Travel Camera

fractal

Wow!!!!!!! Ok so my problem must be user error! Here's a castle photo with my iPhone 7-

View attachment 207104

Here's what I really want to correct even more than that- FIREWORKS!

My photos from my iPhone 7..even when the 7s comes out (I'm sure) do not get clear, sharp, photos. Especially from our room.

View attachment 207105

The Olympus is going to cost me around $800 after accessories.. and I still need either the GoPro Hero Session, or a generic normal sized GoPro and accessories.. so for a 3rd camera I would want to be $300 or less. I had a DSLR, Nikon when my kid was a baby.. I left it in a stroller when we walked away while at a zoo, and it was stolen . Haven't bought another camera since, and don't really want to deal with lugging a DSLR around again.

Here's another nighttime photo.. the iPhone just doesn't take good photos, or maybe it's me. Lol

The lights made the photo blurry.

View attachment 207108

Forget action shots with cell phone cameras (unless it has a "sport shooting" mode). The blurriness in the background (second shot) was because you must have moved the camera. As I said before, the camera recognized the dark scene and kept the shutter open longer. If you moved the camera during that time the result is blurry photo.

Fireworks shots will not get too much better unless you have a tripod or other stable object and know how to take them. I've taken many long exposure shots on trashcans, railings, shelves, etc.

It's not rocket science but it does require an advanced knowledge of how your camera settings works and how to manipulate the exposure triangle.

ddbowdoin

It depends on your expectations. The iphone is a powerful tool but has many limitations. What it really all boils down to is what do you want to do with the pictures. If you want to print them and make scrap books etc, you'll need a real camera. The iphone work is deceptive as it looks lovely on a backlit screen, especially smaller iPad and Iphone screens.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It depends on your expectations. The iphone is a powerful tool but has many limitations. What it really all boils down to is what do you want to do with the pictures. If you want to print them and make scrap books etc, you'll need a real camera. The iphone work is deceptive as it looks lovely on a backlit screen, especially smaller iPad and Iphone screens.
I've printed photo books with a combination of full frame images and iPhone 7 side by side. I can tell the difference, but in certain circumstances (good daylight lighting, relatively small image size), it isn't incredibly obvious which is which. For a lot of people, it would be sufficient. I was surprised just how well it printed.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the information. I was looking to buy a smaller travel camera instead of my DSLR. Unfortunately, life got in the way. Car had to go to the shop and anything that I might be able to use to get a camera will go to the car. The plan will be to leave the 70-200mm lens at the resort. If I need to get closeup, I will use my feet. This will cut a good chunk of the weight out. I will have the Olympus TG4 and the action camera as well. They weigh nothing to take along.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This worries me. So based on your experience, you think a less expensive point-and-shoot will take better "normal" Photos than the Olympus?

I am so happy to hear about your experience with the "generic" GoPro. If I do not end up getting the Session, which I'm still a little afraid of, then I was thinking about just getting a generic one off of Amazon. It has tons of good reviews! I just want something for waterslides, and when we are riding in the x rail buggies.. also when we jump in the water. The hero session is attractive because of it's size. But you can't even see what's in the frame.

I have not really used the TG4 for anything more than pictures at our pool. I bought it specifically for going on a Disney Cruise to use at Castaway Cay. I will test it out more for general photos. I am looking for something that is about 10x zoom and takes better than cellphone pictures. People love their cellphone pics, but I think they are garbage. Panasonic was always a favorite camera of mine. I may just go with one of the Lumix cameras.

As for the GoPro, trust me, do not waste the money. All of those other brands you see on Amazon are from the same manufacturing line as GoPro. That Akaso EK7000 is a pretty awesome little camera. My GitUp 2 is a year old and better than the GoPro Hero 5 that is 5x more expensive. Honestly, I would buy it and not think twice. For $84, you can't beat that Akaso. I almost bought one. I am choosing to buy a camera that I can use more for general photos walking the World.

I know I'm just another stranger on the internet, LOL, but my husband uses the Akaso for professional web videos and loves it.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Did either of you look into mirrorless cameras? Interchangeable lens type. @sporadic advise is sound. Especially if you have a thing against Sony.

Small, lightweight, large sensor. For me, the perfect camera to lug around WDW and take great photos.

We're looking into mirrorless right now. I have a really nice Nikon DSLR that takes great photos..... but I want to be able to take selfies with my camera and I cannot do that with the one I have. My husband travels a lot so a lot of our adventure time is just the toddler and I, and I don't feel comfortable handing my Nikon off to a stranger to get a picture of my daughter and I in front of the flamingos. My husband gave me allllll the side eyes when I told him I want a new camera so I can take high quality selfies :hilarious::hilarious:

thomas998

We're looking into mirrorless right now. I have a really nice Nikon DSLR that takes great photos..... but I want to be able to take selfies with my camera and I cannot do that with the one I have. My husband travels a lot so a lot of our adventure time is just the toddler and I, and I don't feel comfortable handing my Nikon off to a stranger to get a picture of my daughter and I in front of the flamingos. My husband gave me allllll the side eyes when I told him I want a new camera so I can take high quality selfies :hilarious::hilarious:
I'm with your husband on that... never understood the selfie craze... you rarely get anything other than your face and arm in a selfie and its usually an odd angle that is less than flattering.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I'm with your husband on that... never understood the selfie craze... you rarely get anything other than your face and arm in a selfie and its usually an odd angle that is less than flattering.

I never really cared about selfies one way or the other until I had a kid. I want to be in the photos with her so when I'm gone, she'll have those photos of the adventures we've had together :)

ddbowdoin

I've printed photo books with a combination of full frame images and iPhone 7 side by side. I can tell the difference, but in certain circumstances (good daylight lighting, relatively small image size), it isn't incredibly obvious which is which. For a lot of people, it would be sufficient. I was surprised just how well it printed.
I could see that... a small book and an iphone7 could work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom