Training transition from 13 miles to 26 miles, I have questions.... Help please.

Wilt Dasney

Mine is local here in Birmingham. It is the Mercedes February 13th. That is the difference in schedules. Im interested to do the Hal Higdon. i havent done his yet.
Well, best of luck. So far, I'm enjoying Hal's program. The mileage progression is gradual and logical.

Also, I find myself looking forward to the "stepback" long runs every third week more than I thought I would. When you're a n00b like me, and every long run is your longest run ever, it helps to have that "reset" every third week where you know it's a distance you've already handled. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but like you guys have said, I'm surprised at how much of this is mental. :shrug:

JillC LI

Wow, same as me. I ran a 5K for the first time May 1, and I'm determined to do the WDW full in January.

Some of you guys like Donald Duck and Phonedave have mentioned stretching out your glycogen stores through nutrition...can you be a little more specific? What should you eat, and for how long before a long run? I pretty much eat like crap, and so far have gotten away with it. :shrug:

And do it you shall with that determination!
Again, I have to recommend the Dave Whitsett book because it addresses nutrition and all that. (No, I do not have stock in his company! LOL. That book was my Bible though when training for my first marathon.) Slower beginner runners are on the course far longer than faster runners and, as such, really need to replenish their glycogen stores while running. My rule of thumb for any run over 12 miles is to alternate drinking gatorade and water (about half of a fuel belt bottle) every mile starting at 4 miles. Every hour I either eat a fuel bar or down a Power Gel (ugh) to keep up the carbs. The night before any run over 12 miles, I'll eat pasta, but the experts say you shouldn't overload or you will be sick to your stomach. Other than that, I'm not a particularly healthy eater :D

JillC LI

Well, best of luck. So far, I'm enjoying Hal's program. The mileage progression is gradual and logical.

Also, I find myself looking forward to the "stepback" long runs every third week more than I thought I would. When you're a n00b like me, and every long run is your longest run ever, it helps to have that "reset" every third week where you know it's a distance you've already handled. I'm sure it's a mental thing, but like you guys have said, I'm surprised at how much of this is mental. :shrug:

The crazy thing is when you start saying things to your family and friends like "Whew, I ONLY have to run 12 miles this weekend" and you truly mean it! :ROFLOL:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The crazy thing is when you start saying things to your family and friends like "Whew, I ONLY have to run 12 miles this weekend" and you truly mean it! :ROFLOL:
My mom called this weekend and asked how the 5K went. I said fine. It was a nice little run. She laughed and said, yes, I bet that was nothing for you.

It kind of gives you that little confidence boost sometimes. :D

joel_maxwell

And do it you shall with that determination!
Again, I have to recommend the Dave Whitsett book because it addresses nutrition and all that. (No, I do not have stock in his company! LOL. That book was my Bible though when training for my first marathon.) Slower beginner runners are on the course far longer than faster runners and, as such, really need to replenish their glycogen stores while running. My rule of thumb for any run over 12 miles is to alternate drinking gatorade and water (about half of a fuel belt bottle) every mile starting at 4 miles. Every hour I either eat a fuel bar or down a Power Gel (ugh) to keep up the carbs. The night before any run over 12 miles, I'll eat pasta, but the experts say you shouldn't overload or you will be sick to your stomach. Other than that, I'm not a particularly healthy eater :D
I had been reading the Zen the Art of Running and I am about half way through. i think it is a great book, but I just cant seem to get more than 5 pages deep before I start falling asleep. :lol: It is a good book from an information standpoint, but the writing on the subject can be boring. Weird combo.

Since you twisted my arm, I looked on Amazon and got it for $10 including shipping. It will be here in 2-6 days. Very excited. Thanks for the reference.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My mom called this weekend and asked how the 5K went. I said fine. It was a nice little run. She laughed and said, yes, I bet that was nothing for you.

It kind of gives you that little confidence boost sometimes. :D
Joel, if you told me that you were going to learn how to fly just by flapping your arms it would not surprise me in the least to see you flying overhead.

JillC LI

Since you twisted my arm, I looked on Amazon and got it for $10 including shipping. It will be here in 2-6 days. Very excited. Thanks for the reference.

LOL, I sure hope you find it useful now! I actually couldn't put it down the first time I read it. It was the first thing that truly made me believe that I could finish a marathon. It was rather dog-eared by the actual marathon. :)

joel_maxwell

Joel, if you told me that you were going to learn how to fly just by flapping your arms it would not surprise me in the least to see you flying overhead.

That's one of the nicest things I've ever heard anyone say to another person. Truly.
Holy Cow. Tell me about it. Thanks Richard. It means a lot coming from you and is a very special. :D We have know each other for about 5-6 years I guess? A very nice statement from a very kind person Jill.

:wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's one of the nicest things I've ever heard anyone say to another person. Truly.
Just speaking the truth. Joel is one of those people that when he gets a goal in his head that it is not a matter of if but when. I am just trying to figure out a way to convince him to set depositing a million bucks in my checking account as a goal.:lol:

JillC LI

Holy Cow. Tell me about it. Thanks Richard. It means a lot coming from you and is a very special. :D We have know each other for about 5-6 years I guess? A very nice statement from a very kind person Jill.

:wave:

Clearly there are alot of very nice people at KK. I've worked with Denise twice now, and she's terrific! But comments like Richard's are truly touching.

lukacseven

One of the things I've done in the past (when training for the Goofy Challenge) was to run a marathon as a training run. The Philadlephia marathon is the weekend before Thanksgiving and gives me a good idea of where I'm at. Strangely enough I ran my marathon P.R. at Philly while preparing for Goofy. I try to target a 22 mile max long run about 3 weeks prior to the marathon as part of my training. I think in that particular case, I was only up to 16-18 miles about 6 weeks out.

The most defined "wall" experience I've had was at Disney in '07. Temps were in the 80's and humid. I was running at a relatively fast pace. Animal Kingdom was shady and the sponge stops was awesome, but when I emerged from AK into the parking lot and out onto the highway - no more shade, sun beating down...I hit the wall. As good as I felt up to that point, I struggled the rest of the way. To date, I've never been so completely exhausted in my life.

joel_maxwell

Just speaking the truth. Joel is one of those people that when he gets a goal in his head that it is not a matter of if but when. I am just trying to figure out a way to convince him to set depositing a million bucks in my checking account as a goal.:lol:
Richard, somewhere along the way i got this mentality. Im cant recall the day or even the year... but it has been in the last 6 years if I had to guess. I think it took 29 years to get it. Never too late.

Ill work on that million in your checking account. That my friend, made me laugh out loud. :D

Clearly there are alot of very nice people at KK. I've worked with Denise twice now, and she's terrific! But comments like Richard's are truly touching.
Yes there is. I know 4 of them and speak very very highly of all of them.

One of the things I've done in the past (when training for the Goofy Challenge) was to run a marathon as a training run. The Philadlephia marathon is the weekend before Thanksgiving and gives me a good idea of where I'm at. Strangely enough I ran my marathon P.R. at Philly while preparing for Goofy. I try to target a 22 mile max long run about 3 weeks prior to the marathon as part of my training. I think in that particular case, I was only up to 16-18 miles about 6 weeks out.

The most defined "wall" experience I've had was at Disney in '07. Temps were in the 80's and humid. I was running at a relatively fast pace. Animal Kingdom was shady and the sponge stops was awesome, but when I emerged from AK into the parking lot and out onto the highway - no more shade, sun beating down...I hit the wall. As good as I felt up to that point, I struggled the rest of the way. To date, I've never been so completely exhausted in my life.
I can now say I know the stretch you are referring too and I cant imagine what it felt like in the blazing sun. I was at that point around 10:45 i guess a few weeks ago and it was a tough stretch. Nice job completing that. :wave:

fmingo36

Joel,

Thanks for asking this question. And reading the corresponding posts have been helpful.
I have also decided to go for the glory and register for the full marathon this January. I now have 2 half-marathons under my belt (The Princess and the Wine and Dine) and figure I'm already in pretty good shape to continue training to run the full marathon.
I must admit I'm scared $h*tless just thinking about the magnitude of this endeavor. With 2 small children at home and my husband working out of state, I know that training is not going to be easy (especially getting my long run in).
But I know between running and walking I pretty confident that I can accomplish the 26.2 within the allocated time. I'm not saying I'm running the whole thing or even setting a time goal. I'll get to the finish line when I get to the finish line---but the important thing is that I'll get to the finish line!
I can't believe I only starting running a year ago (last September I couldn't run for 3 minutes straight!) and now I'm a training for a MARATHON!

frank2271

Original Poster
Joel,

Thanks for asking this question. And reading the corresponding posts have been helpful.
I have also decided to go for the glory and register for the full marathon this January. I now have 2 half-marathons under my belt (The Princess and the Wine and Dine) and figure I'm already in pretty good shape to continue training to run the full marathon.
I must admit I'm scared $h*tless just thinking about the magnitude of this endeavor. With 2 small children at home and my husband working out of state, I know that training is not going to be easy (especially getting my long run in).
But I know between running and walking I pretty confident that I can accomplish the 26.2 within the allocated time. I'm not saying I'm running the whole thing or even setting a time goal. I'll get to the finish line when I get to the finish line---but the important thing is that I'll get to the finish line!
I can't believe I only starting running a year ago (last September I couldn't run for 3 minutes straight!) and now I'm a training for a MARATHON!

I'm in the same boat as you, I wish us both luck. LOL!

I also have run two halfs, W&D and Princess (with my wife). Just the thought of DOUBLE the length is very daunting, but I'm gonna do it if I have to drag myself across the line.

joel_maxwell

Joel,

See below.

I'm in the same boat as you, I wish us both luck. LOL!

I also have run two halfs, W&D and Princess (with my wife). Just the thought of DOUBLE the length is very daunting, but I'm gonna do it if I have to drag myself across the line.
Guys, Im just completed my 3rd at the W&D. We can so do this. I ran 6 this morning. When I was done, I thought to myself, "Self, that is just under half of a half." I felt great. It was weird. I pondered on the training schedule and thought, "Huh, it is weird that 13.1 is soon to become routine to me since I will run more than that about 5 or 6 weeks in a row up to 20 miles." It just didnt scare me.

We can so do this. *pumps fist in the air*

JillC LI

With the positive attitude running rampant in this string, you guys can definitely do it! And I envy the way you will feel when you finish. After the days my children were born and the day I got married, the next greatest day of my life was the day I completed my first marathon.

One tip: as you get caught up on your training and you are consumed by how much you must run, when you must run, what you should wear, what you should eat/drink, the weather, how your body feels, injuries, etc., try not to drive everyone around you crazy hearing these details like I did! :ROFLOL:They put up with it at first, but unless they're fellow runners, they may start to hide when they see you coming! LOL

joel_maxwell

With the positive attitude running rampant in this string, you guys can definitely do it! And I envy the way you will feel when you finish. After the days my children were born and the day I got married, the next greatest day of my life was the day I completed my first marathon.

One tip: as you get caught up on your training and you are consumed by how much you must run, when you must run, what you should wear, what you should eat/drink, the weather, how your body feels, injuries, etc., try not to drive everyone around you crazy hearing these details like I did! :ROFLOL:They put up with it at first, but unless they're fellow runners, they may start to hide when they see you coming! LOL
Funny you mention that. Unless asked... I dont talk about it to friends, family or co-workers. I know it can be annoying, especially to that person at work or friend etc that wishes they could go out and do this but for whatever reason they cant or dont. Those are the people that will hate you the most. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom