Trattoria al Forno to replace Kouzzina by Cat Cora on Disney's BoardWalk

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Thanks for the news. Not sure I'm excited about this, since I find WDW's Italian restaurants to be overpriced, mediocre, or both.

Post of the Day!

Tony's has been open in the MK for about 25 years and they still can't pull of Italian Food worthy of the price. It is a shame. How difficult is it to hire and Executive Chef that would finally turn that restaurant around? (If they did I'd give them a permit for wine with a meal too.) I've yet to find Italian Food in Disney that I'd give more than a passable rating and most serving Italian I'd fail. Food critics outside of the World would likely not give them a Star.

I ate pizza pie at Via Napoli in 2012 it was delicious. Ate there in 2014 and it wasn't very good and the atmosphere was horrid, backed up ADRs and tables that were not bussed. Nothing like paying for hasty made pie and sitting next to a table that sat unbussed for over 30 minutes. It will be a while before I return to Via Napoli's.

Last edited:

ThemeParkJunkee

Just ate at our local Italian Restaurant (only game in town, makes some of their pasta fresh etc) and it was...mediocre. But, it is always packed and requires a reservation. Italian food is likely the safest bet for WDW at any location. It is nice that our local restaurant service Italian wines and beers though.

Gabe1

Just ate at our local Italian Restaurant (only game in town, makes some of their pasta fresh etc) and it was...mediocre. But, it is always packed and requires a reservation. Italian food is likely the safest bet for WDW at any location. It is nice that our local restaurant service Italian wines and beers though.

The only game in town is an unbalanced comparison to WDW with choices and quality abound.

I am surprised you would pick Italian as the safest be for WDW at any Location. I'd eat at Flame over Pizzafari at Animal Kingdom.

I'd eat at Starring Rolls over Toy Story Pizza. I'd eat at Brown Derby over Mamma Melrose or the Lasagna at Primetime. While eating at FW I stay away from the Meatball Sub at Umbrella instead opting for the slow roasted porkchop at Sunshine. In the WS I'd eat at Rose & Crown, Chefs de France, Tappan Edo long before I'll eat at Via Napoli or Tutto again.

At the MK, Tony's would be one of my last choices while loving Liberty Tree and receiving so much more included with my meal for the price with the bonus of a chef knowing what they are doing. I'm hard pressed to think of any quick service at the MK that bothers to try Italian, know Cosmics dumped it from the menu long ago but the Braized Pork at BOG is a good QS lunch, the Plaza has amazing sandwiches and Columbia House doesn't fail with their Chicken or Fish choices on a QS level.

But on the Boardwalk I am heading to Big River Grill and eating their Kobe Burger. It is better than any Italian I've had on WDW property. The quality of meat is over the top as is the prep along with the yummy bun.

6241447487_025cb742bd.jpg

PrincessNelly_NJ

Not to mention that a new Italian restaurant called Ravello will be opening at the FS on property as well.
Offering breakfast with an omelette station and other items.
Then dinner will have "pasta bar" and food will be cooked in front of you.
Ravello-Four-Seasons-Orlando-672x420.jpg
Ravello-Four-Seasons-Orlando-2-672x420.jpg
Ravello-Bar-Four-Seasons-Orlando-560x420.jpg

Disney doesn't need anymore Italian restaurants unless it will be high quality.

Bocabear

I am glad to hear someone say something good about Big River...I have eaten there a few times over the years and have always had a dismal experience... sub par quality bar food... Looks like they have upped their game with burgers... that is a step in the right direction!!

Bocabear

I think they will continue to have the Pizza window...so...
Il Mulino is next door at The Swan, and they do a lovely job with Italian... Italian is really the last thing they need in that location...lol

lunchbox1175

I don't know about you guys, but every time I go, Via Napoli is booked up and not taking reservations, we always have one, but there are always legions of people that walk up trying to get a table that can't. Demand is a great reason to put another restaurant of similar style within close proximity, this will help drive business at lunch time to the Boardwalk as well, for the most part it is a ghost town over there at lunch.

Bocabear

I have eaten at Via Napoli maybe 8 times and have never had a reservation...
maybe i am just lucky, but we always seem to get in...

Dvcden

Post of the Day!

Tony's has been open in the MK for about 25 years and they still can't pull of Italian Food worthy of the price. It is a shame. How difficult is it to hire and Executive Chef that would finally turn that restaurant around? (If they did I'd give them a permit for wine with a meal too.) I've yet to find Italian Food in Disney that I'd give more than a passable rating and most serving Italian I'd fail. Food critics outside of the World would likely not give them a Star.

I ate pizza pie at Via Napoli in 2012 it was delicious. Ate there in 2014 and it wasn't very good and the atmosphere was horrid, backed up ADRs and tables that were not bussed. Nothing like paying for hasty made pie and sitting next to a table that sat unbussed for over 30 minutes. It will be a while before I return to Via Napoli's.

They can't cook real Italian food because the water in Florida is loaded with sulphur ....no mater how you filter it you will never get the water right and water is a HUGE part of a good sauce...that being said Il Mulino in the swan isn't half bad! You should check it out, it's not as good as the Ny or lv Locations but for Florida is great

Dvcden

Has there been any info on whether or not this new restaurant will offer breakfast? Boardwalk bakery is nice, but sometimes you just need more than muffins and bagels. Walking to the Beach Club is a lame solution for an entire hotel and DVC populace.

If you request they can make bacon egg and cheese at the bakery ;) Best your gonna get there with out dropping $40 a head at cape May across the lake lol

Gabe1

They can't cook real Italian food because the water in Florida is loaded with sulphur ....no mater how you filter it you will never get the water right and water is a HUGE part of a good sauce...that being said Il Mulino in the swan isn't half bad! You should check it out, it's not as good as the Ny or lv Locations but for Florida is great
Bull!

We have our national conference in Orlando. There are some amazing chefs outside wdw that have skills.
One of the best catered a closed park event at universal for our convention

All chefs deal with water issues in Orlando and worldwide. To say it only harms the Italian restaurants is silly. There are award winning restaurants on wdw property those chefs can do it. Never hear this weak water argument from the guests or chefs at Victoria and Alberts.

Edit: Here is the restaurant I have eaten at while out in Orlando while attending conferences.
http://www.christinis.com/menu/ Repeat 5 star restaurant, award winning and ranked currently as the best restaurant in Orlando even with the water of Florida. Just because Disney can't pull off Italian doesn't mean others can't. Disney just chooses not to.

bullet_star.png
The Ivy Award

bullet_star.png
Nation’s Restaurant News Fine Dining Hall Of Fame Award

bullet_star.png
Di Rona Distinguished Restaurant of North America Award

bullet_star.png
Best of the Best Five Star Diamond Award
bullet_star.png
Best Award of Excellence - Wine Spectator magazine, one of the best wine lists in
the world

bullet_star.png
The International Award of Excellence

bullet_star.png
The Epicurean Award for the Outstanding Cuisine and Service

bullet_star.png
Zagat – “ a treasure among restaurants”
bullet_star.png
The Golden Spoon Award

bullet_star.png
AAA Four Diamond Award

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

If you request they can make bacon egg and cheese at the bakery ;) Best your gonna get there with out dropping $40 a head at cape May across the lake lol
Just saying - Captain's Grille offers some interesting à la carte dishes (such as a lobster omelet) and a $19-20 breakfast buffet. Everyone seems to forget it's an option in the Epcot resort area.

Dvcden

Bull!

We have our national conference in Orlando. There are some amazing chefs outside wdw that have skills.
One of the best catered a closed park event at universal for our convention

All chefs deal with water issues in Orlando and worldwide. To say it only harms the Italian restaurants is silly. There are award winning restaurants on wdw property those chefs can do it. Never hear this weak water argument from the guests or chefs at Victoria and Alberts.

Edit: Here is the restaurant I have eaten at while out in Orlando while attending conferences.
http://www.christinis.com/menu/ Repeat 5 star restaurant, award winning and ranked currently as the best restaurant in Orlando even with the water of Florida. Just because Disney can't pull off Italian doesn't mean others can't. Disney just chooses not to.

bullet_star.png
The Ivy Award

bullet_star.png
Nation’s Restaurant News Fine Dining Hall Of Fame Award

bullet_star.png
Di Rona Distinguished Restaurant of North America Award

bullet_star.png
Best of the Best Five Star Diamond Award
bullet_star.png
Best Award of Excellence - Wine Spectator magazine, one of the best wine lists in
the world

bullet_star.png
The International Award of Excellence

bullet_star.png
The Epicurean Award for the Outstanding Cuisine and Service

bullet_star.png
Zagat – “ a treasure among restaurants”
bullet_star.png
The Golden Spoon Award

bullet_star.png
AAA Four Diamond Award

you clearly don't know good Italian food then lol no one said they can't make good food in Florida just that they can't make good Italian food and I've yet to find an a Italian restraunt in Florida that makes a sauce better than one you find in a bottle... travel to the north east and eat at Sally's or pepes in CT or il Mulino in NYC ... then you will know real Italian food

Hockey89

you clearly don't know good Italian food then lol no one said they can't make good food in Florida just that they can't make good Italian food and I've yet to find an a Italian restraunt in Florida that makes a sauce better than one you find in a bottle... travel to the north east and eat at Sally's or pepes in CT or il Mulino in NYC ... then you will know real Italian food
So a pizza place in New Haven is real Italian food lol.... You need to get out more if that's your idea of reall awesome Italian food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom