Toy Story Playland

Kman101

I can't begin to explain how disappointing DCA 1.0 was to me. Particularly the Pier. The Pier was a much hated part of the park by many people. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who liked it. It was pretty from across the lagoon but up close it was

westcot2_dca2006ww.jpg

Oh I remember. And I just shuddered a bit seeing that picture. I was there before the big makeover.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can't begin to explain how disappointing DCA 1.0 was to me. Particularly the Pier. The Pier was a much hated part of the park by many people. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who liked it. It was pretty from across the lagoon but up close it was

westcot2_dca2006ww.jpg

This was bloody awful, There are SOME cuts which I applaud TWDC for making this one leads that list. This was during DCA 1.0 when the Tortilla factory and the Bakery were E-tickets there.

EPCOTCenterLover

The difference is there is a world class, boardwalk themed roller coaster anchoring that area.

I would disagree. As much as Screamin' is a fun coaster, there's no theming at all. Even the backstage areas are not hidden from view at ground level upon the end of the ride. It wouldn't take much to fix a few things, but they haven't done it. It's VERY Six Flags for the Disney crowd.

EPCOTCenterLover

My first visit to DCA, Fall of 2001, I just wanted to cry. For a second park next to perhaps the greatest theme park ever, DCA was a shopping mall entrance, mostly exposed steel and backstage "magic", a cheap carnival, and a lot of films seen at other Disney parks. It's MUCH better now, but it still needs a lot of work. Compared to EPCOT Center as a 2nd park, my how the mighty had fallen!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would disagree. As much as Screamin' is a fun coaster, there's no theming at all. Even the backstage areas are not hidden from view at ground level upon the end of the ride. It wouldn't take much to fix a few things, but they haven't done it. It's VERY Six Flags for the Disney crowd.

Have to agree and disagree - Yes the coasters lack theming so they are Six Flags in that respect, However the coasters on the Atlantic shores their theme is genteel neglect especially so at Coney Island. So I don't blame Disney for not copying that aspect and the originals themselves have no theming - so in this case they are authentic to the theme.

EPCOTCenterLover

I don't think there should ever be neglect- even genteel- except for DLP's Phantom Manor, where it's obvious it's supposed to be a haunted and abandoned old house and fits the story of the area.

I think Screamin's lack of care and theming was cheapness and absence of thought. It was also found in abundance in other areas of the park, so it was a pretty consistent thing.

lazyboy97o

I don't think there should ever be neglect- even genteel- except for DLP's Phantom Manor, where it's obvious it's supposed to be a haunted and abandoned old house and fits the story of the area.

I think Screamin's lack of care and theming was cheapness and absence of thought. It was also found in abundance in other areas of the park, so it was a pretty consistent thing.
Paradise Pier traces its origins back through the Boardwalk Resort and Disney's America, well before Disney's California Adventure was conceived. There was also never anything like neglect present at Paradise Pier. It was basic, and that is not the equivalent of run down despite it being a common confusion in discussions of amusements.

Macca250

westcot2_dca2006ww.jpg
Does anyone remember that time that Walt went to ridiculous measures (and purchased over 40 square miles of land) to keep this sort of thing from popping up around any of the company's developments? What on earth were they thinking? :banghead:

Kman101

I just want to point out with The Good Dinosaur. Look at the main dinosaur and then compare the big ol' dinos in Chester and Hester's. After thinking about it, I doubt they'd really re-theme it much if the movie is some massive hit. Unfortunately. I mean, they could at least throw in some trees, foliage and add the Excavator instead of having the well themed areas of Dino Institute, Boneyard and .... Chester and Hester's Garishly Tacky Roadside Carnival.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You want to see neglect check out the Cyclone at Coney Island! But do it soon before coney island becomes a giant gated community

Tony Perkis

You want to see neglect check out the Cyclone at Coney Island! But do it soon before coney island becomes a giant gated community
Considering its age, Cyclone at Coney Island has received exceptional care over the years. That's not a good example of a roller coaster being neglected.

mahnamahna101

The theming is better, sure, but a coaster is still a coaster. I'd hardly call it world class but that's simply my own opinion on it. It doesn't change the fact that area is just as cheaply done as Chester and Hester's and other carnival areas. I'm also critical of Springfield in Universal for this reason.
Why Springfield?

It took a desolate, empty area of the park and made it a place worth visiting. It also added to the attraction count without replacing anything, and provides a plethora of dining/drinking options now.

There's not much more Universal could have done with Springfield unless they bulldozed Animal Actors or used part of the MIB/Springfield mystery plot.

Granted, I'd say there's about three-four things missing:
  1. Power Plant dark ride
  2. Mr. Burns' mansion
  3. Evergreen Terrace walkthrough
  4. actual Android's Dungeon store (instead of just a bathroom facade)
But you can't fit any one of those into the current Springfield area without closing something or using valuable real estate.

Compared to International Film and Food Festival, I'll take Springfield in its current iteration...

Kman101

Why Springfield?

It took a desolate, empty area of the park and made it a place worth visiting. It also added to the attraction count without replacing anything, and provides a plethora of dining/drinking options now.

There's not much more Universal could have done with Springfield unless they bulldozed Animal Actors or used part of the MIB/Springfield mystery plot.

Granted, I'd say there's about three-four things missing:
  1. Power Plant dark ride
  2. Mr. Burns' mansion
  3. Evergreen Terrace walkthrough
  4. actual Android's Dungeon store (instead of just a bathroom facade)
But you can't fit any one of those into the current Springfield area without closing something or using valuable real estate.

Compared to International Film and Food Festival, I'll take Springfield in its current iteration...

I'm just picky, LOL. It's not a *bad* area at all. I love me some Springfield and they did do a great job overall.

I think Kang and Koda's was a unique take on a spinner (and I love them as well). I feel like some of it's just a little cheap looking, and I'm not the biggest fan of the hideous exterior to the ride itself, but like I said, I'm just super picky :) I don't exactly know what I'd do differently.

I like what Uni Hollywood is doing with the backdrop.

I also sort of wish the food court wasn't one big, well, food court, even if it's themed to specific places.

I don't know, it just didn't thrill me as much as I wanted it to for some reason, but again, I'm picky and the area probably isn't a big issue in the scheme of things.

doctornick

So, it's been mentioned in other threads, but I figured it would make sense to post it here since this is the topic...

Another website (one that can't be linked from here) reported today that a Toy Story Playland at DHS will consist of:

1. RC Racer
2. Woody's Round Up -- a re-themed version of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
3. A copy of the new LPS Luigi's Tire ride for DCA themed to Buzz [my guess: some short of flying in UFOs]

It sounds like an interesting mix and better than what is present at the other Toy Story Playland. (As an aside, I am curious if any of these will end up in Shanghai, which I think probably will be the case -- an attraction called "Woody's Round Up" is among those that WDW1974 said would be in Shanghai.) Regarding RC Racer, it has horrible capacity, so I wonder if they will double track it.

It also begs the question about what else is coming to the Pixar area of DHS. The footprint of these rides shouldn't be that big and there should be plenty of additional space among the old Backlot Tour footprint that more could be added. Is it unreasonable to hope for a dark ride or two as well?

And what about Cars? We know that Cars is coming in some capacity. It might include the town of Radiator Springs like DCA but without as much rockwork (you could just do the town without the mountain range in the back). But if they are putting reskinned versions of Mater's and the new Luigi ride in DHS then they surely won't be using those rides in DHS in any Cars themed area. So, what would they do?

DinoInstitute

So, it's been mentioned in other threads, but I figured it would make sense to post it here since this is the topic...

Another website (one that can't be linked from here) reported today that a Toy Story Playland at DHS will consist of:

1. RC Racer
2. Woody's Round Up -- a re-themed version of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
3. A copy of the new LPS Luigi's Tire ride for DCA themed to Buzz [my guess: some short of flying in UFOs]

It sounds like an interesting mix and better than what is present at the other Toy Story Playland. (As an aside, I am curious if any of these will end up in Shanghai, which I think probably will be the case -- an attraction called "Woody's Round Up" is among those that WDW1974 said would be in Shanghai.) Regarding RC Racer, it has horrible capacity, so I wonder if they will double track it.

It also begs the question about what else is coming to the Pixar area of DHS. The footprint of these rides shouldn't be that big and there should be plenty of additional space among the old Backlot Tour footprint that more could be added. Is it unreasonable to hope for a dark ride or two as well?

And what about Cars? We know that Cars is coming in some capacity. It might include the town of Radiator Springs like DCA but without as much rockwork (you could just do the town without the mountain range in the back). But if they are putting reskinned versions of Mater's and the new Luigi ride in DHS then they surely won't be using those rides in DHS in any Cars themed area. So, what would they do?
I missed this in other threads I guess, but I am wondering something: There would be a re-theme of Luigi's? I thought that ride was very unsuccessful and that it was rumored to be replaced in Carsland. I could have my information messed up, but I'm surprised they would make a new version of it.
EDIT: Oh, I see, it is the new system being used for the Buzz ride. Woops;):p

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom