Tower of Terror Run going to ruin our planned trip in October 2015??

Jessica Meier

So I had read that the Tower of Terror Run happens in October and we are planning our trip for October 3-10th 2015. Will the run happen during this time? If so, should I book a room now to be safe. I am scared I won't be able to get a room. Also, we were hoping to spend a little more time at HS this trip since that day got cut short thanks to my little getting sick on our last trip. Does that park stay busy during that week?

MickeyMomV

The race has been the first weekend in Oct. for at least the last 2 years (we ran it last year). This race uses "host hotels". The resorts that normally host are all of the All Stars, Pop, POFQ, PORS, CBR, Beach Club, Poly, and Wilderness. If you are going to be staying at one of these resorts I would recommend booking at least the room early especially if you are staying in a value or mod. These resorts are the only ones with direct transportation to ESPN for the races so they do book quicker (we booked in March for Oct and were fine). The only day we noticed heavy traffic at HS was the night of the 10 mile race as it starts and ends there, all other races are at ESPN.
We noticed moderate traffic in the week after the race. It was nothing that would deter us from going that week again, even if we were not running the race.

Upvote 0

Jessica Meier

Original Poster
Thank you so much @MickeyMomV ! Makes me feel better. We want to stay in Pop or AOA so will need to book. Debating which one. We would arrive on Saturday, which would be first weekend of the month. We wouldn't do a park day until Sunday and are planning MK for the first day. So I am guessing we would probably avoid most of it! Sure hope so!

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

You will be fine. A lot of the runners are local, some take advantage of the weekend race special and are only there for Fri and Sat nights, Some finish their vacation with the race, and then some start their vacation with the race. You will see a slight increase in park traffic but nothing that will affect your vacation.

DH and I were there for quick 4 night get away in 11/20112 and it wasn't until the day we left that we realized that the Wine and Dine race was that weekend. If it wasn't for the Run Disney bags and people wearing Medals we probaby would never have known.

Upvote 0

Jessica Meier

Original Poster
I had been expecting a slight increase because of Fall break and Food and Wine but am trying to avoid Epcot on the weekend to cut down on some of it. This makes me feel better. A little Mickey freak out!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just looked at the schedule for this year's ToT 10 Miler and the big race starts at 10PM; the park closes at 6:00PM. All the other races are at ESPN. The after party at HS for the race is over by 3:30 AM, so I would think a similar schedule will apply next year. But I agree with other posters, the real problem will be getting a resort room, especially if Disney again designates host hotels - but I didn't see any listed for the ToT 10 Miler. I'm running during the Princess Marathon weekend next February and all of the resorts are host hotels, due to the demand for this run event. Registration for next year's ToT race probably won't open until 5-6 months before the race date.

We were at EPCOT during F&W on the evening of the race. If it weren't for the additional EMTs and runners around, I wouldn't have known a race was scheduled.

Speaking of runDisney, I've heard rumor that next year's Everest Challenge has been cancelled. Is this true? I don't see it listed on the runDisney website and I would assume registration would open soon.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Just looked at the schedule for this year's ToT 10 Miler and the big race starts at 10PM; the park closes at 6:00PM. All the other races are at ESPN. The after party at HS for the race is over by 3:30 AM, so I would think a similar schedule will apply next year. But I agree with other posters, the real problem will be getting a resort room, especially if Disney again designates host hotels - but I didn't see any listed for the ToT 10 Miler. I'm running during the Princess Marathon weekend next February and all of the resorts are host hotels, due to the demand for this run event. Registration for next year's ToT race probably won't open until 5-6 months before the race date.

We were at EPCOT during F&W on the evening of the race. If it weren't for the additional EMTs and runners around, I wouldn't have known a race was scheduled.

Speaking of runDisney, I've heard rumor that next year's Everest Challenge has been cancelled. Is this true? I don't see it listed on the runDisney website and I would assume registration would open soon.

The list of host resorts I posted are from this years ToT host resort list and they are the same ones as last year.

As for the Everest. I have heard the same thing (I think you and I discussed this in another post). The 2014 race is still listed on the Run Disney site. Most races post about 7 months prior to the race so I think we have a month or two before we know for sure.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The list of host resorts I posted are from this years ToT host resort list and they are the same ones as last year.

As for the Everest. I have heard the same thing (I think you and I discussed this in another post). The 2014 race is still listed on the Run Disney site. Most races post about 7 months prior to the race so I think we have a month or two before we know for sure.

Did we? I am really getting old, lol. I didn't see any host resorts listed for ToT. I had to call and ask about Princess Marathon for the same reason and the folks at runDisney told me all resorts will be hosting participants.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

I think people greatly over-estimate the impact some of these races will have on the parks

This is a smaller race weekend - only some of the resorts are "host" resorts, so those will be filled up. The race is at 10PM. You'll be fine.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Did we? I am really getting old, lol. I didn't see any host resorts listed for ToT. I had to call and ask about Princess Marathon for the same reason and the folks at runDisney told me all resorts will be hosting participants.
I think the reason for this is the ToT races, except for the 10 miler, take place at ESPN and the resorts do not have a direct bus over there. So they have Host Resorts so they do not have buses running for every resort. All of the Princess races take place at Epcot and all of the resorts aleady have that service so they do not have specific Host Resorts, they just have to start bus service earlier. As for packet pickup you may have to jump busses at the TTC to get to ESPN for the Princess packets.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

Same for Marathon Weekend in January. Those two race weekends are the biggest ones - so many participants means they need buses from all of the resorts. The other race weekends are much smaller. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom