travel with kids

TDGMedley

Original Poster
What is the best way to to get around magic kingdom with 2 toddlers. (almost 3ys and 1 1/2) what to get the most out of the park. i have read something before tell witch way to go to help avoid big crowds. we are going in to the park September 13. and will be going back in the evening on the 16th for Mickey Halloween Party.
Also, we plan to go to animal kingdom on 14 and not made any plans Thursday the 15. so far have only got a 2 day park ticket. Does anyone have any advice what we could go do on Thursday. We keep thinking of water park but not sure if the kids will get anything out of it bc of age. or if there is anything else near we can drive to.

md0u80a2

In my opinion, this is the best time of year.

I did it with those ages and here are some thoughts:-

- They wont get anything out of halloween party - too young, anything fun too creepy even for those ages - cancel or sell tickets and add antoerh day in park IMO.
- Go first thing am - kids up early, cool, crowds light - be there for rope drop. In the first 2 hours of the day, you can knock off three times as much as 11-2pm. Then take it easy - relax, find something air conditioned like dumbo tent, or the wet play area or phillharmagic - have some lunch, kids will have a nap in stroller and you can get an ice cream or use some fastpass rides.
- Book a character meal - breakfast at crystal palace - costs, but if you get earliest sitting, you are in the park empty and get some once in a lifetime photos and kids will love winnie the pooh and friends
- Do magic shots with photopass - again, 3 year old will love looking online at photos
- Dont worry about big crowds - it shouldnt be an issue - no way to beat it, but if you are led by the kids you will be fine. The large lines you wont be able to do anyway as kids too short for mountains. As for things like peter pan, if you cant fastpass just dont bother - no fun for a child to wait for an hour in line!
Parade may be too much and fireworks just too late, so dont bother - kids wont get it, will be too tired - We did it so many times and as first firework went up, they past out to sleep!!!!
- Animal kingdom good for kids - safari, lion king, nemo - but big, really big! You need to stop, see animals and exhibits - kids will love and need the downtime!
Characters, characters, characters!!!! Kids will love and the only time they will truly out a doubt believe. When my eldest was 18 months, he spotted pluto in the hotel for the first time and panicked. he then toddled off to the shop and grabbed a food bowl and brought it to him to eat from. After that, he was obsessed with them all! Get so many photos!#
- Water- we bring massive sports bottles with spouts big enough to fill up with ice so stays cool and then free refills in all the restuarants, so keep giving the kids all day.

My conclusion is the obvious - this is about your kids - you are there to enjoy through them and nothing more - it is not the same as previous trips. And it is so much better!

Enjoy!

NelleBelle

Agree with the above. Did the parks when kids were these ages and had a great time. We did water parks because our kids loved water at that age and the kid areas are great air those ages (we also had grandma with so she would watch the kids while we rode a bigger slide or 2). They wore life-vests and had a blast! Now, we had this included in our tickets and so we did this for just a couple hours. If you have those kind of tickets, this would be a great thing to explore (liked blizzard beach for theming for kids). If you don't and wod be purchasing tickets for an "all-day thing, then I would not spend the $ on it! Do another park!!

Our kids slept anywhere in there strollers so we used the time to stay late at the parks and ride stuff and watch the fireworks for the adults :) But whatever you choose to do, make sure you don't Rush the kids, they get a nap somewhere or everyone will be miserable ;) Fall is my favorite time of year--have a great trip!

UberPlannerMom

Wow- so, I can't say that I agree 100% with the previous advice. If you are only going to be in the parks for two days I would definitely NOT leave the parks for a 2-3 hr nap. You have to figure that you make loose 4-5 hrs of your day to that. If you can get your kids to cuddle you and pass out during the hall of presidents, that works. And frankly, most adults are capable of that. I have never had a baby not willing to sleep through it.

I love the halloween party. If you are going to see rare characters or see the characters in costumes then the party is great. The fireworks are great, the parade is great. If you are doing those things the party is great. If you are going to have another day to ride, then sell your tickets and get a regular ticket for Thursday.

Absolutely try to get fastpasses for peter pan but if you can't then just make sure that that is where you head at park opening and you will be fine. I have gone a number of times in the same time frame as you are going. There will be times where the lines are crazy. Don't worry about that. There seems to be some kind of lemming thing that happens at disney world and everyone goes on the same ride at the same time. Pull out your phone, check the ride times on the app and just go to something else nearby that you'd like to do. No biggie. When you are done the previous line will probably be a lot shorter. If it's not, just repeat the process.

If you have the funds to book that early morning character breakfast, you love breakfast and you love pooh then go ahead and book it. If you didn't answer yes to at least two of those things, don't. Character meals can take up to two hours of your day. Do you really want to spend two hours of your kids energy on breakfast? And can your kids hold out until they get to the park to have breakfast? They will probably have been up for close to 90 minutes before they get to eat.

My kids have all loved the parades, both daytime and nighttime. They love to wave at all the passing characters and even cast members. Just be sure to bring them something to entertain them while they wait for it to begin if you decide to watch them. If not, that is another great time to hit the more popular rides.

Bring a stroller for both kids. I know, I know. Some people are going to tell you that 3 year olds are balls of energy, blah, blah, blah. They also have short legs and aren't great at budgeting their energy. The last thing you want is to have to carry one of your darlings at the end of a massively long day.

Now, for your other day... Here's the thing. You could easily spend 3 days in magic kingdom with your kids and still wish you had managed another ride on buzz (because you are going to want to ride with the 3 year old and then with the 1 year old and then with the 3 year old again because aghhh cuteness) or that you had been able to get a better spot to watch the castle show or whatever. Our last trip I think we spent 4 days at magic kingdom and still wished we could stay longer. That said, there are a ton of things to do in orlando. There isn't that much of a discount in adding a third day so it's all pretty equal. You could go to legoland. You could drive to busch gardens. You could go to sea world. You could save the cost of admission, take the kids to disney springs and be a baller and let them have whatever toy their hearts desire at world of disney or once upon a toy or the lego store. (actually we pretty much always spend at least a half day down there. We eat at one of the amazing restaurants, marvel at all the lego creations and just wander through the shops. There's almost always some form of entertainment going on somewhere (jugglers, dance parties, plate spinners, etc.) and it's free. You could also spend the day in the pool. At that age, why spend the money on a water park when the kids will be just as happy at the pool? Look, if you were going to 2 weeks I would tell you to go to every one of the parks because the kids will find so much to love at every one of them and to go slow and take after pool breaks and yada yada yada but that isn't the case. For a 4 day trip, be careful with your time. Not enough to be stressed out but enough to know what the wait times are and avoid crisscrossing the park.

Have fun and best of luck!

TDGMedley

Original Poster
Thank you for your help!! I can not wait to take the kids to Disney. My son Loves Mickey Mouse. and I have been showing him stuff on the computer and he tells me he wants to go do that. Not to sound like a dork but have been looking at the map of Magic Kingdom trying to get a feel where all the ride are and witch way to start. When we get there want it to go easy and not rush the kids. Want them and us to enjoy. I hope the Mickey Halloween Party lots of fun. already got the kids customs.

WildernessMan83

First off, I've spent lots of time at WDW with infants and toddlers over the last 3 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. We were given solid advice before our trip with our 18 month old and here it is...

- Set your expectations properly, this is a kids trip.
- Let them take their regularly scheduled naps. Regardless of only being there for 2 or 3 days, that doesn't matter. Do you want those days to be happy or miserable? I don't understand the notion of going all out all day because you're only there for 2 or 3 days. Now, maybe you're lucky and your kids can take their naps in the stroller and be perfectly happy...if that's them, then roll the dice. If not, let them take their naps at the hotel.
- Get to the park when it opens and set your FPs for starting around 2 hours after. That's typically our strategy and by noon or 1:00 we've been on say 6-8 rides without beating ourselves up. I should say, we go during lower crowds so results may vary during other times of the year. This should work in September.
- Take time to take in your kids experience. It's so cool watching them meet Mickey for the first time and be blown away by the magic of the parks. You can't do this if you're rushing all over the place like a mad person.

Where are you staying?

redfrog12

Thank you for your help!! I can not wait to take the kids to Disney. My son Loves Mickey Mouse. and I have been showing him stuff on the computer and he tells me he wants to go do that. Not to sound like a dork but have been looking at the map of Magic Kingdom trying to get a feel where all the ride are and witch way to start. When we get there want it to go easy and not rush the kids. Want them and us to enjoy. I hope the Mickey Halloween Party lots of fun. already got the kids customs.
We have never traveled with anyone under 5, but we always start in Fantasyland right away in the morning so that we don't have to worry about long waits for Peter Pan, Small World, etc. After that we'll either head left or right around the park depending on what we have Fastpasses for. We'll be taking our 1 1/2 year old son next summer and this is our plan.

md0u80a2

Then you must be there at rope drop and straight to fantasyland

Quite small - relatively - beat the queues and about as quiet as it gets as an area at that time of day

For example, the characters in the sideshow tents - air conditioned, indoors and feels quite 'calm'

Add small world, Peter Pan, pooh - if you get them done by lunch, great achievement and not too tough for kids

But I stand by my point for Halloween party - I can't see what such young kids get from this - unless you are using it to get line times and just ride the attractions - if the kids have got it in them that late, then worth it. You have to make a call

Stroller absoutely essentially - don't leave the hotel with out it!

Weather_Lady

This is somewhat of a repeat of what others said, but my thoughts are:

1 - As far as parks, AK is a great choice, and I'd spend any and all remaining time in the MK, which offers the most attractions (placed much more closely together, meaning fewer steps for little legs) for young children. I wouldn't bother with the water parks (or with the hefty ticket upcharge), as they don't have a whole lot for youngsters. If you have an extra half-day, the kids might enjoy a number of attractions in Future World, Epcot (e.g., Seas with Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, Character Spot, etc.) or in Hollywood Studios (Disney, Jr. show, Toy Story Midway Mania), depending on their particular areas of interest. Also, you asked about how to tour MK: my advice is to choose one or two adjoining lands (e.g., Adventureland and Frontierland, or Old Fantasyland and Liberty Square, or New Fantasyland and Tomorrowland), and cover each pair in a half-day segment. If it's in the morning, hit the headliners in those two lands at rope drop, and then work your way back through them to complete the "anytime" attractions. If it's in the evening, make FP+ for the 3 biggest headliners in those lands, and work your way through, weaving between your FP+ reservations and the anytime attractions, and saving any headliners for which you couldn't get FP+ for the end of the night.

2 - The key to avoiding meltdowns (for you or the children!) is to preserve their usual schedule of wake-up times, bedtimes and naptimes as much as possible (perhaps until your final night, if you want to keep them up late for fireworks). My whole family leaves the parks after lunch and returns to the hotel for a good 1-2 hour nap every afternoon, and it makes all the difference in our attitudes and energy levels. Also, build plenty of bathroom/snack breaks into your schedule. Keeping everyone rested and refreshed at all times is the best way to ensure that you're all equipped to have a wonderful time, and to handle any snafus (e.g., an unexpectedly long wait for an attraction, a bus breakdown) that might arise.

TDGMedley

Original Poster
We have decided to add a extra park day and not to a water park, because of there ages we figured they would have just as much fun at the hotel pool for the cot of water park. We are going to Epcot and I was able to get in to the Garden Grill.

Noellikechristmas

I have an almost 3 year old and I was debating the Halloween party, but I ended up booking tickets cause we're going with other people who really want to go. On the plus side...you won't have to pay for either of your kids. If you go in a few years, you'll have to pay for both. And the comment about 'they won't remember'...why go to Disney at all if that's your thought process. I think the small kids will still enjoy it and the picture you'll have for years will be priceless memories. I say do it!

As far as naps...as PP said, naps can take many hours out of your day. If the child is tired and you start your trek back to the hotel, what happens if the kid falls asleep on the way back...and the transfer into bed wakes them up? You know your kid...if they need a bed, go back. If you think they'll just fall asleep when their tired, they will. I once went back to my baby to sleep and she wouldn't sleep. She wasn't home, she was excited and in a new place. It was a waste of a few hours..........for the rest of the trip, she would fall asleep on the slow/dark rides. Every kid is different...

About your water park comment. Bring spare clothes. There's splash pads in fantasy land and one in EPCOT. This would be a nice break while maybe someone is on a 'big kid' ride or to cool off...or just tire them out ;-) If anyone knows of any more splash pads in the parks, let me know. I don't think a water park would be worth it for such small children.....I think all the WDW resorts have nice splash pads or shallow pools for little ones, too.

Tootsie

We are going at that same time in September (10-17), we opted not to do the Halloween Party simply because one night that week, MK has extra magic hours until midnight, and instead of paying the extra for the party, we are doing that. I've been to Halloween Party, it was fun, but had the extra money then. As for the toddler napping in the stroller, not sure if that's going to happen, but have an aunt willing to take the baby back for naps. This is going to be our longest trip, usually only 4 park days, not days to explore, this time 5 park day and two days to explore, so looking forward to the exploring. We are staying at AoA, very excited about that as well, and TDGMedley, you are not a dork looking at maps, if that's the case, I'm 53 and look at something different everyday on the web and through the blogs, I have a countdown calendar on my phone, so I guess that makes me part of the "dork" club!! This will be my 4th time to WDW and we've been to DL twice, mostly in the fall (September/October) and winter (December and February), love the holiday themes at that time. Enjoy it, no matter how long you're there. It's truly magical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom