Tower of Terror Experts

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I consider WDWs Tower the most recent peak in Imagineering and budget. At least in Florida
Could not agree more. With more money and power than ever, I can't understand why we don't get the same type of ambition these days. Actually, I know why...Iger isn't going to go all out for theme park attractions. It's just good enough these days. Sigh.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Everest? Not close. Standard coaster with very little show in a pretty from the outside building. Almost everything in ToT WDW was ambitious / groundbreaking / state of the art / unique.

Perhaps in ambition Kilimanjaro Safari is close.
Interesting perspective and I can't say I totally disagree, however it's quite a bit more ambitious than anything we've gotten in the last 10 years with the following reasons and caveats:

1) Everest in 100% working order is quite impressive and detailed, but the Yeti is a huge part and the many effects rarely work (waterfalls, train stam, birds, music, etc)

2) The "pre show" is quite intricate and well done from a thematic perspective, building the story of the Yeti.

3) The mountain is beautifully done and just massive. The scale is something we don't see anymore

4) The short ride around prior to the first lift is a nice addition to a roller coaster, taking you around the "countryside."

5) A working Yeti is a game changer. When it worked, it was awesome.

6) The track change with yeti tearing up the track is a nice touch along with backward and forward motion.

7) A big part is the $100m+ budget in the late 90s/early 2000s when conceived. Disney just doesn't seem to spend big money on single attractions anymore.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Little Mermaid...
I have no idea and have not researched it, but if that cost $100m, I am just floored and almost can't believe it. Did they spend it all on the building?

Admittedly, the building, queuing, and outside theming is outstanding. The ride itself is obviously not anything resembling that kind of money.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I have no idea and have not researched it, but if that cost $100m, I am just floored and almost can't believe it. Did they spend it all on the building?

Admittedly, the building, queuing, and outside theming is outstanding. The ride itself is obviously not anything resembling that kind of money.
That number relates to the less exterior impressive California attraction when it opened, not to mention the attempts to fix it which have increased that total by nearly 50%.

lazyboy97o

Was this perhaps money spent developing and redesigning it? Find it difficult to see how actually building it cost so much (though not doubting you). Seem to remember Mission Space cost +100 million which is more understandable.
I cannot speak to how the money was spent, but even before it was actually built I recall Al Lutz saying it was slated to be a $100 million attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom