Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JBIRDTO

I can't figure out this piece. This is the second launch and it appears the track is in place, but the brownish supports, which are probably for the rings shown in the concept art, pass over the track and don't look high enough for the train to go under.

View attachment 211825

View attachment 211826
I think these may just be wooden plank walkways so workers can get accross

Pedro Soto

Hey @marni1971 have you heard anything new on more dining for TSL, the area by the land entrance would be a good spot maybe Woodys Roundup show and dining. Are they going to remove the last 2 small building by the new fence ???

RSoxNo1

Immersion is not ornament. It is a consistency of narrative and experience, an enveloping. Toy Story Land most definitely can be as immersive as Cars Land.
I'm not convinced of that.

The movies that better translate to wholly immersive lands are ones where a unique "World" has been established. Harry Potter created a World, Star Wars a Universe, Pandora a World, Cars a world. Toy Story largely takes place in our reality other than Toys coming to life. Yes, they can make the area look like Andy's back yard but oversized props don't work as well as unique architecture or nature.

lazyboy97o

I'm not convinced of that.

The movies that better translate to wholly immersive lands are ones where a unique "World" has been established. Harry Potter created a World, Star Wars a Universe, Pandora a World, Cars a world. Toy Story largely takes place in our reality other than Toys coming to life. Yes, they can make the area look like Andy's back yard but oversized props don't work as well as unique architecture or nature.
Making the area look like a backyard is the immersion. The problem is the subject, the world in which you are being immersed.

Casper Gutman

Making the area look like a backyard is the immersion. The problem is the subject, the world in which you are being immersed.

I would also challenge the immersion - looking at existing TSLs, there is absolutely no consistency of scale. You have Woody and Buzz figures that are six or so times larger than the other toys, who aren't consistent amongst themselves. The "grass" and rides aren't scaled properly, and there's absolutely no effort to give a sense of "huge" objects - houses, bikes, etc. - that could reinforce the sense of the guest as tiny. Are guests meant to be the size of Buzz and Woody? Half that size? It really is a collection of randomly sized recognizable things tossed together, and the result isn't immersion. You COULD make a clever, consistent, immersive TSL with a lot of wit and clever elements (and, hey, a new dark ride), but that's not even what they're really trying to do. It's a very slightly upgraded Six Flags kids land.

lazyboy97o

I would also challenge the immersion - looking at existing TSLs, there is absolutely no consistency of scale. You have Woody and Buzz figures that are six or so times larger than the other toys, who aren't consistent amongst themselves. The "grass" and rides aren't scaled properly, and there's absolutely no effort to give a sense of "huge" objects - houses, bikes, etc. - that could reinforce the sense of the guest as tiny. Are guests meant to be the size of Buzz and Woody? Half that size? It really is a collection of randomly sized recognizable things tossed together, and the result isn't immersion. You COULD make a clever, consistent, immersive TSL with a lot of wit and clever elements (and, hey, a new dark ride), but that's not even what they're really trying to do. It's a very slightly upgraded Six Flags kids land.
I've mentioned scale issue rather recently and how it is a means of trying to add interest to the environment. Toys left in a backyard will always be a collection of stuff. Toys in a bedroom would be a similar collection of stuff. This why rules actually are important. A land where anything can fit lacks definition and therefore there is no visual language that can give it meaning. This is why the scenic elements, the toys, exist as elements of themed experience but ultimately communicate the intent of the land as themed decor.

Movielover

I've mentioned scale issue rather recently and how it is a means of trying to add interest to the environment. Toys left in a backyard will always be a collection of stuff. Toys in a bedroom would be a similar collection of stuff. This why rules actually are important. A land where anything can fit lacks definition and therefore there is no visual language that can give it meaning. This is why the scenic elements, the toys, exist as elements of themed experience but ultimately communicate the intent of the land as themed decor.

This is also why they couldn't just move the props from HISTK Playset over to this new land like several people on here wanted to happen. They were entirely different scale to this land, thus creating even more scale imbalance (plus they were old and probably not in the best shape...)

*Q*

I think I've probably said this once or twice before, but I really really lament losing Pixar Place. From the art we've seen of Toy Story Land so far, it just doesn't look anywhere near as engaging to me. It just seems like building a clone of one of the Monsters, Inc. dark rides in the empty soundstages and adding a flat ride (or something along those lines) would have been a wiser investment.

Kman101

Well I agree in a way. But I think they would have needed to still expand behind TSMM, not saying it has to be TSL it still could have been Pixar in general because the walkway was often so congested. It would have been nice to get a fleshed out Pixar Place instead but I also get why they went with Toy Story

Next Big Thing

Last I saw, Lunching pad. A TSR was designed but afaik at the moment is not happening.
Interesting that they decided to not go with what would've been probably the most popular TSR in the park (for a year). Or at least a character meal. Those print money.

Do you know if they plan on doing anything with the area that was supposed to be Woody's Round Up eventually?

Pedro Soto

Interesting that they decided to not go with what would've been probably the most popular TSR in the park (for a year). Or at least a character meal. Those print money.

Do you know if they plan on doing anything with the area that was supposed to be Woody's Round Up eventually?
Good question I'm extremely interested in that area cause we have no idea what's happening there

Next Big Thing

There will be a Woody sign.
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2F15-gifs-that-are-not-sarcastic-at-all%2F3.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom