Training question???

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
Thanksgiving week, we will be on a cruise for 8 days. I was on this ship last year and there is a track on the top deck. 11 laps makes a mile. Do you vets think it would do better for me to train by running the track or just getting on the treadmill in the gym on the ship?

I know it is just 6 weeks before the half so I want to make sure we do not mess up our training schedule by being on vacation!

Thanks,
Erin

Phonedave

Thanksgiving week, we will be on a cruise for 8 days. I was on this ship last year and there is a track on the top deck. 11 laps makes a mile. Do you vets think it would do better for me to train by running the track or just getting on the treadmill in the gym on the ship?

I know it is just 6 weeks before the half so I want to make sure we do not mess up our training schedule by being on vacation!

Thanks,
Erin

I don't know about on the ship, but in my gym there is a 30 minute time limit on the cardio equipment if people are waiting.

But then running on deck presents it's own problems. Actually it might be a good introduction to running around people.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
If your cruise ship is anything like I have seen, they will have about 30 treadmills. Probably enough to take one for more than 30 minutes. I hate indoor tracks and treadmills, but if I had to choose, I would take the treadmill with the TV instead of a track with that many laps.

Phonedave

If your cruise ship is anything like I have seen, they will have about 30 treadmills. Probably enough to take one for more than 30 minutes. I hate indoor tracks and treadmills, but if I had to choose, I would take the treadmill with the TV instead of a track with that many laps.

If it's like the Disney Wonder or Magic, there is that convoluted section in the bow that is a bunch of 90 degree turns, where they have mirrors up so you don't smack into somebody walking the other way.

-dave

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
Last year, before I was running, I did go up there and see the track and it is pretty much an oval, and the only time i remember people on it much was for the breast cancer walk they had one day.

but i get pretty bored on tracks like that.

Now,the gym, is BEAUTIFUL and the treadmills and elliptical all face this floor to ceiling window with a great view since it is at the very end of the ship. I did use the ellipticals last time, and the only people really in the gym usually were performers from the stage show....lol

Do you get the same workout on a treadmill?

Midnight Garden

When I trained for the full last year, I went on a cruise. I had a 9 mile run scheduled for that week-end. I could never do the treadmill while the ship was moving thing - it didn't work for me. Plus, I just hate running on a treadmill anyways. So I ran the outdoor track. One thing I learned the hard way, since I was never a track runner in high school: CHANGE DIRECTIONS. Every couple of miles, switch your directions. I accidently pulled a calf muscle for running all nine of those miles (what? 99 laps?) in the same direction on such a small track. Fortunately, as I hobbled back to my cabin, I walked past a woman working for the Spa. Within 30 minutes I was in the Spa having that calf muscle worked out. On my ship, there were a few other people that used the track - I wasn't the only person out there each morning. And I'd go out early so there'd be less of a chance of people out and in my way, walking around the track, just exploring the ship vs actually walking/running the track. Give me the fresh sea air over a stuffy treadmill any day. Especially for anything over three miles.

Phonedave

When I trained for the full last year, I went on a cruise. I had a 9 mile run scheduled for that week-end. I could never do the treadmill while the ship was moving thing - it didn't work for me. Plus, I just hate running on a treadmill anyways. So I ran the outdoor track. One thing I learned the hard way, since I was never a track runner in high school: CHANGE DIRECTIONS. Every couple of miles, switch your directions. I accidently pulled a calf muscle for running all nine of those miles (what? 99 laps?) in the same direction on such a small track. Fortunately, as I hobbled back to my cabin, I walked past a woman working for the Spa. Within 30 minutes I was in the Spa having that calf muscle worked out. On my ship, there were a few other people that used the track - I wasn't the only person out there each morning. And I'd go out early so there'd be less of a chance of people out and in my way, walking around the track, just exploring the ship vs actually walking/running the track. Give me the fresh sea air over a stuffy treadmill any day. Especially for anything over three miles.

Very often ship tracks are one way only - otherwise you end up running into each other, which hurts a lot more than a pulled calf.

-dave

frank2271

I'll be on the Oasis of the Seas for a week in November. I am also a little worried about how my training will be affected since the WDW full is just around the corner. I don't like treads, they make my knees hurt. I have read that the Oasis' track is really nice. It's also quite long since the ship is so big. I am hoping to stay on the track, but if it doesn't work out I'll hit the treads, :(

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
I will have to check on the directional thing........I cannot for the life of me remember if it was one way or not, but changing that up sounds like a really good idea.

Thanks for all of the input!

mraphael

Just got back from my Disney cruise and I only got to run once...The water was very rough and running on the treadmill early one morning I almost fell off.....I didn't even try the track on my next scheduled run day because we were at sea and the boat was rocking! I think I would have fallen down. I did get up early (545am) so that I could be on a treadmill first thing. There was only a few people there working out, so it wasn't an issue.

Thank goodness it was a low mileage week and I was able to jump back into training (14 miles yesterday) without a problem.

Midnight Garden

Very often ship tracks are one way only - otherwise you end up running into each other, which hurts a lot more than a pulled calf.

-dave

Mine wasn't - it was two way and people were going different directions. I was on RCI.

Edited to add: I was on the Jewel.

Frank - I'm sure the track on the Oasis will be larger and much nicer.

Erin - did you mention which cruise line you'll be on?

dreamfinder

I would do both. No real harm to either. I do find however that transitioning from all treadmill during the winter to road in the spring needs a gradual taper. Surface is different enough to cause problems if its a sudden full switch. But just keeping up miles for a week shouldn't be a huge thing. Either should be ok, especially since the track is probably a special surface as well. Both will be different, so just listen to your body and don't push it to hard on either.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Im thinking about doing the Hal Higdon schedule this time around. The only thing that is troublesome, is A) Hal has you running 3 days in a row which im not to much a fan of and B) I cant tell if I would still be a Novice or Intermediate. Looking at the mileage, I think Im still in the Novice category. The Intermediate has you running 5 days a week with a cross training day. I dont think my lifestyle with kids right now can maintain that. I guess it doesnt matter what category, I should look at what i think I can accomplish with all my other responsibilities.

JillC LI

Last year, before I was running, I did go up there and see the track and it is pretty much an oval, and the only time i remember people on it much was for the breast cancer walk they had one day.

but i get pretty bored on tracks like that.

Now,the gym, is BEAUTIFUL and the treadmills and elliptical all face this floor to ceiling window with a great view since it is at the very end of the ship. I did use the ellipticals last time, and the only people really in the gym usually were performers from the stage show....lol

Do you get the same workout on a treadmill?

Given the # of laps required to complete a mile, and the great view you describe from the treadmills, I'd choose the treadmills hands-down.

Do you get the same workout on a treadmill? Not quite because you don't have to push off as much, plus it doesn't train your body for the pavement of the actual race. However, one week of training on a treadmill vs. a track isn't going to make one iota of different to you under the circumstances. :wave:

lukacseven

Track. I just joined a new gym because they have an indoor track. I live in an area where the winters can be cold and snowy and it is difficult to train for a January marathon in those conditions. I definitely prefer the track to the treadmill. It's good to mix it up for a change of pace, but I don;t feel as well prepared training on a treadmill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom