Tramway project and security relocation at TTC.

Rider

I remember when those trees were removed. I think it was just a "this area is a little overgrown" than anything else. It happened about 2-3 years ago and they just planted smaller plants instead.

Monorail_Red_77

I remember when those trees were removed. I think it was just a "this area is a little overgrown" than anything else. It happened about 2-3 years ago and they just planted smaller plants instead.
Yep I remember that as well.

I think of old Uncle Orville. No progress at all around here.

LOL

roj2323

Original Poster
Anyone got updated photos from the monorail perspective? I'd post them myself but I haven't been able to get over there as of late.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, October 26. Not the greatest photo, but looking at ground level, it appears the concrete planters around the monorail beam supports are being reconstructed to be smaller than before. The concrete planter under the beam in the left foreground is a new, smaller planter around a large pipeline valve.

IMG_8529.JPG

Goofyernmost

Photo update as of Wednesday, October 26. Not the greatest photo, but looking at ground level, it appears the concrete planters around the monorail beam supports are being reconstructed to be smaller than before. The concrete planter under the beam in the left foreground is a new, smaller planter around a large pipeline valve.

View attachment 171728
Looks like it is close to the time to power wash the monorail beams. They look nasty and all they really need is a cleaning. 40+ years of grim is removable and would be welcomed. Of all the things they need to do, it is probably one of the least expensive.

GrumpyFan

Looks like it is close to the time to power wash the monorail beams. They look nasty and all they really need is a cleaning. 40+ years of grim is removable and would be welcomed. Of all the things they need to do, it is probably one of the least expensive.

Seems like I remember them doing this just a couple years ago. Regardless, I think they do this every so often.
Believe it or not, it's not as quick and easy as a simple power wash with a high pressure sprayer. It's kind of a delicate process. Power washing too frequently can cause a break-down of the concrete, due to the high pressure removing not only mold, dirt, grease, rubber, etc. but also bits of concrete as well. So, they have to gently wash the concrete in a way that doesn't cause damage that could prove to be dangerous.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The majority of the TTC's design is as out of place and date as the backlot tour was. Disney should start over and make it functional and an interesting place to be. It's gotten to be a real sketch place to start or end your MK visit at.

roj2323

Original Poster
The majority of the TTC's design is as out of place and date as the backlot tour was. Disney should start over and make it functional and an interesting place to be. It's gotten to be a real sketch place to start or end your MK visit at.

I will agree that it needs a refresh. The brick is pretty worn out and it could use some new color on the buildings. I have a feeling however that we will see this addressed over the next year.

jt04

I will agree that it needs a refresh. The brick is pretty worn out and it could use some new color on the buildings. I have a feeling however that we will see this addressed over the next year.

Would rather the move towards a long term solution. Like incorporating the TTC into a new monorail resort which also functions as a transportation hub on the ground level.

Goofyernmost

Seems like I remember them doing this just a couple years ago. Regardless, I think they do this every so often.
Believe it or not, it's not as quick and easy as a simple power wash with a high pressure sprayer. It's kind of a delicate process. Power washing too frequently can cause a break-down of the concrete, due to the high pressure removing not only mold, dirt, grease, rubber, etc. but also bits of concrete as well. So, they have to gently wash the concrete in a way that doesn't cause damage that could prove to be dangerous.
It doesn't surprise me that they might be using that as an excuse for not doing it, especially since it needs to be done at night. I'm thinking all that electricity going to the rails on those beams wouldn't be to great to spray water on. But, at least those beams that have the most exposure in the close sight range of the public should be maintained better. They do make sealing compound to protect the beams from water and I would be amazed if they don't use that already. That last thing Disney can afford to have happen is to have an accident because of corrosion on the beams. If memory serves me it rains fairly often in Florida.

Obobru

I am surprised Disney never designed some kind of small drive along beam cleaner with soft brushes and some form of cleaning fluid when they designed the monorail system. It would be easy to drive around at night cleaning portions of the track.

Monorail_Red_77

They do have a repair car that they pull behind one of diesel tow engines. I've seen video of them using it for repair work on the beam bus bars in front of MK once. I assume they use this for when they clean them beams as well. But that would be cool if they had a special designed car just for washing the beams.

roj2323

Original Poster
How is the pre-screening done for those arriving by monorail or boat? Is there screening in front of each transportation entrance at the resorts and the TTC?

For example, on one day I have an brunch ADR at Narcoosees then plan to monorail hop to checkout the resorts and maybe quickly jump into MK to shop the Emporium. For this security plan to work and be pre-screened, in my plan I guess I would need to be screened at the GF monorail or boat entrance even if never wanting to enter MK. Looks like screening would be needed at the monorail and/or boat entrances at CR, Poly, GF, and WL. Bus screening is handled as you indicate.

I think a better solution is pre-screening for express monorail and ferry guests at the TTC. Then route them directly to the entrance after they disembark. Resort monorail and boat transportation are directed to the same screening moved farther back from the entrance. CR pathway and bus have their own screening as well.

• Prescreening at TTC for both the ferry boats and monorails.
  • Prescreening at the resorts for Monorail and Boat transportation.
  • Bus guests would be screened at MK before passing under the monorail lines.

ABQ

• Prescreening at TTC for both the ferry boats and monorails.
  • Prescreening at the resorts for Monorail and Boat transportation.
  • Bus guests would be screened at MK before passing under the monorail lines.
If this comes to pass, I'll be curious about how the prescreening process would work for the launch boats from a resort like the Wilderness Lodge. There certainly isn't enough room on the wooden walkway for any legitimate screening process. I also cannot envision them placing metal detectors in the lobby. Not calling you out for your post, just curious how they could fit it all in.

Creathir

If this comes to pass, I'll be curious about how the prescreening process would work for the launch boats from a resort like the Wilderness Lodge. There certainly isn't enough room on the wooden walkway for any legitimate screening process. I also cannot envision them placing metal detectors in the lobby. Not calling you out for your post, just curious how they could fit it all in.

You would screen before you enter the dock, at the waters edge.

Fort Wilderness is the most complicated because it is a shared dock with rentals. CR is to a degree, but a lot of room to work with there.

ABQ

You would screen before you enter the dock, at the waters edge.

Fort Wilderness is the most complicated because it is a shared dock with rentals. CR is to a degree, but a lot of room to work with there.
It's still such a narrow wooden raised platform there, with arrivals and departures on the same path. Further, I've seen that dock stacked with people as it is today, with a checkpoint, they'll be backed up all the way to Roaring Fork.11-1-2016 8-46-00 AM.jpg

Creathir

It's still such a narrow wooden raised platform there, with arrivals and departures on the same path. Further, I've seen that dock stacked with people as it is today, with a checkpoint, they'll be backed up all the way to Roaring Fork.View attachment 172644
Some of those trees may have to come down and the dock over the land widened. Plenty of room to do that in right there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom