TR - The 'all in' family Cruise and Vaction

Disneyfalcon

Finally caught up!
Oops! You are correct, more than one person can't log in at the same time if you're linked. But once you're linked it is super easy!
Boo to Eric!
I totally agree about the spa. I don't even like to go on tours anymore because of the pushiness. You can request that they right "No Sales Pitch" in your reservation, but even that doesn't always work.
You bought a diamond ring? You rock.
That ziplining looks awesome and the iguana was horrifying.
I'm sorry you didn't have great weather at Castaway Cay, but glad you got to go!
The cruise portion was great! Can't wait for more! :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
I only wish I could have caught the scale of the Iguana... It totally felt like a movie!

In hindsight, for linked reservations, have one person do it all :)

Something else I forgot to cover.. the new texting in the DCL app. The DCL app was pretty new on our last cruise, and it was awesome. It organized things how I liked it, the filtering was good, the favorites+reminders was great... and it worked on all our apple devices just fine.

The new texting feature? A bit of a train wreck! First, the setup is not bad, you log in with your name and stateroom info and it gives you a contact ID. That ID must be manually shared (IE told..) to someone and then you show up in their contact list. Texting works like you would expect... at first.

First thing, like the rest of the Disney app, it really only works when you are connected to the ship's wifi. That's not bad in itself, but in port days it really makes the technology in your face if the person is trying to use their carrier's internet too... so lots of airport mode/on/off in port days. It's ok.. I'm used to support, I got all our group through it no problem.

But it was all downhill from there. It doesn't quite work like a text message when it comes to notifications if you aren't in the app. It would appear on the front screen, but wouldn't always make the phone vibrate or beep. I never did work out the exact scenario of why it wouldn't... but between silent mode and other variables... it just didn't set off the phone alerts like normal SMS always will.

Next, we found the app would frequently think it was off the wifi, even though the device was. This meant you got no texts at all... until you opened the app and then it magically refreshed and found the network. net result... no texts unless you were in the app! This seemed to be a recurring problem on everyone's devices (5s,4s, android). The best I can tell, it seems if the phone lost wifi, and recovered it, the app would not refresh and get back to the network.. instead staying offline.

Lastly... for some reason on my wife's iphone5s... the app was frequently crashing, and by the second day just refused to work at all. She was running 7.1 os, while I was running 7.1.2... but of course this was all my fault in her eyes why it didn't work.. so no app at all for her the whole cruise.

Summary: Texting in the App = pretty bad fail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom