Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Empress Lilly

Ever seen the views from the Disneyland Monorail?
I have indeed, and splendid views they are!

Much nicer than the magical rooftop ride of the MK Skyway.

The nearest comparable screen I can think of might be the MK TL wall, that blocks off the view of the executive parking lot. (Which could so nicely fit an entire land!)

~ Trump tweeted he is going to make the Mexican guests pay for the Toy Story wall ~

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have indeed, and splendid views they are!

Much nicer than the magical rooftop ride of the MK Skyway.

The nearest comparable screen I can think of might be the MK TL wall, that blocks off the view of the executive parking lot. (Which could so nicely fit an entire land!)

~ Trump tweeted he is going to make the Mexican guests pay for the Toy Story wall ~

You must not have ridden it since DCA was built.

The Empress Lilly

You must not have ridden it since DCA was built.
I remember it when it offered views of parking lots and power lines. :D

[side tangent]
This was once upon a time when DL offered you ugliness all around, except for the DL park itself. Meanwhile WDW was a calm heaven in the wilderness, beauty everywhere you looked, for miles around. Nowadays it is the exact reverse. :'(
[/side tangent]

Last edited:

HMF

I remember it when it offered views of parking lots and power lines. :D

[side tangent]
This was once upon a time when DL offered you ugliness all around, except for the DL park itself. Meanwhile WDW was a calm heaven in the wilderness, beauty everywhere you looked, for miles around. Nowadays it is the exact reverse. :'(
[/side tangent]
Meh, seeing Harbour Boulevard from the monorail is a bit jarring.

ToTBellHop

The main issue is that this part of Hollywood Studios was never designed as a theme park, it was designed as a movie studio.
Yes. Until they leveled everything in the back half of the park. Now there will be no explanation for the bizarre organization back there. There are ways they could have thought outside the box here, but it would be costly.

The Empress Lilly

The main issue is that this part of Hollywood Studios was never designed as a theme park, it was designed as a movie studio.
While you are entirely correct, I'm tempted to say that this bit of Florida was never meant to look like Japan or forties LA or an African plain but was intelligently designed to be a subtropical swamp.

If the TSL designers could not overcome their starting position (a huge, razed terrain with a few non-descript medium buildings around the edge, as good of a blank slate as you are ever going to get at a theme park), then perhaps something else should've been build.

I really do get the impression that altogether too many of the current crop of designers are snowflake crybabyies, (or simply millennials, have to get that term in to annoy even more people with my posting!) who'd rather stubbornly cling to their own lovebaby and deliver a compromised version that allows them to blame others, than to accept they can't have it their way 100% all of the time and will deal with that.

hpyhnt 1000

I think I saw, somewhere, a large blue picket fence? Wracking my brain trying to remember
where but I had it in my mind it would be giant fencing . . .

Edit: Yes, I think that's what I thought from this video . .

Edit Edit: Looks like the blue fence is more on the backside of TSM, and there's some other Slinky Dog graphic by the parking garage. The "box" that the coaster parts come out of, perhaps?

I think that's actually the facade over the ride entrance to the coaster. Note how it is right along the guest walkway (in grey).

Here's the best screen grab I could capture from the video. Given the crudity of this animated rendering, details are hard to make out. But it doesn't seem to show any screen or facade behind the coaster. Obviously we know one is being built (the aerials prove that) but this doesn't shed any light on what it will look like.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 1.33.14 PM.png

Mawg

Not a great video, but it gives you the ides. Actually more fun than it looks...

my son (6) ended up with a pretty good bruise on the side of his head beside his eye from getting slammed to the side when it whipped. Just hope they put a little more padding on it.

MCast

Curious to see if the Pixar Studios section of DHS will be rolled into TSL. It would make the most sense from my perspective since it is, after all, the entrance to Toy Story Mania.

MCast

Got it - makes sense. Wonder if the park will receive a new "icon" once both lands are completed plus the revamped GMR.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Curious to see if the Pixar Studios section of DHS will be rolled into TSL. It would make the most sense from my perspective since it is, after all, the entrance to Toy Story Mania.

The entrance to Toy Story Mania is going to move to the back of the building to connect to TSL. The Pixar Place street will become back stage space.

MCast

The entrance to Toy Story Mania is going to move to the back of the building to connect to TSL. The Pixar Place street will become back stage space.

Excellent. The current entrance to TSM is so narrow and bottlenecks extremely quickly. I'll always be a proponent of extra space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom