Training transition from 13 miles to 26 miles, I have questions.... Help please.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I try to keep to myself about the running. My wife is always interested in what I do, but I don't want to bore her with my calculations and pacing issues. I try to keep it, "oh this is what I saw today on my run..."
Non of my friends are runners and I don't really want "running friends" Talking to you folks is cool, but I think if I had to sit down to dinner or coffee with another person comparing running notes, I might get up and...run. *NOT YOU JOEL OR DAVE! YOU GUYS ARE A-OK!* :wave:
NO, but seriously, I keep to myself. No positive, uplifting energy radiating from me, exept when running. :D

Phonedave

I try to keep to myself about the running. My wife is always interested in what I do, but I don't want to bore her with my calculations and pacing issues. I try to keep it, "oh this is what I saw today on my run..."
Non of my friends are runners and I don't really want "running friends" Talking to you folks is cool, but I think if I had to sit down to dinner or coffee with another person comparing running notes, I might get up and...run. *NOT YOU JOEL OR DAVE! YOU GUYS ARE A-OK!* :wave:
NO, but seriously, I keep to myself. No positive, uplifting energy radiating from me, exept when running. :D

:D

Thanks for that

I don't really talk to most people about it either unless they ask, and even then I try to keep it short a sweet. I know a few people who are data crazy as well - most are cyclists though. They are even more insane (in a good way). Talking about special cranks that measure the torque on the hub so you can convert that to watts and compute your energy output over the course. Crazy (or maybe I am really just jealous that they don't make that for running shoes)

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
:D Thanks Nick

:D

Thanks for that

I don't really talk to most people about it either unless they ask, and even then I try to keep it short a sweet. I know a few people who are data crazy as well - most are cyclists though. They are even more insane (in a good way). Talking about special cranks that measure the torque on the hub so you can convert that to watts and compute your energy output over the course. Crazy (or maybe I am really just jealous that they don't make that for running shoes)

-dave
Holy Cow. Im not sure I could afford that sport. That sounds like a lot of techy stuff that costs a lot of tech money. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
:D Thanks Nick

Holy Cow. Im not sure I could afford that sport. That sounds like a lot of techy stuff that costs a lot of tech money. :lol:
My last mountain bike was around $1500 in 1998 and it was considered to be just above the bottom of high end bikes. A co worker of mine would buy a new bike about ever 12-18 months and would typically drop around $4000-$5000 per bike.

joel_maxwell

My last mountain bike was around $1500 in 1998 and it was considered to be just above the bottom of high end bikes. A co worker of mine would buy a new bike about ever 12-18 months and would typically drop around $4000-$5000 per bike.
Yup. I just cant afford that sport. I bought my current mtn bike in 1994. Specialized Rock Hopper with added Rock Shox. I paid $599 + $175 for the shox with summer cutting grass money. I think that is why im so attached to that bike. It was my very first major purchase.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yup. I just cant afford that sport. I bought my current mtn bike in 1994. Specialized Rock Hopper with added Rock Shox. I paid $599 + $175 for the shox with summer cutting grass money. I think that is why im so attached to that bike. It was my very first major purchase.
My last bike was a Gary Fisher Joshua F4 full suspension. I upgraded the rear derailer, added clipless pedals and a computer and changed the saddle. I keep debating on getting into riding again but it would cost a few hundred to make it ride worthy again as it has been sitting since about 2001.

joel_maxwell

My last bike was a Gary Fisher Joshua F4 full suspension. I upgraded the rear derailer, added clipless pedals and a computer and changed the saddle. I keep debating on getting into riding again but it would cost a few hundred to make it ride worthy again as it has been sitting since about 2001.
Mine has been hanging in an non-climate controlled garage. The wires to the brakes and gears has so much slack in them, they would even brake or change the gear. Major tune up too.

Since we are about the same height, I would assume it is around a 19 inch size? Granted, im not sure how they size Full Suspension bikes. Might be the same, not sure. If so, if you ever sell it, run it by me first. :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Mine has been hanging in an non-climate controlled garage. The wires to the brakes and gears has so much slack in them, they would even brake or change the gear. Major tune up too.

Since we are about the same height, I would assume it is around a 19 inch size? Granted, im not sure how they size Full Suspension bikes. Might be the same, not sure. If so, if you ever sell it, run it by me first. :D
The rim size was 26". I believe the frame was what they considered a medium.

EDIT: Quite honestly I might never ride the thing again. If you really want it make the trip to J-ville, buy me dinner at Beach Road Chicken and we will call it even. I also have a Gary Fisher Montare hard tail I can throw in with the deal.

Phonedave

I stole my brothers Giant Iguana because he never rides it.

I brought it back to a decent condition. I think I may throw a suspension fork on it.

I have no time for "real" bike riding. I can barely fit in running :)

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I stole my brothers Giant Iguana because he never rides it.

I brought it back to a decent condition. I think I may throw a suspension fork on it.

I have no time for "real" bike riding. I can barely fit in running :)

-dave
Quite true. If you live close to a good set of trails it is no too bad but if you don't it could be quite a haul. I would commonly ride at Hanna Park at Jax beach simply because it was close. My preferred trail was in White Springs which was about a 3 hour drive round trip.

joel_maxwell

The rim size was 26". I believe the frame was what they considered a medium.

EDIT: Quite honestly I might never ride the thing again. If you really want it make the trip to J-ville, buy me dinner at Beach Road Chicken and we will call it even. I also have a Gary Fisher Montare hard tail I can throw in with the deal.
Yep, my old Rock Hopper has 26' on it (why does that sound so thug? "yeewhha, I got some dubs on it!")

Dude, I could buy the restaurant for what I would owe you on those bikes. That place looks like a true dive and I bet it is AWESOME!

Those cranks go for upwards of $1,000

-dave
That is ridiculous.

Quite true. If you live close to a good set of trails it is no too bad but if you don't it could be quite a haul. I would commonly ride at Hanna Park at Jax beach simply because it was close. My preferred trail was in White Springs which was about a 3 hour drive round trip.
Yes, we have a great state park that has incredible trails. They have the Xterra Challenge out there. However, it is about a 30 minute drive to get there. Not too shabby, but it is a 30 second walk from my front door to the corner of 7th ave were I start running. :animwink:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Dude, I could buy the restaurant for what I would owe you on those bikes. That place looks like a true dive and I bet it is AWESOME!
That is is. It is an old house that was built somewhere between the 1900's-1920's I think. The molding in the main room is old plaster molding formed by hand using a template. It was converted into a restaurant in 1939. Back then they raised the chickens out back. They expanded the dining room about 20 years ago but other than that noting has really changed about the place since it opened. They even kept the name of the place the same when the road it is located on changed its name to Atlantic Blvd. The fried chicken there is about the best you will find anywhere.

joel_maxwell

That is is. It is an old house that was built somewhere between the 1900's-1920's I think. The molding in the main room is old plaster molding formed by hand using a template. It was converted into a restaurant in 1939. Back then they raised the chickens out back. They expanded the dining room about 20 years ago but other than that noting has really changed about the place since it opened. They even kept the name of the place the same when the road it is located on changed its name to Atlantic Blvd. The fried chicken there is about the best you will find anywhere.
We will hit that place one day. I promise. Looks excellent.

JillC LI

My last bike was a cute shiny green number that my parents bought me when I was 16 years old. Shall I admit that it's my current bike as well 25 years later!?! It's still perfect for family bike rides (although more often than not, I run while my hubby and/or kids accompany me on their bikes). :)

joel_maxwell

I have always found it humorous the difference in approaches and guidance that you can find on different sites. They contradict other peoples beliefs and teachings. That is fine, there is a different style for everyone.... but I love this one I read today on active.com

11. Some marathoners actually think that walking during the race will improve their times. If we suggested to these same people that running more slowly during the event would upgrade their performances, they would laugh in our faces, but somehow they buy the walking concept lock, stock and barrel! No one needs to walk during the marathon; we can all learn to run the entire distance -- our times will not improve if we train to amble slowly during specific portions of the race.

Im glad Im educated enough to make my own decisions and not listen 100% to these guys. Run a 5K, 10K and maybe 13.1 without stopping yes. 26.2 without walking once to reset, please. Not this runner.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have always found it humorous the difference in approaches and guidance that you can find on different sites. They contradict other peoples beliefs and teachings. That is fine, there is a different style for everyone.... but I love this one I read today on active.com

11. Some marathoners actually think that walking during the race will improve their times. If we suggested to these same people that running more slowly during the event would upgrade their performances, they would laugh in our faces, but somehow they buy the walking concept lock, stock and barrel! No one needs to walk during the marathon; we can all learn to run the entire distance -- our times will not improve if we train to amble slowly during specific portions of the race.

Im glad Im educated enough to make my own decisions and not listen 100% to these guys. Run a 5K, 10K and maybe 13.1 without stopping yes. 26.2 without walking once to reset, please. Not this runner.
There actually is some logic to that hypothesis the truth would however will vary from person to person. No matter what you are doing, running, mowing lawns, or even playing video games you will reach a point where fatigue causes you performance to decline. If you take some sort of a break your performance will tend to approve. The key is how much and is it enough to offset the break.

joel_maxwell

There actually is some logic to that hypothesis the truth would however will vary from person to person. No matter what you are doing, running, mowing lawns, or even playing video games you will reach a point where fatigue causes you performance to decline. If you take some sort of a break your performance will tend to approve. The key is how much and is it enough to offset the break.
I would say that was my thinking for the longest time.

"If I walk once, the second time will be easier, and the third time I walk I wont even think about it. It will just happen"

Then, as I compared my running times this past summer to days I walked for 30 seconds after every 3 miles (since it was 90+ degrees) and days I made myself keep running and no walk breaks. The results were interesting. The times were the same or better.

I would take 1 or 2 30 second walk breaks on a 10 mile run just to take fluids and GU. I would always feel extremely rested after that little mental break.

I guess it is "whatever works for you" type mentality which is the beauty of it. I just find all the different mentalities entertaining since I am at peace with what i want to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom