Totally Non-Disney (WHAT????) Trip Report to Iceland!

Kristia

Original Poster
So my husband and I took a big non-Disney trip! This is the first time we took a real vacation somewhere that had nothing to do with Disney. We have been other places but they have revolved around visiting friends or they were short cheaper driving trips. This was the first time we dropped some cash (although not as much as one might think) and went somewhere totally different. I put this in the Chit Chat section as not to clutter up the Trip Report Section although....Disney Cruise Line has Iceland in their itinerary for 2015!

So this trip came about in a sort-of impromptu way which is not the way we usually do things. My totally awesome hubby decided in October (so maybe not impromptu for him) he wanted to surprise me for Christmas. He came up with the idea of either a trip to Disney or a high-priced major zoom lens for my camera. About a week before Christmas, I saw an ad on Facebook from Icelandair. They were advertising packages that included airfare and hotel stay for a VERY reasonable price. I told him about it but quickly dismissed it because we really need to save money, tough to find people to watch the horses, yada, yada, yada...

On Christmas morning, after all our usual presents, he gave me an envelope. In it was a note with my choices and he had added Iceland to his original list. I was sooooo surprised! He had even made arrangements for someone to watch the animals if I decided on a trip. He had also been in contact with KK in case I picked Disney. I threw him for a loop with Iceland! I really had to mull over the choice a bit. We have always wanted to go to a Nordic country but I was nervous about traveling to another country, overseas, and it was so outside anything that we had ever done. And that was why I eventually went with that decision. If I didn't pick Iceland and go outside my comfort zone a little, I might never do it.

I went online the day after Christmas to book our trip. Unfortunately the deal had expired but we still got a good price by booking their budget getaway. Iceland is a relatively cheap getaway during their winter months. I really want to go in the summer but the prices triple. We got a 5 night stay, at a nice hotel with 2 different tours, airfare, and free breakfast buffet for about the same price as a stay at Moderate plus airfare for Disney.

On to the trip!

Icelandair flies direct to Iceland from Newark, NJ. We have to travel a bit (1.5 hours) to get to Newark, but it was worth it for the direct flight. I really liked Icelandair. They are a low-budget international airline so you do not get a meal but there is food available for purchase and you do get complimentary soft drinks, juice, water...etc. They also give everyone a complimentary bottle of water when you get on the plane. Icelandair has an excellent safety record and I have read that Icelandic pilots are some of the best in the world since they frequently have to fly in adverse weather conditions.

Our flight left on time and we were soon on our way!

On Our Way by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Each seat had an in-seat monitor on the seat in front. They had a good selection of movies and tv shows or you could view your flight progress. I ended up watching the movie Gravity and started watching the show "The Following". Darn it! Another show to be hooked on! The flight was the smoothest flight I had ever been on. Very uneventful, just the way I like my flights! 5 hours later we were landing at Keflavik International Airport. Yep....Iceland is only 5-5.5 hours from Newark! That surprises a lot of people.

Up next...lots more pictures!

Kristia

Original Poster
We landed in Keflavik a bit after 6 am their time. It was strange because we had left Newark at 8 pm. We had tried to nap on the plane, but that was pretty impossible. We were both too excited. It was still dark when we landed as their sunrise at the time was about 8 am. (We went the first week in March).

Some people are confused when they book their trip to Iceland with the airport situation. International flights land at the international airport located in Keflavik. Sometimes it is referred to as Reykavik/Keflavik International Airport. There is a domestic airport located in Reykjavik. People assume when they are traveling to "Reykjavik" internationally they will be landing near the city. It is actually a 40 min drive from Keflavik to Reykjavik. We booked advance tickets on the Flybus which leaves from the airport and drops at various hotels or to a bus station where you can transfer to other buses to get to the rest of the hotels. It is much cheaper to get ticket on the Flybus rather than get a taxi. Taxis in Iceland are pretty pricey and it is a long drive. There are also car rentals at Keflavik but renting a car in Iceland is a bit dicey. I will explain that later.

We passed through customs easily and retrieved our luggage. Keflavik is a small airport compared to the US internationals so everything went quickly and easily. We exchanged a bit of money (most everywhere in Iceland accepts credit cards so we only got $100) and were on our way!

We boarded the Flybus (kind of like a Magical Express you have to pay for). One nice thing about Iceland is there is WiFi in lots of places including the Flybus! We were able to check our email and Facebook. There was not much to see since it was still dark! When we booked our package, our hotel is Flybus Plus which means it is one of the hotels that Flybus delivers direct to. We did have to stop at the bus station to let off people that were transferring.

Next stop....Icelandair Reykjavik Natura! This photo was taken later in the day since it was still dark when we arrived!

Icelandair Reykjavik Natura by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

The hotel looks a little dated on the outside but it was quite nice and modern on the inside. They had a lot of cool "people" sculptures made of wood. Out of the corner of my eye, I kept thinking they were real people!

Natura People by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Natura People II by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

They also had these cool sheep in front of the restaurant.

Natura Sheep by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Unfortunately, our room wasn't quite ready. The hotel had been fully booked the night before and check out wasn't till 11 am. It was only 8:30 am so they told us to check back in an hour. They put our name on a list saying what time we had come in and we were told that they would give rooms in the order people came in. We were tired and hungry and desperately in need of a nap. Since a nap was not to be, we went to the restaurant for breakfast. They serve a yummy breakfast buffet every morning. Some packages have the buffet included, others do not. Our package did but not for this morning. We paid out of pocket. Food is another thing that is pricey in Iceland. Since it is an island with a very short growing season, they have to import a lot. Our breakfast cost about $50. Thank goodness it was included with our room on the other mornings!

My first plate at breakfast...

Breakfast by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

I know I had a second plate but I didn't take a picture.

Kristia

Original Poster
I forgot to add, while we were waiting for our room, they did have a locked room to store your luggage. It was a self-store and they buzzed you into the room if you asked to store or retrieve your luggage. After breakfast, we checked back with reception and our room was ready! We went to retrieve our luggage and had to dig for a bit to get it out. We were the first bus in that morning and a lot of people had arrived after us. Most of the international flights seem to arrive early in the morning. Once we found our luggage we headed to the room for a rest!

The Natura is located next to Reykjavik Domestic Airport. When I say next too, I mean practically right on top of!
We were on the 3rd floor and had a view of the airport which Dan loved!!

This was right out our window (zoomed quite a bit but still outside the window)! And look at those mountains! We couldn't see them when we drove in!

Room with a View by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Another shot out the window
Room with a View II by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

The bedroom was very small in comparison to American standards but it was fine for us. The bed is 2 doubles pushed together. The bathroom (no pics) was REALLY tiny. When you opened the shower door all the way, you hit the toilet. The shower itself was really tiny also. I had to turn off the water to get soaped up as there was no room to move out of the water stream. And no wash cloths??? I am told that is a European thing? Oh well, it worked, it was clean, I wasn't complaining. We later talked to someone at another hotel and he said his shower/bathroom/room was equally small.

Natura Room by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Don't expect to watch much TV while there either. Unless you know Icelandic or want to watch the BBC news, it was slim pickings! That was ok because the hotel had free wi-fi so that kept us occupied in the evenings.

We took a nap till about noon and then set out for Reykjavik!

View from the third floor stair/elevator area.

View from Natura by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Spiral Staircase
Spiral Stairs by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Fireplace in the lobby
Natura Fireplace by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Last edited:

Kristia

Original Poster
Downtown Reykjavik was about a 15 min walk from our hotel. It wasn't a bad walk at all and we were lucky to have pretty good weather the whole time we were there. It was actually a bit warmer in Iceland than it was back home in Jersey. It ranged from low 30's to mid 40's while we were there although it is a bit windier than home so there is a wind chill. In some of the reviews I had read about this hotel, one of the complaints was the location. People didn't like the walk to downtown as there are hotels that are closer to the action. We were fine with it though. The hotel does offer free bus passes if you don't want to walk. The bus stop is right across the street from the hotel but buses only run ever 20 min to half hour so you have to plan your time accordingly. They also start later in the day on Sunday. Today was a beautiful day for a walk! In this picture you can see the church steeple. That is where we were going first.

On the Way to Downtown by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Beautiful streets and cute houses!
Reykjavik, Iceland by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

In this shot you can see a cat coming down the street. I found these Reykjavik cats funny. They always walked with a purpose. No wandering and lazing for these cats. They didn't even glance at you. They looked like they were too busy to bother with you. Tried to pet one but there was no stopping it. I saw a few kitties like this!
Reykjavik Street by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

I can see the water!

Last edited:

Kristia

Original Poster
After a short walk from the hotel, we finally found the church Hallgrimskirkja. It is pretty easy to find since the steeple towers above everything else in the city. We frequently used it for a landmark when finding our way around especially when we were trying to get back to the hotel.

Hallgrímskirkja by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

This church is absolutely beautiful. It was commissioned in 1937 and took 38 years to build. Work was started in 1945 and it wasn't completed till 1986. The architect designed the church to resemble the basalt lava flows of Icelands landscape.

These were taken a little later in the trip but I figured that I would throw them in here.

The statue outside the church is Leif Erikson. The statue was a gift to the people of Iceland from the United States.
Leif Erikson by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

The inside is beautiful as well.
Sanctuary - Hallgrimskirkja by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Inside Hallgrimskirkja by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

The pipe organ..
Pipe Organ - Hallgrimskirkja by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Kristia

Original Poster
The best part of Hallgrimskirkja is the observation tower. For a small fee that helps with the upkeep of the church you can ride an elevator to the observation area in the steeple. The views are incredible and it was well worth the fee!

Our hotel is on the upper left of the picture next to the runways.

I like this one because you can see people ice skating on the lake.

Ariel484

I love this! Thanks for posting. :) Kudos to Dan for such a great Christmas gift!

Your photos are beautiful...so crazy that it was a relatively short, direct flight from NJ. I had no idea!

Kristia

Original Poster
Loving your trip report. The town looks so beautiful. Looking forward to reading more!
Thanks for reading! It was beautiful!
I love this! Thanks for posting. :) Kudos to Dan for such a great Christmas gift!

Your photos are beautiful...so crazy that it was a relatively short, direct flight from NJ. I had no idea!
Thanks Shannon! It was awesome. Dan spoils me! I love that the flight is pretty short. I can't wait to go back! I think Disney has a run for its money with this trip. There were so many things we wanted to do but not enough time and it is a photographer's dream!
Love the report!! Thanks for posting!!
Thank you! Glad you are enjoying it!
Awesome, awesome trip report so far. So different, and this so awesome!
Thanks so much!

coachwnh

Always been a dream of mine to see Iceland. Thats awesome you were able to go. Cant wait to see more. I hope there are glacier and volcano pictures!!!!!! :inlove:

Kristia

Original Poster
Always been a dream of mine to see Iceland. Thats awesome you were able to go. Cant wait to see more. I hope there are glacier and volcano pictures!!!!!! :inlove:
It was awesome and I highly recommend it! Very affordable in the off season. Their most expensive months are July and August. Unfortunately we didn't get to the glaciers and volcanoes but we did see a lot of cool stuff. There just wasn't enough time to see everything. Gives me an excuse to go back!
Beautiful pictures! I'm enjoying reading about your trip.
Thanks Beth!
I've never even thought of going to Iceland! Looks beautiful!
It was beautiful! Glad you are enjoying the report. Thanks for reading!

Kristia

Original Poster
So when I left off, we had just visited the beautiful church, Hallgrimskirkja. I had a few things that I had researched before we left on this trip that I really wanted to see. A couple of the must-see sights are found along the walkway around Reykjavik Harbor so that is where we went.

I love as you walk down the streets toward the harbor that you can see the water from quite a distance. It is so surreal.

I also love how so many of the buildings are so bright and colorful. I want to eat here sometime. It looked like such a cool place.
Drekinn by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

We soon reached the harbor walkway and found the second must-see on my list. The Sun Voyager Sculpture was meant to be an ode to the sun symbolizing light and hope. Most people see it as a sculpture depicting a Viking ship. Whichever it is, it really is a beautiful sculpture in a beautiful setting.
Sun Voyager II by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Sun Voyager I by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

We continued our walk around the harbor taking in the beautiful views.

Boat with Mt. Esja as a backdrop.
Mt Esja by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Common Eider
Common Eider by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Our next stop was the Harpa. The Harpa is an impressive new concert hall that opened in 2011. The steel building is clad with geometric panes of different colors that really give the building an interesting feel especially when you are inside. This outside picture is from our last day which explains the gray snowy day. I didn't think to take an outside picture the first day we were there. Doh!

Harpa by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Inside the Harpa..
Inside the Harpa by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

This photo is taken looking straight up at the ceiling. It makes you crazy dizzy to see all those panes connecting in different ways!
Beautiful Windows by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Harpa by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

The place is huge! There is a gift shop, a café and the concert areas. They also had musicians playing at the two ends of the building. Very neat place.

Stay tuned! More to come tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom