Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sped2424

I don't think that is the point at all, at least not in this thread. The point is that for this park the current ride mix slants more in the other direction and it would make sense that a land based on Toy Story could be used to balance it out some.
The family coaster is doing just that. Some people are complaining that even that has too "high" a height restriction when in actuality it will be perfect for families.

doctornick

The family coaster is doing just that. Some people are complaining that even that has too "high" a height restriction when in actuality it will be perfect for families.

Can't speak for others, but my preference for no height restriction rides is not about being able to bring on a lap infant to a ride, but about the types of rides. I think it is important to balance difference types of experiences within a theme park to allow all guests to have pretty full days. Some people like parades or fireworks, some like M&Gs, some like stage shows or 4D movies, etc.

When it comes to rides (which, as an aside, DHS needs more of in an absolute sense; the meager 5 it currently has is pathetic), I think it is important to have a balance. When a park has a lot of height restriction rides, it lacks the calm sedate "experience" rides that made Disney famous and very popular. Many of the best known Disney rides are great because of the ride content (scenes, music, theming) and not for the motion of the vehicles.

I would agree that the Slinky Dog coaster and the Aliens ride will be accessible to most every guest from a making the height restriction cutoff prospective -- but they don't really fill the need for calm relaxing rides that DHS has. I would like to see the park add some quality dark rides that have a wide appeal and can be enjoyed by everyone, even the very young and those with motion issues or other health ailments that might prevent them from enjoying more thrilling rides.

To me, the "height restriction" concern is more of a surrogate for the level of thrill for a ride than whether a baby can be on it.

ght

I think it will definitely help, as will the Mater clone. Still that leaves only TSMM, Muppets (if it survives) and TGMR as rides with no restrictions. It would have been nice to have added one more to the list along with the two rides that are already coming. If the argument is that these rides should be replaced with one with no restrictions then I agree that the height restrictions on the new rides are just fine.

Sped2424

Can't speak for others, but my preference for no height restriction rides is not about being able to bring on a lap infant to a ride, but about the types of rides. I think it is important to balance difference types of experiences within a theme park to allow all guests to have pretty full days. Some people like parades or fireworks, some like M&Gs, some like stage shows or 4D movies, etc.

When it comes to rides (which, as an aside, DHS needs more of in an absolute sense; the meager 5 it currently has is pathetic), I think it is important to have a balance. When a park has a lot of height restriction rides, it lacks the calm sedate "experience" rides that made Disney famous and very popular. Many of the best known Disney rides are great because of the ride content (scenes, music, theming) and not for the motion of the vehicles.

I would agree that the Slinky Dog coaster and the Aliens ride will be accessible to most every guest from a making the height restriction cutoff prospective -- but they don't really fill the need for calm relaxing rides that DHS has. I would like to see the park add some quality dark rides that have a wide appeal and can be enjoyed by everyone, even the very young and those with motion issues or other health ailments that might prevent them from enjoying more thrilling rides.

To me, the "height restriction" concern is more of a surrogate for the level of thrill for a ride than whether a baby can be on it.
Calm relaxing rides are to be found elsewhere at disney world, and the great movie ride is one of the calmest experiences that can be found. ATM you have Batb, Mermaid, TSMM, Indy stunt show, Muppets 4D, all attractions and shows that can be enjoyed with no height limits.I think it's okay if DHS isn't the most targeted of family parks out of the 4, as they have that slack being picked up elsewhere. SHould there be more things for kids to do? Yeah, and toy story should fit that bill. But I don't think this park is desperately needing calm experiences because in actuality it's just needing of experiences period.

doctornick

Calm relaxing rides are to be found elsewhere at disney world, and the great movie ride is one of the calmest experiences that can be found. ATM you have Batb, Mermaid, TSMM, Indy stunt show, Muppets 4D, all attractions and shows that can be enjoyed with no height limits.I think it's okay if DHS isn't the most targeted of family parks out of the 4, as they have that slack being picked up elsewhere. SHould there be more things for kids to do? Yeah, and toy story should fit that bill. But I don't think this park is desperately needing calm experiences because in actuality it's just needing of experiences period.

Look, I agree that DHS simply needs more rides. That's critical. I just think that among the rides that are added, it would be good for some of them to be calmer no height restriction rides.

captainmoch

Universal has already opened the Simpson's area with carnival booths and flat spinners without any criticism.

Disney releases some concept art, and it's a 'mishmash'. :-(
But Springfield was in a park that already has a decent amount of rides, was hardly considered a major addition, and took a few months to build. I'm not saying TSL is being considered major, but I can understand people wanting more out of something that won't even come for 2-3 years and is in a park with very little to do.

raymusiccity

Aw, did I upset you? Here:

a-big-hug-for-you-teddy-bear-graphic.jpg

No hard feelings :)
image.jpg

Goofyernmost

But Springfield was in a park that already has a decent amount of rides, was hardly considered a major addition, and took a few months to build. I'm not saying TSL is being considered major, but I can understand people wanting more out of something that won't even come for 2-3 years and is in a park with very little to do.
And compared to "Back to the Future" the Simpson ride sucks slimy water. It's almost like going from Universal to Dollywood. Rides that resemble other rides, but, are just cheap imitations. And I like Universal.

RSoxNo1

One thing I would have liked to have seen is one more ride with no height restrictions (preferably a dark ride). The two new additions are nice but it looks like both new rides will have height restrictions (though both should be modest) so it would have been nice to see something added to TSMM without a restriction.
I'm under the impression that more Pixar rides are coming that aren't Toy Story related.

captainmoch

And compared to "Back to the Future" the Simpson ride sucks slimy water. It's almost like going from Universal to Dollywood. Rides that resemble other rides, but, are just cheap imitations. And I like Universal.
...I-I like the Simpsons Ride. It's your opinion and all, but I don't get saying it's like going from Universal to Dollywood. I don't even remotely understand that comparison. Both are pretty equal in quality, IP that they are based on aside.

Goofyernmost

...I-I like the Simpsons Ride. It's your opinion and all, but I don't get saying it's like going from Universal to Dollywood. I don't even remotely understand that comparison. Both are pretty equal in quality, IP that they are based on aside.
There are many things at Dollywood that are up to date. Mostly the coasters, check out the rides, especially the ones for kids. They are cheap looking, old and nasty remakes of things seen as quality in other parks. That is what I am referring too. Simpsons is a good ride, but, compared to BttF, it is just a brightly colored try at making or achieving the quality of the original ride housed in the same building. It was a major letdown for me.

captainmoch

There are many things at Dollywood that are up to date. Mostly the coasters, check out the rides, especially the ones for kids. They are cheap looking, old and nasty remakes of things seen as quality in other parks. That is what I am referring too. Simpsons is a good ride, but, compared to BttF, it is just a brightly colored try at making or achieving the quality of the original ride housed in the same building. It was a major letdown for me.
Meh, I don't see it. Yes, Simpsons is brightly colored, but that's because it's a cartoon. I don't feel like it's trying to be "as good as the original ride", it feels like its own thing, except with the same ride system/building. Whether it's as good or not is just up to one's opinion. I personally think both rides have their merits. Simpsons is hilarious, and BTTF is based off an amazing series.

Goofyernmost

Meh, I don't see it. Yes, Simpsons is brightly colored, but that's because it's a cartoon. I don't feel like it's trying to be "as good as the original ride", it feels like its own thing, except with the same ride system/building. Whether it's as good or not is just up to one's opinion. I personally think both rides have their merits. Simpsons is hilarious, and BTTF is based off an amazing series.
I agree with that, but, I do think that compared on an equal basis it just seems like a cheap fill in. Mileage may vary! :)

Ignohippo

To anyone that's complaining about Toy Story Land not being all D's/E-Tickets... The park needs everything. Yes, Toy Story doesn't lend itself to elaborate theming in the same way Star Wars Land does, but it will be a lightly themed area with a B and C ticket attraction that are very much needed. This is a single part of the park improvement, it's not all of it.

Agreed. B and Cs are desperately needed. Only thing is, with the space TSPL will have, there could, and should, be quite a few more.

I don't thing 4 or 5 carney rides and the roller coaster is to much to ask for. And it doesn't look like there's a "play" area either (which the park could certainly use a new one).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom