Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kman101

The way I read it, the idea of an enclosed Slinky isn't so much about making Slinky a better ride, it's about the aesthetic of the land itself. Many people have a gut-level negative reaction to exposed roller coaster track at Disney as a matter of principle. I don't know whether I agree or disagree, but I think that's the argument. I personally think that the Buzz Lightyear Hot Wheels scene in the original Toy Story is a better fit as a roller coaster in the land and would have worked well with exposed track, but that's obviously not in the cards.

I understand their argument and it's a gut reaction to not liking exposed coaster, it has nothing to do with the land it's in or how it fits. I've said before I don't care for exposed coasters. I'd have preferred something else, but we're not getting anything else. We're getting what we're getting. It's a second coaster. We have one other coaster. It's not like the park is becoming coaster heavy. If we already had a family friendly coaster, I'd agree it's not good enough. I just have a different view than they do and that's OK. Doesn't mean I don't hold them to higher standards and do I want better? Of course I do but I don't think this is the worst ever. But people are set in their opinions. I have a bit more of an open mind. I don't need to keep rehasing the same thoughts.

Phicinfan

The way I read it, the idea of an enclosed Slinky isn't so much about making Slinky a better ride, it's about the aesthetic of the land itself. Many people have a gut-level negative reaction to exposed roller coaster track at Disney as a matter of principle. I don't know whether I agree or disagree, but I think that's the argument. I personally think that the Buzz Lightyear Hot Wheels scene in the original Toy Story is a better fit as a roller coaster in the land and would have worked well with exposed track, but that's obviously not in the cards.
I agree, that would have been cool.

as for the exposed roller coaster, I don't have the same objections as the rest of you. This is supposed to be toys left in the yard by Andy. You are basically(I am assuming here...) another toy that has come to life and are enjoying what is there, so I agree, the overall scale has to be such that the "toys" there per say needs to be on scale with "us."

If they do this, and they truly manage it well, then I think this has a real shot of being immersive. But I also agree, that if they screw that scale up, and we have toys ranging over us, the whole theme will seem hokey at best.

I like the rides they have chosen, Slinky looks fun, and Mater's in DL is a fun ride(only rode it once) so this could be alot of fun with the "claw" coming to get ya!. I also agree, would have loved at least one other flat ride or spinner to flesh out the land.

But I refuse to follow the path of doom and gloom some have here. I will wait til its done and have seen it to pass judgement.

Kman101

I guess my annoyance stems from people insisting it won't be immersive before even stepping foot in the land. Critique the rides and design style but there are some things you do need to experience before passing a judgement. That's not to say you can't have an opinion about it. I mean someone posted in the Spirited thread that SWL will lack "tiny details". Really? Before it's even open you've decided it's going to lack that?

That's why I understand where MansionButler84 is coming from, valid points on why the land to them isn't the smart choice. I don't disagree.

I've said before I could walk into the land and find it completely underwhelming and lacking. But I'm not going to say it is before I'm in the land. I could judge it based off cheap and lackluster ones in Paris and HK but i haven't been to either one of those.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I guess my annoyance stems from people insisting it won't be immersive before even stepping foot in the land.

I don't have high expectations for how immersive it is going to be but I am willing to have an open mind when I visit. I expect it to be better than TS Playland in DLP (which I have seen in person). The question for me is, how much better?

Kman101

I don't have high expectations for how immersive it is going to be but I am willing to have an open mind when I visit. I expect it to be better than TS Playland in DLP (which I have seen in person). The question for me is, how much better?

And that's fair because you've seen the one in Paris. I'm not totally sold either, I doubt we will be weaving our way through blades of grass, the land seems concrete heavy but who knows? It could come off charming. I've read HK's isn't quite as bad as Paris and it's nicer at night. I could also say I imagine the Honey I Shrunk the kids play area may have had it beat in terms of making you feel small in a backyard but we'll see LOL.

PorterRedkey

They meant immersive land based on a hit Pixar property IMO. People have clung to them comparing it to Cars Land.
Kathy Magnum LITERALLY said the following when comparing TSL to Carsland "and that's exactly the level of immersion that we are aiming for for Florida". I think they missed the target by about a mile, but we will see soon enough.
Here is the video 21:40 is about where Kathy starts.

PorterRedkey

I know what she said lol
Sorry to pile on. I hadn't read that far yet.

So why compare TSL to Carsland at all? They actually had to change the background from the new TSL layout to the Carsland background while she spoke of Carland. The only reason it was brought up was for the comparison between the 2 lands. And then she said the quote -"that's exactly the level of immersion that we are aiming for for Florida".
This was not an off-the-cuff response. They planned on comparing it Carsland. I think it is obvious what they wanted to accomplish by comparing the two land. - If you like Carsland out West, you gonna love our TSL out East because it is just as immersive Carsland, but with a Toy Story theme instead.

I realize the budget got cut and the "immersion" was scaled back and that just makes Kathy's statement ring even more hollow.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All too often on these forms I see the same "acceptance with protest" attitude. It seems to be nothing more than a defense mechanism to deflect the truth that you simply do not like it, but perhaps you fear being vilified by the blindly loyal defenders of the Mouse who roam these halls to seek and destroy any dissent.

Fear not, they can cause you no harm. Only their keyboard will feel the pain as they smash those buttons furiously in an effort to silence you.

lol

Jones14

So do we know why the budget was cut in the first place? Was it a "hey, maybe we shouldn't get close to half a million for this" or is it a casualty of cost overruns on other projects?

Kman101

Sorry to pile on. I hadn't read that far yet.

So why compare TSL to Carsland at all? They actually had to change the background from the new TSL layout to the Carsland background while she spoke of Carland. The only reason it was brought up was for the comparison between the 2 lands. And then she said the quote -"that's exactly the level of immersion that we are aiming for for Florida".
This was not an off-the-cuff response. They planned on comparing it Carsland. I think it is obvious what they wanted to accomplish by comparing the two land. - If you like Carsland out West, you gonna love our TSL out East because it is just as immersive Carsland, but with a Toy Story theme instead.

I realize the budget got cut and the "immersion" was scaled back and that just makes Kathy's statement ring even more hollow.

No worries! I agree with everything you said. They never should have overhyped it from the start. I think they meant well but this land would never be on the level of Cars Land.

Kman101

So do we know why the budget was cut in the first place? Was it a "hey, maybe we shouldn't get close to half a million for this" or is it a casualty of cost overruns on other projects?

I think it was the former but to me they should have left it alone but we all know how outrageous the costs are

HMF

Kathy Magnum LITERALLY said the following when comparing TSL to Carsland "and that's exactly the level of immersion that we are aiming for for Florida". I think they missed the target by about a mile, but we will see soon enough.
Here is the video 21:40 is about where Kathy starts.

Kathy Mangum's resume is full of shoving things that don't belong in uncomfortable places. The fact she is in charge of DHS is not a good sign and before somebody says Cars Land supposedly Tom Morris gave a lot of un-credited "help".

sunsetblvd26

Wait. I just thought of something that has never really struck me as odd about the Toy Story Playlands, but now I can't unthink it.

If we're the size of toys in Andy's backyard, why are the other toys and the "grass" designed to be towering over us? Unless the grass isn't getting cut very often, it really shouldn't necessarily be that much larger than us if we are meant to be toy-sized. Unless we're very small toys. Are we ants?
I believe we're supposed to be the size of the green army men, which is how we fit in all of the ride vehicles. I agree though that the scale in those first two TSLs does seem a bit odd at first.

But that makes me realize something, if the scale is roughly the same, I imagine there will be lots of tall grass. That should help kind of hide some of the coaster track supports for the people who are worried about that.

Goofyque'

The toys in Toy Story all seemed to be able to play together, regardless of scale. Have you seen children play? Barbies and teddy bears all are included. A riding tractor may race a Hot Wheels. I'm sure I will be transported, whether I am the size of a green Army man, or Rex and Hamm. :)

lazyboy97o

The budget was cut because it was an incredibly obscene amount of money for very little. Even after the cuts, the budget is still obscene. Slinky Dog Dash is costing Disney more than double what it would cost other parks to build a launched steel coaster.

roj2323

DDCNy2HXsAAUGYF.jpg

DDCK3EgXoAAoEiK.jpg

Complements of https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom