1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Travel Camera

Discussion in 'Photography and Video' started by BigRedDad, May 27, 2017.

1. fractal

fractal Premium Member

Forget action shots with cell phone cameras (unless it has a "sport shooting" mode). The blurriness in the background (second shot) was because you must have moved the camera. As I said before, the camera recognized the dark scene and kept the shutter open longer. If you moved the camera during that time the result is blurry photo.

Fireworks shots will not get too much better unless you have a tripod or other stable object and know how to take them. I've taken many long exposure shots on trashcans, railings, shelves, etc.

It's not rocket science but it does require an advanced knowledge of how your camera settings works and how to manipulate the exposure triangle.

2. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

fractal likes this.
  3. ddbowdoin

ddbowdoin Well-Known Member

It depends on your expectations. The iphone is a powerful tool but has many limitations. What it really all boils down to is what do you want to do with the pictures. If you want to print them and make scrap books etc, you'll need a real camera. The iphone work is deceptive as it looks lovely on a backlit screen, especially smaller iPad and Iphone screens.

4. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

I've printed photo books with a combination of full frame images and iPhone 7 side by side. I can tell the difference, but in certain circumstances (good daylight lighting, relatively small image size), it isn't incredibly obvious which is which. For a lot of people, it would be sufficient. I was surprised just how well it printed.

5. BigRedDad

BigRedDad Well-Known Member Original Poster

Thanks for all of the information. I was looking to buy a smaller travel camera instead of my DSLR. Unfortunately, life got in the way. Car had to go to the shop and anything that I might be able to use to get a camera will go to the car. The plan will be to leave the 70-200mm lens at the resort. If I need to get closeup, I will use my feet. This will cut a good chunk of the weight out. I will have the Olympus TG4 and the action camera as well. They weigh nothing to take along.

fractal likes this.
  6. DisneyBound2017

DisneyBound2017 Well-Known Member

I know I'm just another stranger on the internet, LOL, but my husband uses the Akaso for professional web videos and loves it.

BigRedDad likes this.
  7. DisneyBound2017

We're looking into mirrorless right now. I have a really nice Nikon DSLR that takes great photos..... but I want to be able to take selfies with my camera and I cannot do that with the one I have. My husband travels a lot so a lot of our adventure time is just the toddler and I, and I don't feel comfortable handing my Nikon off to a stranger to get a picture of my daughter and I in front of the flamingos. My husband gave me allllll the side eyes when I told him I want a new camera so I can take high quality selfies :hilarious::hilarious:

8. thomas998

thomas998 Well-Known Member

I'm with your husband on that... never understood the selfie craze... you rarely get anything other than your face and arm in a selfie and its usually an odd angle that is less than flattering.

9. DisneyBound2017

I never really cared about selfies one way or the other until I had a kid. I want to be in the photos with her so when I'm gone, she'll have those photos of the adventures we've had together :)

VeroniqueB, Zipitidoda and drizgirl like this.
  10. ddbowdoin

ddbowdoin Well-Known Member

I could see that... a small book and an iphone7 could work.