Travel agent vs booking on your own

DimpledDevil18

I need some of my experienced WDW friends to settle an argument between my Dad and I.

I'm trying to plan a trip for next October during Food and Wine for myself and possibly my sister. We have used travel agents to book in the past and most recently used a AAA travel agent for our trip this past August. I originally went onto the Disney website and got some figures for the dates I had in mind. Meanwhile my Dad called up his AAA agent to see if she could get a better rate and she wound up with the same exact figure I got through the Disney website.

My Dad is very old school and thinks he knows it all. So he is convinced that there must be something wrong because he swears the travel agent has given him better deals than booking through Disney directly. He says in the past he has called Disney and gotten astronomical rates and that AAA was cheaper. I say he's wrong and prople mainly book through a travel agent for convenience or if you are not very familiar with Disney.

So do you get cheaper rates through a travel agent or is it the same as booking it yourself through the website without the work?

Tony the Tigger

I have never used one, and it's so much easier now with the Internet versus when we only had phones LOL.

I have a few friends who said they were Disney travel agents and after I told them I already got Florida and annual passholder discounts, they basically told me I already get the best deals without help.

With that said, you can sometimes find better deals than on the Disney site even with Disney discounts from AAA and Orbitz.

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
@DimpledDevil18 AAA used to be an official Disney sponsor and was able to offer discounted rates to AAA members. This is no longer the case. Perhaps your dad is remembering that time.

@TDGMedley many travel agents do not charge a fee. Kingdom Konsultants (this site's sponsor) is one of them. :)

Maybe this is it although he swears it was as recent as when he was booking our August trip which was only about a year ago.

I don't believe that AAA charges a fee either since you obviously have to be a member to use the service.

@Kingdom Konsultant has booked a number of trips for us. Pam checks for discounts even after we book so we don't have to worry about getting the best deal for what we want to do. So, yes, you may initially get a similar quote, but the added benefit of getting a better deal made available after that quote is a huge service.

I definitely understand the perk of using a travel agent for this purpose especially since not everyone has the time to search for discounts on your own or the hassle.

My dad is basically insisting that he call back the AAA agent for an explanation. (He can be a little thickheaded). I kind of wanted to book the trip myself just to say I did it. I've considered possibly getting into the Disney travel field, so I wanted the experience of booking my own trip. He is insisting on using the travel agent though. Maybe he doesn't trust me lol.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
@TDGMedley many travel agents do not charge a fee. Kingdom Konsultants (this site's sponsor) is one of them. :)

For the first time in almost a decade we were in need of a travel agent, thanks to CM discounts. We did this year use Kingdom Konsultants, Marie @wannabeBelle and she was beyond awesome. Everything including some changes slid perfectly into place & questions promptly answered. Perfect experience. Would never book a non-CM trip again without her assistance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
My dad is basically insisting that he call back the AAA agent for an explanation. (He can be a little thickheaded). I kind of wanted to book the trip myself just to say I did it. I've considered possibly getting into the Disney travel field, so I wanted the experience of booking my own trip. He is insisting on using the travel agent though. Maybe he doesn't trust me lol.

These days travel agents don't get you cheaper rates for wdw... their value is in the advisor role, that they will do the leg work of the reservations, and they have the research on all the various offers (info you can get yourself as well).

They save people money by ensuring they take advantage of offers they may not have been aware of, or the good ones will update reservations when new deals become available.

But "they get rates I don't" isn't really the case anymore

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I'm aware of one travel agency that can offer discounts greater than Disney offers. They will buy up rooms in bulk and then offer deals on them. But it's not for every resort or for every week. And it's definitely not AAA.

We used CAA (the Canadian equivalent) only once, to get the better discount, but this was quite a few years ago. The partnership between Disney and AAA has since ended, and they can only offer the same discounts that any TA or you can get on the Internet.

Having said that, Orbitz and at least one other similar site sometimes has discounts (10-15%) that you can stack on top of Disney discounts when you book through them.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
In response to the OP, your dad through AAA and you (directly) obtained the same rate. Begs the question - How does AAA make money from this - "if I can get the same rate directly as I can using AAA?" Is AAA doing this for free? - And therein lies the first secret. If you book through AAA, it costs Disney a commission. Your booking through AAA is not as profitable for Disney as if you would have booked through them directly.

Now a few things are obvious....such as you cannot call Disney directly for servicing of the booking. Any changes, modifications etc. must be done with AAA not Disney. Disney is not bearing the cost to support the booking, AAA is (That is a part of the reason they are earning commission). Disney will tell you to consult with your agency and that they cannot "touch" the reservation.

A few things less obvious...like say an upgrade in room. Disney will be more apt to upgrade you based on the revenue they are earning (Which is less if you are going through a AAA or any OTA for that matter). This is not to say that you will never receive an upgraded room if you book with an agency....because at times you will.

There are others. But here is the reason I'll always book direct.

Any agency is a business. The objective of any business is to make money. The majority of people become obsessed when a planning a vacation and will spend hour upon hour and day upon day searching for the lowest rate, best deal, best value etc, etc.. They are booking months in advance and will only give up the credit card when they are convinced they are getting the best deal. Once they've booked - They put it to rest and look forward to the vacation. But what if a month later the rate drops? Will the agency call and tell you this? (Albeit some will) Most won't. Why? Because it impacts their commission. Meaning they are now making less money. In fact, if you call the agency because you saw a promotion, got a direct mail piece or an email of a promotion directly from Disney - In most cases you'll be told you don't qualify for whatever reason, or in some cases you'll be referred to some small print on your confirmation that explains there is some type of Administrative fee to change to the lower rate.

If you book directly with Disney and the rate drops, you call them and they'll re-price it. Very simple. No haggling about not qualifying or the charging of an Admin Fee, Change Fee, or whatever you'd like to call it. Now I'm sure I'll have some responses of.... "Well I work for such and such and we would never do anything like that"......that's great. But a lot of agencies do. Expedia, Priceline, AAA and the like are not in the business of giving back money. For my peace of mind...with everything being equal.......... I'll book directly with the brand all day every day.

Upvote 0

graphite1326

I have booked direct and through AAA. The rate has always been the same. I use AAA because it's on my street and convenient for me. I just stop in and tell the agent what I want and they have it done with airfare when I stop back in.

However, I have a question. Does Kingdom Konsultant also help you with the airline? I looked into one of these agencies and they didn't include that.

Upvote 0

MMV_Sarah

Disney's packages have a built-in commission. You're going to pay the same exact price booking direct or through an agent. The only difference is when booking through an agent, the built in percentage goes to the agency, rather than Disney keeping it.

I have often times booked the travel agent rates and have been upgraded more than once, so regardless of booking yourself or with or without a discount or an agent, upgrades are possible.

If you contact an agent who doesn't tell you they will notify you ASAP when a new promotion drops, find another agent!!! Seriously. That's completely wrong. Most agents will spend hours upon hours on the phone applying discounts.

When you book using an agent, you're essentially supporting a small business. Many agents are work at home moms helping to support their families. I'm not saying working with an agent is for everyone because I completely understand that some guests prefer to book it themselves and be 100% in control.

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input. My Dad is in disbelief over the whole thing, but I think he realizes I was right all along. With that being said as much as I'd like to try to book this trip on my own, we will most likely go through AAA again. My Dad was very pleased with the agent we used the last time. She was very honest and helped us save money where we could. We already know that she'll try to apply discounts as they are offered because she did the last time. Just in case though I'll be keeping up to date with all the promotions as they come out. Really all AAA does is book the package anyway. We are on our own for flights, ADRS, and FP's, so I guess its a good compromise. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

graphite1326

Thanks everyone for your input. My Dad is in disbelief over the whole thing, but I think he realizes I was right all along. With that being said as much as I'd like to try to book this trip on my own, we will most likely go through AAA again. My Dad was very pleased with the agent we used the last time. She was very honest and helped us save money where we could. We already know that she'll try to apply discounts as they are offered because she did the last time. Just in case though I'll be keeping up to date with all the promotions as they come out. Really all AAA does is book the package anyway. We are on our own for flights, ADRS, and FP's, so I guess its a good compromise. Thanks again!
When I use AAA they book the flight also. I have sat there and watched them do it. On the screen it pretty much looks like the same site you would use if you did it yourself on line. Unless you want to book your own flight.

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
When I use AAA they book the flight also. I have sat there and watched them do it. On the screen it pretty much looks like the same site you would use if you did it yourself on line. Unless you want to book your own flight.

We do prefer to book our own flights. We prefer to fly Southwest from our local airport.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom