Tower of Terror Experts

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I mentioned a while back that I believe the voices in Tower of Terror DL and WDW to be different. I thought I remember someone saying that are the same, but the script is different and the voices are indeed different.

Orginal Thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disneyworld-tower-of-terror.835365/

I know (at least I thought I knew) some dude named Mark Silverman does the voice for Rod Serling, but it's just too different at DL and it really bothered me. Take a listen to these "One stormy night..." 2:55 in the first vid, 4:05 in the second.

SKIP TO 2:55

SKIP TO 4:05

I guess it's the same actor but done at different times? Why isn't the same track used?

Tom Morrow

It really is the same guy, Mark Silverman. I remember reading something like either Disney wanted the voice to be lower and more intimidating, or that's just how his imitation morphed over the years. I think Mark Sposted on these boards a while back, wonder if he's still around?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. I'm glad it's the same actor in both, but man, it's way too different. Is it just me?

I get on the DL version and I'm like, who is this? The cadence is complete different as well. I wish they'd just keep it consistent because I think he nailed it at the WDW version.

Perhaps it's just what I got used to.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
It's Mark in both.

Since DCA needed new lines the whole collection was rerecorded. It's also used at WDSP.
I know this is old, but I meant to ask why the original script couldn't be used in the DL version and they chose to re-record it?

Is it just because the show time and ride itself are too different and they needed to synch up the voice with the physical action of the ride?

I don't know if I'm just hyper sensitive to voices, I've seen it too much, or what, but it really bothers me. I can hear in my mind what I think it "should" sound like (Original WDW version) and the DL version just sounds totally wrong.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why did DCA need new lines?
The ascent and drop shafts are one and the same outside of WDW so the decision was taken to rewrite some of the lines. Especially with the second show scene played out in the same shaft (and "wave goodbye to the real world” being a hint to wave at the effects "mirror")

I'd also assume since the show scenes are on different levels, meaning the second one isn't always the same, the narration and storytelling had to be uniform no matter what drop shaft your get.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
That seems reasonable, but I wish they used audio from the same day or something and edited it. Silverman sounds like he's doing a completely different voice.

nerdboyrockstar

Eh, I'll take any differences I can get, even if it's just the voice spiel recording. There's no point in traveling to the other side of the country to ride the exact same ride.

Tom

Beta Return
Eh, I'll take any differences I can get, even if it's just the voice spiel recording. There's no point in traveling to the other side of the country to ride the exact same ride.

The Florida and California versions of the ride are vastly different, with Florida's being vastly superior, in my opinion. We rode DL's version and kept laughing about it afterwards. "Did we really walk through fake elevator doors, cross a hallway, then go through another set of elevator doors?"

lazyboy97o

The Florida and California versions of the ride are vastly different, with Florida's being vastly superior, in my opinion. We rode DL's version and kept laughing about it afterwards. "Did we really walk through fake elevator doors, cross a hallway, then go through another set of elevator doors?"
Is that any more ridiculous than the Florida elevators suddenly being in a massive shaft that is used for storage?

Tom

Beta Return
Is that any more ridiculous than the Florida elevators suddenly being in a massive shaft that is used for storage?

Yes, in my opinion. Considering that you're not supposed to notice where you are at unload in WDW. It's dimly lit with a few props around, but at least it's themed, and makes sense, given you're in a haunted elevator that can do anything.

In DCA, you stand there at a pair of elevator doors, watching the floor indicator...doors open, and you walk into a commercial hallway, then into another pair of elevator doors. The entire effect was lost on us as soon as those doors opened. We were obviously spoiled by having ridden WDW's first.

SpaceMountain75

I'm so glad this bothers someone else, haha!

SpaceMountain75

It more than bothers me, lol. My wife and I got off the ride ad both thought, "Sooooo....they finished building this, ran some trials, and everyone said, 'nailed it!'?"
I imagine them coming off the initial ride like this:
image.jpeg

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
It more than bothers me, lol. My wife and I got off the ride ad both thought, "Sooooo....they finished building this, ran some trials, and everyone said, 'nailed it!'?"
I believe the budget was something like half of the original WDW version.

Makes you think...What has Disney done as ambitious as the Orlando ToT? I can only think of Everest.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe the budget was something like half of the original WDW version.

Makes you think...What has Disney done as ambitious as the Orlando ToT? I can only think of Everest.
Everest? Not close. Standard coaster with very little show in a pretty from the outside building. Almost everything in ToT WDW was ambitious / groundbreaking / state of the art / unique.

Perhaps in ambition Kilimanjaro Safari is close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom