Travel Tripod Suggestions!

NowInc

Original Poster
So after spending my last few days at the park sans-tripod...I have decided that its time to finally bite the bullet and get one. I pride myself on some of the shots I get "handheld", but at the same time I know I can do WAY better..

So...my question...any suggestions for a good travel sized tripod? I am looking into this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A0690T-...TF8&colid=37IBPSD9FSGXW&coliid=I16VOZAH3YO7ZD

Anyone have any experience with this? From what I've read, its a pretty good balance of price and quality...and will EASILY support my D7100 and all the lenses I have, as well as fitting in the tripod compartment on my Lowepro slingshot 202 aw. My local camera shop doesn't have any in stock for me to "feel"..so I hope anyone here can give some insight :) Im not looking to spend more than $200 since this is a TRAVEL only tripod.

WDWFigment

My concern with this one would be the maximum height. The one situation where this will really matter is if you shoot Wishes--it won't be tall enough to get over heads. Not sure of any other situations where the height may be a drawback or if you care about Wishes, but something to possibly consider.

I use the MeFoto RoadTrip, and I like it. The drawback with it, I think, is setup and tear-down time.

ddbowdoin

Tripods are definitively something you want to see in the flesh. You can read a million reviews but until you feel, hold, and carry the tripod (or attach to your pack you plan on using I find people end up returning and reordering tripods until you find the right one.

Personally, I can't stand finding a travel tripod... My low end Manfrotto holds my medium format camera at its lowest extension, but like Tom said above, the moment you start extending the issues comes into play.

At the same time my Bogen Manfrotto primary tripod weighs like 30 lbs.

Stability and lightweight usually adds up sole serious coin. I drool over a Gitzo but I'll die before I spend 800 bucks on a tripod.

Good luck!

WDI 1998

I am looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Mefoto-A2350Q...TF8&colid=2TN8E5VQJNXSV&coliid=I1TNLS57ZJYHGK

It extends up to 64 1/2 inches a little bit taller than the Road Trip and supports up to 26 pounds, weighs 4.6 pounds and folds down to 16" long. Amazon has it for about $210. I love the tripod I already have but it is way to heavy and too long to attach to my gear bag. This new one would be for when I would have to carry it all day kind of travel. If am going to purely shoot and will be using it most of the time then I would use my Ravelli as that is a tank of a tripod.

NowInc

Original Poster
Im thinking of going with the Bento because it seems to have a few features that stand out to me...mostly that the "main" support for the tripod isn't always partially extended (The MeFoto from what I've seen always has a few inches that is, where the bento has the base of the head right where the legs meet...for more stability). Im going to call around a few more shops down by my job in Miami and ask if they have any of the above in stock so I can get a "feel" for them..I was just hoping to avoid having to travel that far (Tho I WORK in miami, I actually live an hour away).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So after spending my last few days at the park sans-tripod...I have decided that its time to finally bite the bullet and get one. I pride myself on some of the shots I get "handheld", but at the same time I know I can do WAY better..

So...my question...any suggestions for a good travel sized tripod? I am looking into this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A0690T-...TF8&colid=37IBPSD9FSGXW&coliid=I16VOZAH3YO7ZD

Anyone have any experience with this? From what I've read, its a pretty good balance of price and quality...and will EASILY support my D7100 and all the lenses I have, as well as fitting in the tripod compartment on my Lowepro slingshot 202 aw. My local camera shop doesn't have any in stock for me to "feel"..so I hope anyone here can give some insight :) Im not looking to spend more than $200 since this is a TRAVEL only tripod.
I've got this exact one, works very well. Very solid, well built. It folds very small, and if the max height works for you, it is definitely a good pick. It is obviously a travel pod, so does not give you a huge amount of height. It won't get over crowds for example.

AmongMadPeople

Im thinking of going with the Bento because it seems to have a few features that stand out to me...mostly that the "main" support for the tripod isn't always partially extended (The MeFoto from what I've seen always has a few inches that is, where the bento has the base of the head right where the legs meet...for more stability). Im going to call around a few more shops down by my job in Miami and ask if they have any of the above in stock so I can get a "feel" for them..I was just hoping to avoid having to travel that far (Tho I WORK in miami, I actually live an hour away).

Comparing tripod features is akin to torture for me, but the MeFoto Backpacker (link from post #2) is shorter/has a lighter load capacity than the Roadtrip. Unless you don't care about height or load, I'd scratch the Backpacker from contention. I think The Roadtrip is "technically" a class below the Benro Travel Angel. Both are from the same company though. I wonder if there is much difference in the product quality & features, because it seems the primary difference is how they market them.

Didn't get too far in comparing specs, but I don't know why the Benro Travel Angel is so much cheaper than the Roadtrip, unless its just because the Roadtrip is a newer line and converts to monopod. The center column on the Roadtrip can be lowered to the base of the ball head, similar to how the Travel Angel looks in Amazon's photo.

The Roadtrip - http://www.amazon.com/MeFoto-A1350Q...ie=UTF8&qid=1370628992&sr=1-5&keywords=mefoto

I have the Roadtrip in green, which Amazon lists separately as the "MeFoto transfunctional tripod" even though it's the same product number as the Roadtrip.

PhotoDave219

Well this manfrotto one goes down to 18 inches... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...to_MKC3_H01_Compact_Photo_Movie_Kit_with.html

You're dealing with a trade off, portability vs height. The Mefoto one looks very very nice, even if it only goes to 5 feet.

However, how often - beyond fireworks - are you going to need a tripod to get over crowds.

That being said, there's been a ridiculous amount of comedy with tripods happening at SWW this year. So many gearheads putting a 70-200 on a tripod....

misterhowe

My concern with this one would be the maximum height. The one situation where this will really matter is if you shoot Wishes--it won't be tall enough to get over heads. Not sure of any other situations where the height may be a drawback or if you care about Wishes, but something to possibly consider.

I use the MeFoto RoadTrip, and I like it. The drawback with it, I think, is setup and tear-down time.

I have to agree with Tom here; I have the Mefoto Travel and the drawback is the maximum height. But like PhotoDave 219 said, fireworks would be the main time you really miss the extra height. I've taken the Mefoto Travel a couple of times to WDW and have to either get to spots early and to be in front of everyone (easier at Illuminations) or get way back and angle up (much harder at Wishes). The plus advantage is the portability. I can actually fit it side ways in the top compartment of my Lowepro Fastpack 250, adding no width to my profile, and making air travel easier. But...I have found myself wishing for a few extra inches on occasion. For me the compactness is worth it most of the time, but if I was doing it over again (and I will make the change in the future, for sure) I'd go for the added height and sturdiness.

NowInc

Original Poster
Im not too concerned over shooting fireworks..was never really "my thing" (avoids the throwing of stones). I use that time as an opportunity to capitalize on a much emptier rest of the parks.

misterhowe

Im not too concerned over shooting fireworks..was never really "my thing" (avoids the throwing of stones). I use that time as an opportunity to capitalize on a much emptier rest of the parks.

Then I'd definitely recommend the Mefoto Travel (not a salesmen, I promise, no commission here). Other than the height factor, it's been the perfect travel tripod for me. Using a crop sensor with battery grip and a 17-50 f2.8 it holds up just fine, and it packs up so small!

PhotoDave219

No, thats perfectly fine. I see a lot of poorly composed fireworks photos.

ddbowdoin

Tripods are a pain in the balls...

Size and weight = money.

I would love a carbon fiber Gitzo but I also would rather have 800 bucks in my pocket.

ddbowdoin

No kidding; I think it was easier deciding on my camera.

It seriously is...

I have two, a low end manfrotto that is strong enough to hold a Mamiya RB67 at it's base level but as soon as the legs are extended see you later... way too flimsy. Then I have this diesel Bogen - Manfrotto that is HUGE and is strong enough to hold an 8x10 field camera system.

But I'd like something in between because the small one just has no reach.

maxairmike

Raising this from the dead to ask if anyone has bought and used the MeFoto Road Trip or GlobeTrotter (I'd be going with the GlobeTrotter for the height), and if so, your thoughts? I'm also looking at the Manfrotto 294 kit as well. I know I won't get anything that will reach over heads for my approx. $200 budget, so I'm not worried about that so much anymore. I'm just weighing the cost/benefit of a new tripod (currently using a cheap SunPak, but it has gotten the job done for the last 4 years, and really, holds my gear fine), or getting a 35mm f/1.8 and possibly putting the remainder towards a ball head to replace the crappy panhead on the current tripod.

NowInc

Original Poster
I ended up going with the Mefoto A1350Q1K Roadtrip Travel Tripod Kit. Best decision I ever made. Easy to carry, very sturdy, packs up small.

MissM

I have this one! I bought it a couple months ago based on some recommendations on a photography forum. I like it. I tend to carry it in the included case which is nice and slings on my shoulder really well. The legs are twist-unlock style which works great when you get used to it, but is a bit of a PITA at first. I have a Canon T4i and I've used it with a range of lens including my heavy 18-135mm and never had any instability problems. I've also left my camera mounted, folded the legs and carried it around the park moving from place to place. (I nestle my camera in the crook of my neck/shoulder to prevent it from being hit.) Never felt like it was insecure that way that way.

I don't have a lot of experience with a wide range of tripods so I can't compare it to much else, but it folds up nice and small, balances really well, and is stable in my experiences. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. I will note I bought it from the "Amazon Warehouse" seller for $126 at the time because it was technically marked "used" but it was still sealed in plastic. Which made it a good deal and worth trying for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom