Top 5 Movies for 2016 (They did it)

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
In my box office researching today I noticed that Disney currently has the top 4 spots for world wide grossing movies so far this year.
  • Captain America 3 at 1.15 Billion
  • Zootopia at just over 1 Billion
  • Jungle Book at 955.6 Million
  • Finding Dory at 916.4 Million
(Batman v Superman is 5th with 872.7 Million)

They already set the record for fastest studio to 1 Billion this year, shaving over a month off the previous record and doing it in 128 days. In looking at the movies yet to be released this year I don't see many notable movies that might crack over 900 Million. Maybe a few movies like Magnificent Seven, Fantastic Beasts, or Assassin's Creed could. But Disney has Rogue One, which is likely to land in the top 5, if not #1, easily. (I'm not expecting Doctor Strange or Moana to make it quite that high on the list but they could rank in the top 10 without much issue as it stands now.)

As far as I've been able to find out no studio has ever been able to claim the top 5 movies in a year. I haven't even found a studio that's managed the top 3 in a year yet.

You think Disney could do it this year?

Flippin'Flounder

They will have at least another movie beat BvS (Whether that's Dr. Strange, Moana or, more likely, Rogue One, I'm not sure) The issue is whether or Not Fantastic Beasts will do better, at least that's my opinion.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
I feel that Fantastic Beasts has the best chance of getting into the top 5. All of the movies in the Potter franchise have done over 875 Million except Prisoner of Azkaban. We'll kind of have to see how it gets billed once the advert campaign starts in earnest. It's just a hard guess how it's going to be received by the core Potter fans. Of course we're never really dormant but there's been more excitement this year than typical.

The buzz on Magnificent Seven is very positive and many of the cast have loyal fan bases. I think it has a mild chance of being an unexpected hit.

Rogue One is going to be big. Maybe not as big as Episode VII, but I'm confidant it's going to be a Billion dollar movie at least. I'm in event management and we've had about 4 times as many calls about Rogue One related things than we've had about our next most movie related calls, which was Civil War. For reference we started getting calls about Rogue One a few months before Episode VII came out, and we started getting calls about Episode VII before they even started filming it. (We're already getting calls about Episode VIII and the Han Solo movie.)

Magenta Panther

They will have at least another movie beat BvS (Whether that's Dr. Strange, Moana or, more likely, Rogue One, I'm not sure) The issue is whether or Not Fantastic Beasts will do better, at least that's my opinion.

So far, I'm not finding Moana even remotely compelling. The trailers are awful. I don't like the characters' design, and I have no idea what the movie is about. :p

doctornick

Rogue One will definitely be in the top 5, I suspect it will pass Civil War for #1 this year, so whether or not Disney has the top 5 will depend entirely on whether something else cracks in.

It's possible that an animated film like Storks or Sing might be a break out hit and get into the top 5. Otherwise, I really think it's up to Fantastic Beasts.

Moana is an interesting debate. I think it's floor is around $650M but it could easily catch on (especially with a princess and the Rock and Lin-Manuel) and do gangbusters and be another $1B film like Zootopia.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Rogue One will definitely be in the top 5, I suspect it will pass Civil War for #1 this year, so whether or not Disney has the top 5 will depend entirely on whether something else cracks in.

It's possible that an animated film like Storks or Sing might be a break out hit and get into the top 5. Otherwise, I really think it's up to Fantastic Beasts.

Moana is an interesting debate. I think it's floor is around $650M but it could easily catch on (especially with a princess and the Rock and Lin-Manuel) and do gangbusters and be another $1B film like Zootopia.

My estimate on Rogue One is in the 1.3-1.45 Billion range. There are really no other contenders for a movie over Civil War's take this year. It would be nice for Moana to do a Billion but I'm not expecting anything much over Big Hero 6's numbers ($688 Mil) even with the names attached to it.

Doctor Strange is a hard guess, it's a new character for the MCU but a bigger name actor with a dedicated fan base. It might be like the first Captain America/Thor/Ant-Man movies and do 400-500 Million, on the other hand it might capture a lot of re-watchers like Guardians/Iron Man 3/Civil War did and pull 800 Million or more. (I love Doctor Strange in the comics but I'm hesitant on how well it will do in a movie.)

An animated feature like Storks, Sing, or Trolls could always be a surprise hit. They're all doing a good amount of advertising and it looks like there is a slightly lower than average number of animated family movies this Fall. But getting over that $916 Million for Finding Dory (assuming a Top 5 spot for Rogue One) is a big hurdle.

Magenta Panther

Yeah, you were also down on the premise for Big Hero 6, and then quickly jumped on the bandwagon once the box office receipts and reviews came in.

Wow, that's a whopper, even for you. I rented BH6 because it was animated by Disney, and found that I liked it, and then I bought it. By contrast, I don't own a copy of Frozen. Despite its reviews and box-office receipts.

You do like to troll this place and pick fights with people, don't you? And you keep getting your butt handed to you, and yet you persist. It's getting a little pathetic, Matt. Maybe you ought to try to find other ways to make yourself feel better. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Wow, that's a whopper, even for you. I rented BH6 because it was animated by Disney, and found that I liked it, and then I bought it. By contrast, I don't own a copy of Frozen. Despite its reviews and box-office receipts.

You do like to troll this place and pick fights with people, don't you? And you keep getting your butt handed to you, and yet you persist. It's getting a little pathetic, Matt. Maybe you ought to try to find other ways to make yourself feel better. Just a thought.

Ahem.

Well, Diz was smart to focus on the humor in the situation. I'll give it that much.

But...wha??? What's this supposed to be about? A kid discovers the spawn of the Sta-Puf Marshmallow Man? Or is this supposed to be "The Polyethylene Giant? " :p

Seriously, it looks kinda cute, but I don't see why Disney is using Marvel for this at all. A kid building his own robot is an idea that's as old as the hills. Pass.

Magenta Panther

Blah, blah, blah, from the usual bitter Muppet nards *yawn*. You're still full of it. The reason I changed my mind about BH6 is because, Marvel-inspired or not, it was still animated by WDAS, and I got curious. I watched it and was delighted to find that it's a fun movie with real heart. It was adapted and plussed from its source material in the grand Disney style, and I enjoyed it and I bought it. That's it. To repeat (since the point, as usual, escapes you), Frozen did much better financially and I'm still not cheerleading for that flick. Really, do you have any idea how you come off around here? Such devoted Muppet fans, and yet the let's-all-get-along lessons of Sesame Street didn't seem to take with you. Maybe you guys ought to stop watching puppet shows and grow up. :rolleyes:

Matt_Black

Blah, blah, blah, from the usual bitter Muppet nards *yawn*. You're still full of it. The reason I changed my mind about BH6 is because, Marvel-inspired or not, it was still animated by WDAS, and I got curious. I watched it and was delighted to find that it's a fun movie with real heart. It was adapted and plussed from its source material in the grand Disney style, and I enjoyed it and I bought it. That's it. To repeat (since the point, as usual, escapes you), Frozen did much better financially and I'm still not cheerleading for that flick. Really, do you have any idea how you come off around here? Such devoted Muppet fans, and yet the let's-all-get-along lessons of Sesame Street didn't seem to take with you. Maybe you guys ought to stop watching puppet shows and grow up. :rolleyes:

So, if you were willing to give BH6 a chance, why not Moana?

Matt_Black

So, out of all the promotional material that is out for this film so far, including but not limited to story synopsis, cast interviews, concept art, and lord knows what else, you're dismissing this movie because two TEASER trailers, less than a minute in length each, failed to impress you?

Magenta Panther

So, out of all the promotional material that is out for this film so far, including but not limited to story synopsis, cast interviews, concept art, and lord knows what else, you're dismissing this movie because two TEASER trailers, less than a minute in length each, failed to impress you?

65617875.jpg

216bruce

"usual bitter Muppet nerds"? A bit of a reach actually. I like/love the 70's Muppets and the show from then as they were a cultural touchstone for many of us around 'back in the day'. Really didn't care for the new /ex series at all and wasn't sold on the second 'new' movie (loved the first reboot , though). I respect your opinions about everything else you post about, agree with a great deal of it too and posted the 'jibe' as a good natured nod to your VERY well known Muppet dislike. But, when someone has such an intense reaction(s) about puppets/fictional characters or franchises, they should step back and reevaluate things. Seriously. It'd be better for you. I despise ABBA, Disco,The Yankees and don't care for the Dark Knight movies but I don't go ballistic over it if someone likes them and praises them. I ignore it and move on. Nope, Never watched Sesame Street as a kid. It wasn't around then. Here, we were raised watching Warner Bros. shorts, 3 Stooges shorts, Fleisher cartoons of Superman and Popeye and my fave...>The Little Rascals/Our Gang. All highly superior in preparation for the real world when compared to Sesame Street.
Submitted with respect.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

"usual bitter Muppet nerds"? A bit of a reach actually. I like/love the 70's Muppets and the show from then as they were a cultural touchstone for many of us around 'back in the day'. Really didn't care for the new /ex series at all and wasn't sold on the second 'new' movie (loved the first reboot , though). I respect your opinions about everything else you post about, agree with a great deal of it too and posted the 'jibe' as a good natured nod to your VERY well known Muppet dislike. But, when someone has such an intense reaction(s) about puppets/fictional characters or franchises, they should step back and reevaluate things. Seriously. It'd be better for you. I despise ABBA, Disco,The Yankees and don't care for the Dark Knight movies but I don't go ballistic over it if someone likes them and praises them. I ignore it and move on. Nope, Never watched Sesame Street as a kid. It wasn't around then. Here, we were raised watching Warner Bros. shorts, 3 Stooges shorts, Fleisher cartoons of Superman and Popeye and my fave...>The Little Rascals/Our Gang. All highly superior in preparation for the real world when compared to Sesame Street.
Submitted with respect.

Okay. Anyway, I voiced an opinion of a movie based on its trailers and promotional materials, all of which are designed to arouse audience interest, and in my case, they didn't. And our resident silly man tried to pick a fight with me over it, and then you joined in, pulling Muppet references out of the blue. I think you might need to examine your own behavior before you judge someone else's. Submitted with respect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom