Top 5 Movies for 2016 (They did it)

Matt_Black

The thing is, they pulled out something in the hopes of getting approved when they knew, or at least suspected, that other elements would have gotten it denied anyway. It's not even cowardice at that point.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
The thing is, they pulled out something in the hopes of getting approved when they knew, or at least suspected, that other elements would have gotten it denied anyway. It's not even cowardice at that point.
Except nothing was removed from the movie for that reason, a few wink-wink-nudge moments were lost because there were a lot of scenes cut for time in the theatrical release but all the more obvious ones were left in. Holtzmann was modified to reflect Kate McKinnon's style and the character is pretty firmly coded as LGBT in the theatrical release. Paul Feig and team were skilled enough to make it obvious to those of us that are LGBT without having to make her kiss anyone. Yes, Feig was concerned that if it was frankly stated in the movie he would get notes back from Sony, hence his "hate to be coy" comments on the subject. And that was likely part of his many considerations while putting the final product together, but nothing was removed from the movie because it of it.

There is a vast difference between being forced to change something and being cautious with the edit itself.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Our current standings are:

1 Captain America: Civil War - $1,153.3
2 Zootopia - $1,023.6
3 Finding Dory - $1,011.1
4 The Jungle Book (2016) - $966.3
5 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - $873.3
6 The Secret Life of Pets - $858.4

I expect Zootopia and Dory will swap, along with BvS and Pets within the next 2 weeks.

Fox&Hound

Was I the only one who wanted to love "Pets" but found it did not live up to expectations?

Can't wait for Moana and I hope it, along with the others, does well for Disney. Glad to see Disney on top. People can say what they want about Iger and his acquisitions but I love that Disney is such a poplar brand with so many popular IP's. For a while people only associated Disney with Mickey and company and Disney princesses (not that they are not beloved) but it's cool to see Disney in the limelight basking in creative success. =)

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Current standings in millions:

2 Zootopia - $1,023.6
3 Finding Dory - $1,021.0
4 The Jungle Book - $966.4

_______
I was a little off with my estimation of Zootopia and Dory swapping, it's still likely to happen as Dory is only 2.6 million behind. Pets slowed down considerably so it looks like BvS is going to keep it's #5 spot for the time being.

Doctor Strange is already preforming in the middle of the MCU pack in the foreign market at $87.7 million for it's first weekend; the highest so far of any MCU movie not featuring Robert Downey Jr. in it. I'm still not expecting a billion dollar box out of it but it could preform similar or maybe higher than Guardians of the Galaxy; a top 10 spot is possible.

Moana buzz is somewhat evened out, still high but not accelerating. Maybe we'll see an uptick in a week or so.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is still the biggest threat to a 5 for 5 finish this year for Disney.

Rogue One is still poised to be the #1 spot.

Princess Leia

Going to see Doctor Strange tonight. After months of thinking that I wasn't going to see it, the reviews are winning me over (what critics seem to be split on is deciding whether or not Rachel McAdams was necessary to the plot or not). I know it's not going to be in the top 5, and we'll see how it performs against Trolls this weekend, but maybe it could reach the #10 spot?

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Saw a late show of Doctor Strange last night. I feel it's a solid B or B- of a movie, not amazing but Civil War is a hard act to follow. It's still doing middle of MCU pack on the metrics out there at the moment, but final weekend box will give a better read. I'm guessing $700-$720 mill on the low side, $780-800 on the best side.

Aside: A friend saw a media showing of Fantastic Beasts and she felt kind of wishy-washy on it.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Uh oh.
I just wish it was a book before it was a movie. The Potter books were packed with detail, and I feel like some of that will be lost in the movie (like Cursed Child).
She didn't imply that the movie was bad thankfully, I think she is just concerned they've made a mistake billing it as part of the "Harry Potter universe" rater than it's own thing ... that just happens to be in the same magical world.

Princess Leia

She didn't imply that the movie was bad thankfully, I think she is just concerned they've made a mistake billing it as part of the "Harry Potter universe" rater than it's own thing ... that just happens to be in the same magical world.
From what I've heard, Dumbledore & Grindelwald will eventually show up, so in a way, it will be a true prequel of sorts. Though the only prequel that I want Rowling to write is about the Marauders and the first war with Voldemort.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
From what I've heard, Dumbledore & Grindelwald will eventually show up, so in a way, it will be a true prequel of sorts. Though the only prequel that I want Rowling to write is about the Marauders and the first war with Voldemort.

That appears to be the side plan with the series. It feels a bit like a cheap-out to me though. Like they didn't want to commit 100% to doing an original story so they built in this insurance plan to go the prequel route if they need to. All of the marketing has been targeted towards already interested Harry Potter parties; that's fine but it's not going to gain them any new butts-in-seats.

(I'm with you, call me when That 70s Hogwarts happens.)

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Dory moved ahead of Zootopia; and Pets is only 2.8 million under BvS.

2 Finding Dory - $1,024.0
3 Zootopia - $1,023.6
4 The Jungle Book - $966.4

Doctor Strange doing good at an estimated 325+ million world wide.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Almost movement in our Top 5. Pets is 2.2 mil behind BvS as of 9/9.

Doctor Strange is preforming nearly identically both domestically and international totals to Thor 2 (Marvel's only other November release). While Thor 2 "only" had a world wide box of $644.57 million, Doctor Strange is projected to do better in both markets. So far in it's 2nd international weekend it's brought in the same as Thor 2, 240.7 million to Thor 2's 240.9 million, while being release in fewer markets, 28 to Thor 2's 48 markets.

Doctor Strange entered the Top 20 for the year, at #19, this week. Estimations after this coming weekend put between $490-510 million world wide. The weekend after that it will get it's first real competition in Fantastic Beasts.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Our top 5 again is nearly identical after the weekend; The Secret Life of Pets is 1.3 million behind Batman v Superman and will likely overtake the #5 spot.

Doctor Strange landed at #12 with an estimated 492.6 million worldwide. Notably, Doctor Strange only had a -49.4% drop in it's second domestic weekend, typically Marvel movies drop -55% to -60% in that space. It's been since 2012's Avengers that a Marvel movie enjoyed that small of a drop (-50.3%). Only 2 in the series had had lesser drops, the original Iron Man(-48.1%) and Thor(-47.2%) movies.

Princess Leia

Our top 5 again is nearly identical after the weekend; The Secret Life of Pets is 1.3 million behind Batman v Superman and will likely overtake the #5 spot.

Doctor Strange landed at #12 with an estimated 492.6 million worldwide. Notably, Doctor Strange only had a -49.4% drop in it's second domestic weekend, typically Marvel movies drop -55% to -60% in that space. It's been since 2012's Avengers that a Marvel movie enjoyed that small of a drop (-50.3%). Only 2 in the series had had lesser drops, the original Iron Man(-48.1%) and Thor(-47.2%) movies.
The next 2 weeks should be interesting. Fantastic Beasts comes out this Friday, and Moana is out in theaters on the 23rd (the Wednesday release should help it's numbers)

Princess Leia

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was way better than I was expecting. I've been an HP fan for 16 years, and it was so nice to watch something and be surprised again.

That being said, I don't know how well this will do with non-Potter fans. Sure, it's a new story, but the title is a bit of a mouthful. Also, this isn't one I would take small children to see. No sooner would I think "Aw this is cute", would something very dark happen. There were at least 3 scenes that I would consider somewhat disturbing (without spoilers, American magical law enforcement can be incredibly ruthless, unless they were all under the Imperious curse, which I doubt).

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was way better than I was expecting. I've been an HP fan for 16 years, and it was so nice to watch something and be surprised again.

That being said, I don't know how well this will do with non-Potter fans. Sure, it's a new story, but the title is a bit of a mouthful. Also, this isn't one I would take small children to see. No sooner would I think "Aw this is cute", would something very dark happen. There were at least 3 scenes that I would consider somewhat disturbing (without spoilers, American magical law enforcement can be incredibly ruthless, unless they were all under the Imperious curse, which I doubt).

This is what I've been hearing. Mostly that it's really great, but it's not going to pull in non-Potter people. Which is essential to building a "new" franchise out of an existing fan-base, particularly one that's aimed at an older audience that will naturally have some attrition rate.

The forecasted estimates for it's domestic weekend, as late as Thursday, were in the $82-89 million range. Those same outfits are now estimating $76-ish million. That's a fairly significant expectation drop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom