Disregard

jimbo mack

I'm from UK - you certainly won't see guests from here wear long sleeved shirts tucked into trousers lol. We rarely get hot weather in the U.K. so please don't judge us if we wear vests in the parks etc. We are just embracing the novelty of sun and warmth! We are certainly not intending to dress inappropriately.

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

For many first-timers who have never experienced Disney like most of us here on the forums have, their initial taste of what to expect during a typical WDW vacation is found through images portrayed during one of the many television commercials used to promote the parks and resorts. Some of us are familiar with the numerous commercials Disney has used, dating back decades. They bring about a sense of inner joy, anticipation for an upcoming trip, nostalgia of fond memories past, and sometimes, yes sometimes, a debate on how legitimate (or not) some of the images are when it comes to realistically giving that first-timer watching from his / her TV or device, what truly is in store once they step onto those sacred grounds for their very first visit to the place we call home.

So, in the spirit of just for fun, I decided to compose my very own top-10 list of knowledge and tidbits of advice I've gathered from viewing the wide array of WDW commercials over the years. I hope you enjoy, and maybe use some of the tips & tricks I've discovered from the commercials to better enhance your future vacations. Now, without further delay, I give you:
Top-10 Things I've Learned From WDW Commercials.

1. Mickey Is Just Waiting To Meet Your Kid.
View attachment 221592
One of the main things I've learned from watching WDW commercials throughout the years, is that Mickey is very easy to find, is usually secluded by himself in a very centralized location, and just waiting (with no crowds involved) to meet you! This is a good tip to keep in mind, as many people have come under the impression that meeting the Big Cheese involves lines, and hordes of other eager families between your child and that coveted hug & autograph. But as the commercials clearly illustrate, all you need to do is keep your eyes peeled (preferably in areas such as right in the middle of Main Street, or directly in front of the castle), and there he will be just hanging around, free of the mobs of other park guests, and ready for your child to run up and greet! It's as simple as that.

2. If You're A Large Family, Spread Across As Much Walkway As Possible

View attachment 221593
If you're one of those families which brings three generations with you to explore the parks together, make sure you're doing so as stretched-out as possible like a moving chain link fence. Heck, the characters might even join you for this mobile game of Red Rover maneuvering down the streets of MK. Point I'm trying to make is, single file is overrated. Sure you may get the occasional dirty look or "excuse me" from selfish park guests who find it difficult to squeeze by or don't appreciate your stylish blockade. However, it is their folly for not learning from the commercials that this is how you walk the parks in bulk. Spread out wide to do your theme park stride!

3. Tourists ALWAYS Know How To Dress To Impress.
View attachment 221594
This one's kinda obvious, especially for those of us who've frequented the parks multiple, multiple times. One thing you'll notice from every tourist you encounter during your Disney vacation is how classy and stylish their chosen apparels are. From the always tucked-in, collared polo shirts worn by the gentlemen, to the elegant blouses and ankle length dresses sported by the lovely ladies, there is no denying that taste and sophistication run rampant with all those who enter the park gates. Fact.

4. The Princess Pasture
View attachment 221595
Similar to #1's tip about meeting Mickey with no crowds involved, only this time it's the Disney princesses whom you can mix & mingle with sans the headache of lengthy wait times. The best place to look is in any open grass area adjacent to Cinderella Castle around mid-afternoon. There you'll find a random Disney princess waiting to say hello to your little princess. Wait times vary depending on how fast your child can run up and extend arms for that warm hug.

5. Characters On Every Ride!
View attachment 221596
You might as well tell your children to just expect a ride with some Disney character on every ride they go on...because as the commercials show us, that's pretty much a given: Ride = character sitting right next to you. It's as easy as that.

6. No Crowds During Fireworks
View attachment 221597
There's no denying that a great way to escape it all and catch a little alone time is to watch the fireworks from right smack in the middle of Main Street.
Bonus Tip: You're practically guaranteed an obstruction-free view every show.

7. It Never Ever Rains In Florida. Ever.
View attachment 221598
I mean, duh.

8. Strollers Don't Exist, And Walkways Usually Seem Deserted.
View attachment 221599
The only thing you'll find clogging up paths at Disney is a sea of more open path. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or simply isn't doing WDW the right way.

9. The Seven Dwarfs Like To Rap.

View attachment 221600
Just as Walt intended...

And finally...

10. Mickey Hangs Out On Top Of SSE For Some Reason.
View attachment 221601
It makes absolutely no sense, but the view has got to be spectacular.

So there you have it folks, my top-10 list of neat bits of knowledge and secrets I've gathered from those timeless WDW commercials that we hold dear. If you have found some tips or knowledge of your own from past commercials you'd like to share, feel free to post away. Whoever said there was no truth in advertising obviously never used some of the tips & tricks found in past WDW commercials. But it's their loss. Because while they're fighting the mobs for that perfect firework viewing spot, or having to book a M&G months in advance, those of us who paid attention to the commercials know how to do Disney the right way.

Disclaimer: This post was done in jest. Do not take it seriously. Do not take me seriously. I realize commercials have to make things appear more lavish than they actually are. I do not recommend that anyone use the tips listed above in future vacation planning. If you do, that is your misfortune.
I'm Batman.
I wish I could like this post multiple, multiple times.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've always said if I were Universal I'd cut a commercial that starts with screaming kids, arguing parents, long lines, and delays. Then at the end I'd say "Universal: The Alternative" or something like that. LOL! Still can't imagine my life without Disneyworld and could never imagine putting any other park or resort ahead of it. In SPITE of all the things I just mentioned. My personal favorite Disney commercial was the one where the kid can't sleep because he's "too excited" and then it cuts to the mom asking the dad why he's still awake and he says "because I'm too excited!" That's me to a tee. I've also always said that Disney commercials are some of the greatest lessons in false advertising I've ever seen. I HAVE seen characters ride rides with kids though. Back when EMH used to really thin out the MK and would last til 1 or 2 in the morning I saw Chip and Dale ride Dumbo with a little kid one time. Not gonna lie. I was a little jealous and so was my wife. LOL!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

You missed one of my favorites in spite of picturing it. Be sure to put your kid on your shoulders during the fireworks because there will be nobody behind you to care.
No the best is be sure to show up to the bus stop just as it gets there and then jump right on ahead of all the people who have waited in the sweltering sun for 30 minutes and be sure to take their seat and make them stand for the whole trip. Gotta keep it classy people. LOL! People like that make me want to follow them to Soarin' and after they've waited for 90 minutes and finally make it to the front and then I just come barreling through the queue and just jump right on in their spot and say "Oh. You've been WAITING for this spot the whole time???"

brb1006

The funny thing about some the examples is that the example of finding Mickey at the various locations actually used to be a thing at WDW since it reminded me of the wandering character era of the 70's through the mid 90's. While the characters riding some of the attractions still happen at Disneyland and some of the other parks occasionally while not as often at WDW these days. However it's more common at Prince Charming Regal Carousel if your lucky.

brb1006

I've always said if I were Universal I'd cut a commercial that starts with screaming kids, arguing parents, long lines, and delays. Then at the end I'd say "Universal: The Alternative" or something like that. LOL! Still can't imagine my life without Disneyworld and could never imagine putting any other park or resort ahead of it. In SPITE of all the things I just mentioned. My personal favorite Disney commercial was the one where the kid can't sleep because he's "too excited" and then it cuts to the mom asking the dad why he's still awake and he says "because I'm too excited!" That's me to a tee. I've also always said that Disney commercials are some of the greatest lessons in false advertising I've ever seen. I HAVE seen characters ride rides with kids though. Back when EMH used to really thin out the MK and would last til 1 or 2 in the morning I saw Chip and Dale ride Dumbo with a little kid one time. Not gonna lie. I was a little jealous and so was my wife. LOL!
Here's a video of Mickey and Minnie on the teacups and Dumbo at Hong Kong.

And various Disney characters on the Carousel at WDW back in 2008.

My favorite is this one where the Mad Hatter and Alice are riding the Tea Cups at Disneyland and the Mad Hatter started screaming. lol

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm from UK - you certainly won't see guests from here wear long sleeved shirts tucked into trousers lol. We rarely get hot weather in the U.K. so please don't judge us if we wear vests in the parks etc. We are just embracing the novelty of sun and warmth! We are certainly not intending to dress inappropriately.
You don't wear a full suit and tie to the parks :jawdrop:. My good sir you are letting our proud nation down by dressing like the colonials.

Nextinline

@Batman - very well written, thanks for the laugh this morning.

I love how in #6 , even though there is a completely unobstructed view, the kid still has to be on the dad's shoulders! :facepalm: I guess he has to see over the partners statue.

Something that I find mildly annoying in recent Disney ads- all they show are people. People laughing, smiling, walking, close ups on rides, eating. It is all focusing on how much fun these random people are having. There is no focus on the actual attractions or parks themselves. Like they have to prove that being in a Disney park will make you happy. Show us the attractions/park/castle! That's what makes us happy! I don't care about some random paid actor laughing next to some other paid actor!

plutofan15

That is so cool that your family got to be part of an ad like that, and how you make it a tradition to meet up with your friends' families once a year, despite living so far apart. Nice segment.

Very cool indeed. Two of us families will be heading down next week for another trip (one could not make it this year). Always fun to see how much the kids have grown; especially my daughter. She was the infant just beginning to walk at the end.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I was thinking about your point # 5, not so much about a character on every ride--but, just the fact that all the rides are always in service

I've never see this in a WDW commercial. ;)

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%2012.54.08%20AM-600x420.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom