. Increasing the pay for people who are not giving acceptable service does not make those people give acceptable service.
OK, thanks for explaining.

GrammieBee

You all do realize that despite all of your "discussing" in this thread, no one is going to actually change the thinking of anyone else? The differing points of view are pretty clear.

HatboxGhost

Hmm, that's true. I guess we should close down the forums.
th

CDavid

You all do realize that despite all of your "discussing" in this thread, no one is going to actually change the thinking of anyone else? The differing points of view are pretty clear.

I would sincerely hope that not everyone on these forums is so closed minded. Our discussions can get a bit contentious at times, and while many posters may be firmly entrenched in their positions, that doesn't mean we aren't willing to explore - and more importantly, discuss - opposing points of view.

GrammieBee

Hmm, that's true. I guess we should close down the forums.

You said that. I certainly did not. I meant exactly what I said. No one is going to change anyone else's thinking on whatever subject is at hand and I hope they do'nt think they can. The positions are clear and the back and forth of defending them is what makes the threads interesting and even enjoyable for both the reader and the people posting.

GrammieBee

I would sincerely hope that not everyone on these forums is so closed minded. Our discussions can get a bit contentious at times, and while many posters may be firmly entrenched in their positions, that doesn't mean we aren't willing to explore - and more importantly, discuss - opposing points of view.

Color me confused. I fail to see why my comment makes me closed minded. To me, reading the thread, it seems that people's opinions are pretty well entrenched and are unlikely to be changed by a differing poin to view. You can enjoy discussing opposing view points all you want, but, the fact remains, it probably won't change anything. It does exercise the gray matter and provides a forum for expressing one's opinions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom